Wharfedale Evo Series 4.2 vs 4.3

Aidan34

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently auditioned a pair of Evo 4.2s with a cambridge audio cxa 80 and I think they're the speakers for me. I'm quite tempted to go up to the 4.3s. The only issue is I can't get an audition of the 4.3s does anyone have experience with the 4.3s are they worth the 400 pound bump up in price?

Cheers

Gray

Hi All,

I recently auditioned a pair of Evo 4.2s with a cambridge audio cxa 80 and I think they're the speakers for me. I'm quite tempted to go up to the 4.3s. The only issue is I can't get an audition of the 4.3s does anyone have experience with the 4.3s are they worth the 400 pound bump up in price?

Cheers
I liked the look (and price) of those Evo's when I first saw them, bit surprised we don't hear more about them here on the forum.

Depends whether standmount or floorstander will be better suited to your situation.
Assume you've got some stands? otherwise that would add to the 4.2s price and narrow the gap.
£400 doesn't seem an excessive bump when you consider the extra drivers and cabinets......and if you've got the money spare....
Shame the 4.2 auditioning dealer didn't have the 4.3s for you to hear, as comparing is your best option.

Reactions: Aidan34

Aidan34

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
I liked the look (and price) of those Evo's when I first saw them, bit surprised we don't hear more about them here on the forum.

Depends whether standmount or floorstander will be better suited to your situation.
Assume you've got some stands? otherwise that would add to the 4.2s price and narrow the gap.
£400 doesn't seem an excessive bump when you consider the extra drivers and cabinets......and if you've got the money spare....
Shame the 4.2 auditioning dealer didn't have the 4.3s for you to hear, as comparing is your best option.
I've already got the stands, so covered on that front. Not sure it's worth the extra few hundred for a blind buy. Awful shame I cant get a demo of the 4.3. I'm sure they're a great speaker. Im just trying to jsirudy the spend now

D

Deleted member 108165

Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmode101

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
I've already got the stands, so covered on that front. Not sure it's worth the extra few hundred for a blind buy. Awful shame I cant get a demo of the 4.3. I'm sure they're a great speaker. Im just trying to jsirudy the spend now
For what its worth id stick with the 4.2s if you've already got decent stands

ive got the 4.2s matched with CXA 81 Amp and the sound is outstanding the bass is amazing deep yet tuneful that mid dome is the star of the show blends so well with the highs and the lows.

The more i listen to them the more I'm in ore

One of Wharfedales finest

Reactions: Aidan34 and Gray

Ian J Hicks

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site

ive got the 4.2s matched with CXA 81 Amp and the sound is outstanding the bass is amazing deep yet tuneful that mid dome is the star of the show blends so well with the highs and the lows.

Really glad I saw this post. Was looking for speakers to pair with my CXA81, CXC Transport and Rega Planar 6 and have been really tempted by the Evo 4.2's so thanks...

Reactions: Dmode101

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site

Hi, I have a CXA 81 and I am very interested in the Wharfedale Evo 4.1 & 4.2's. May I ask the room size and how far your listening position is from the speakers? I would love to buy the 4.2's but i'm concerned my listening position of 8ft might be too close to enjoy the speakers fully. My Room size is around 9.5ft x 14ft.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to on them? My listening preferences would be mainly Reggae, Hip Hop, Dance, Rock but I generally listen to all sorts. Have you any experience listening to those genres of music on them?

I was thinking that if my listening position is too close for the 4.2's then the 4.1's might be a good option but i'm struggling to find any reviews on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dmode101

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have a CXA 81 and I am very interested in the Wharfedale Evo 4.1 & 4.2's. May I ask the room size and how far your listening position is from the speakers? I would love to buy the 4.2's but i'm concerned my listening position of 8ft might be too close to enjoy the speakers fully. My Room size is around 9.5ft x 14ft.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to on them? My listening preferences would be mainly Reggae, Hip Hop, Dance, Rock but I generally listen to all sorts. Have you any experience listening to those genres of music on them?

I was thinking that if my listening position is too close for the 4.2's then the 4.1's might be a good option but i'm struggling to find any reviews on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi
So my room size is just slightly larger than yours (16ft by 11ft) the speakers run along the short side of the wall (11ft) and are approx 1foot away from the wall and ive brought them out more than a foot but i prefer where they are now without no bass boom what so ever but the bass is so deep and beautiful sounding.

I listen to all sorts of music and any genre sounds fab

The great thing about your amp is it'll get a grip on the the speakers and just boss them and won't let the sound messy flabby bright sounding you'll just get this amazing 3d sounding sound which just puts this stupid grin on my face.

For me they're that amazing if you haven't already there are several reviews/you tube videos on the speakers and are all positive in fact one video reviews go no to say that in his option the CXA81 and the Evo 4.2 are the best sounding pairing he's heard.

I did consider the 4.1s but i really wanted to have the mid dome which for me really is the star in the 4.2s sound it just makes the music sound like its live in my living room if you know what i mean lol

hope this helps.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi
So my room size is just slightly larger than yours (16ft by 11ft) the speakers run along the short side of the wall (11ft) and are approx 1foot away from the wall and ive brought them out more than a foot but i prefer where they are now without no bass boom what so ever but the bass is so deep and beautiful sounding.

I listen to all sorts of music and any genre sounds fab

The great thing about your amp is it'll get a grip on the the speakers and just boss them and won't let the sound messy flabby bright sounding you'll just get this amazing 3d sounding sound which just puts this stupid grin on my face.

For me they're that amazing if you haven't already there are several reviews/you tube videos on the speakers and are all positive in fact one video reviews go no to say that in his option the CXA81 and the Evo 4.2 are the best sounding pairing he's heard.

I did consider the 4.1s but i really wanted to have the mid dome which for me really is the star in the 4.2s sound it just makes the music sound like its live in my living room if you know what i mean lol

hope this helps.

Many thanks for your reply. I’ve watched many reviews on them and really want the 4.2’s but I think I watched one review that made me think twice due to my room size and listening position. I’d like to see the review where they say CXA81 & 4.2’s are the best combo, can you link it for me?

My speakers are running along the 14ft wall and point towards the 9.5 ft length of the room. Do you think they would still sound as good in that setting?

My favourite band are Fat Freddie’s Drop and I cant wait to get the amp and speaker combo just right so I can also sit with a stupid grin on my face whilst enjoying their work! If you get a moment listen to one of their songs called “Ernie” and let me know what type of grin it produces. If the grin is sufficiently silly enough I might just buy them instantly.

Thanks again!

Dmode101

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply. I’ve watched many reviews on them and really want the 4.2’s but I think I watched one review that made me think twice due to my room size and listening position. I’d like to see the review where they say CXA81 & 4.2’s are the best combo, can you link it for me?

My speakers are running along the 14ft wall and point towards the 9.5 ft length of the room. Do you think they would still sound as good in that setting?

My favourite band are Fat Freddie’s Drop and I cant wait to get the amp and speaker combo just right so I can also sit with a stupid grin on my face whilst enjoying their work! If you get a moment listen to one of their songs called “Ernie” and let me know what type of grin it produces. If the grin is sufficiently silly enough I might just buy them instantly.

Thanks again!
Ok so the video is on you tube and its a guy called zero fidelity and at about 14 mins in he talks about equipment recommendation sorry couldn't figure out how to get the link. just google evo 4.2 then look at videos

I just listened to fat freddie's drop (ernie) sounds amazing really fast fluid bass love the cheeky flute coming out behind the right speaker really lovely in fact ive just saved the whole album on spotify and had a quick blast through the tracks sounds really good so a big thanks for pointing that group out.

As far as positioning them along the long wall i reckon they'll sound absolutely fine ive always understood that speakers sound better along the longest wall unfortunately i can't set them up that way.

Good luck

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I created a thread hoping to get feedback from someone on here with experience of the 4.1's before I make my decision but so far it hasn't had any response. Your feedback has helped me to decided that I'm going to take a punt on the 4.2's and in the worst case scenario I'll sell them on and try the 4.1's.

I will let you know how I get along with them.

Many thanks for your reply. Glad you liked what you heard of Fat Freddy, their live performaces are incredible and better than the album versions. I highly reccomend their latest release, a live recording called "Lock In", its on spotify but you can also watch the full set on Youtube. If venturing on youtube check out the peformaces of "10 Feet Tall" "Blackbird" and an epic 20 minute version of "Shiverman". I think anyone with a half decent sounds system will highly enjoy their sounds so if you are reading this then give yourself and your hifi a treat and check them out.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I created a thread hoping to get feedback from someone on here with experience of the 4.1's before I make my decision but so far it hasn't had any response. Your feedback has helped me to decided that I'm going to take a punt on the 4.2's and in the worst case scenario I'll sell them on and try the 4.1's.

I will let you know how I get along with them.

Many thanks for your reply. Glad you liked what you heard of Fat Freddy, their live performaces are incredible and better than the album versions. I highly reccomend their latest release, a live recording called "Lock In", its on spotify but you can also watch the full set on Youtube. If venturing on youtube check out the peformaces of "10 Feet Tall" "Blackbird" and an epic 20 minute version of "Shiverman". I think anyone with a half decent sounds system will highly enjoy their sounds so if you are reading this then give yourself and your hifi a treat and check them out.

Quick update, after deciding to go with the 4.2’s I haven’t been able to place an order. Everywhere I have tried is out of stock and I’m on the waiting list. Chomping at the bit

AJM1981

I have also just got a pair of Evo 4.2's, how are you finding them and may I ask what amplification you are using?

Personally, after quite a bit of repositioning and the breaking in period (which seems to have had made quite a difference), I think they are a lot of speaker for the money.

Definitely a great dynamic speaker in my opinion. And also in terms of sound it feels 'finished' as in that in previous decades there were always minor improvements but in the past decade(s) resolution really became a reachable thing and this one is monitor quality 'sharp' . That, plus a 3 way system just fits my preference.

Some speakers are detailed in certain ranges but this one provides detail in the full range and is not bright in character but really high res in the treble nevertheless due to the Amt tweeter.

My choice for sound went first but the reason I chose them was also that given an award and mix of praising reviews. They, like the Kef ls50, will maintain a certain basic market value even after a long period of use as I am almost certain it will be a classic.

I also like the fact that they have this little curve in an arch towards the back. My previous 3 ways were plain boxes. The shape of the Evo's makes it that one can put them in corners of the room where the front suggests a slimmer looking speaker than they really are.

I use my Harman Kardon Hk3270 receiver. It delivers more than enough power to drive them loud but I never use it that way since the setup is for an average living room and listening distance is relatively nearby.

The choice for any amp is also a bit of a question mark for me at the moment. Given that we made a transition to the age of digital content and the amount of necessary rc connectors is decreasing I think I might replace it one day for a decent and super compact amp. Times that we needed a black "stack" of gear for living rooms are over and this receiver is still from that era. :)

P. s. it might be an odd thing for such a speaker, but a sub (that does minimal work with these and only barely kicks in) on the cut off frequency that the manual of the evo mentions is in my humble opinion really nice to complete the full spectrum. Given an example of a modern Jazz recording played with mallets on a drumkit it just gives a little more punch and ground tone. Same with the grounding of the deepest notes of a church organ.

Reactions: CheshirePete

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
I am also suitably impressed with the Evo 4.2's, I have been looking for a reasonable sized bookshelf speaker for a while now and when I saw these my interest was peaked.

As they say there is no replacement for displacement and these certainly deliver in the bass department in my small/medium sized lounge.

I am using a NAD C388 to drive them and there is certainly plenty of punch and the soundstage is much wider than my probably soon the sold Spendor A5's.

For me, and I have owned both, these are much better value than the kef ls50's, but each to their own. I built smaller wooden stands as these are quite a tall speaker and they are sounding sublime now the tweeters are at the same level as my ears.

Highly recommended at £599.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I have had the 4.2's since Feb (paired with CXA 81) and have listened to them extensively. They look beautiful, are very well made and reproduce voices and instruments fantastically well. If you can give them the space they deserve and feed them the right music they can produce a truly magical listening experience. If your listening preferences are maily suited to down-mid tempo music ie Blues, Jazz, Acoustic etc, these could be the best option at this price point and beyond. Highly recommended.

However, if your favourite genres are more energetic such as Rock, Dance, D&B & Hip Hop etc my advice to anyone considering these speakers is that you should search for a pair that caters better for those genres. The 4.2's still sound great with those styles of music however I have come to realise that there is an ingredient missing that is vital to the enjoyment of uptempo music. After one month of listening of the 4.2's I started to notice something wasn't quite as I remember my old favourite songs to be. I hooked up my 15-20 year old Heybrook HB1's to do a comparison. They HB1's don't sound as detailed, smooth or full bodied, the soundstage isn't as wide and the overall presentation is not camparable at all BUT within seconds of pressing play I got a feeling that is almost absent in the 4.2's... The HB1's offer more in the way of responsiveness, punch and dynamics with a touch more brightness to them that seemed to lift a veil off the music. Those factors combined gave me that feeling that made me want to move and groove to the music. I hooked up the 4.2's and played the same songs and my heart broke a little as I realised these beautiful speakers I have fallen in love with don't have something which for me, is vital to my enjoyment of music. Kick drums play an imporant role in Rock, Dance, Hip Hop, D&B and sadly the 4.2's are very weak in that department. The sound is there but its more of a tap rather than a punch. In some songs the HB1's revealed a rhythmic grove that was actually non existant in the Evo's.

If the Evo's had a little more punch to them I would be in speaker heaven. I have wondered if a good subwoofer could fill in the missing gaps but it seem like overkill as they already produce wonderful lower bass and so I think my money would be best spent on a more suitable set of speakers.

When I get time I will do a bit more A/B testing so I can better describe my feelings on them and I'll post a review on here.

I think the pefect speakers for me would be somewhere inbetween the B&W 606 and the Evo 4.2's. Not quite as fatiguing as the 606 yet not as laid back as the Evo's. If anyone has any knowledge of such a speaker I would be thankful for the advice. Finding a pair of speakers that can compliment the CXA 81 is proving a little tricky.

I think the pefect speakers for me would be somewhere inbetween the B&W 606 and the Evo 4.2's. Not quite as fatiguing as the 606 yet not as laid back as the Evo's. If anyone has any knowledge of such a speaker I would be thankful for the advice. Finding a pair of speakers that can compliment the CXA 81 is proving a little tricky.
With your evidently fine-tuned hearing, I suspect you’d need to raise your sights to speakers ranging up £2000 or so to achieve what you seek. Others than the latest LS50 Meta, which is not universally loved, I’m not sure where to look, other than favourites from Harbeth, Spendor, ATC, ProAc etc.
It would interesting to try a different amp too.

Reactions: GoodVibes

AJM1981

I have had the 4.2's since Feb (paired with CXA 81) and have listened to them extensively. They look beautiful, are very well made and reproduce voices and instruments fantastically well. If you can give them the space they deserve and feed them the right music they can produce a truly magical listening experience. If your listening preferences are maily suited to down-mid tempo music ie Blues, Jazz, Acoustic etc, these could be the best option at this price point and beyond. Highly recommended.

However, if your favourite genres are more energetic such as Rock, Dance, D&B & Hip Hop etc my advice to anyone considering these speakers is that you should search for a pair that caters better for those genres. The 4.2's still sound great with those styles of music however I have come to realise that there is an ingredient missing that is vital to the enjoyment of uptempo music. After one month of listening of the 4.2's I started to notice something wasn't quite as I remember my old favourite songs to be. I hooked up my 15-20 year old Heybrook HB1's to do a comparison. They HB1's don't sound as detailed, smooth or full bodied, the soundstage isn't as wide and the overall presentation is not camparable at all BUT within seconds of pressing play I got a feeling that is almost absent in the 4.2's... The HB1's offer more in the way of responsiveness, punch and dynamics with a touch more brightness to them that seemed to lift a veil off the music. Those factors combined gave me that feeling that made me want to move and groove to the music. I hooked up the 4.2's and played the same songs and my heart broke a little as I realised these beautiful speakers I have fallen in love with don't have something which for me, is vital to my enjoyment of music. Kick drums play an imporant role in Rock, Dance, Hip Hop, D&B and sadly the 4.2's are very weak in that department. The sound is there but its more of a tap rather than a punch. In some songs the HB1's revealed a rhythmic grove that was actually non existant in the Evo's.

If the Evo's had a little more punch to them I would be in speaker heaven. I have wondered if a good subwoofer could fill in the missing gaps but it seem like overkill as they already produce wonderful lower bass and so I think my money would be best spent on a more suitable set of speakers.

When I get time I will do a bit more A/B testing so I can better describe my feelings on them and I'll post a review on here.

I think the bass is as it should be for a balanced speaker.

Got the smallest B&W sub connected and maybe that is what you are missing. Used to produce music and I like analytical speakers for that reason a lot and that is what the Wharfedales are as well. Also dance music does well but it has no booming bass as for example modern BT boomboxes like the JBLs or HKs have.

I have my sub in a more supporting way at lower volume right at the correct cut off frequency of the Evo's so they continue where the woofers of the evo's stop.

Though I think a sub can simulate that effect you would prefer really well when you adjust the cut off to a higher point and turn up the subs volume.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I think the bass is as it should be for a balanced speaker.

Got the smallest B&W sub connected and maybe that is what you are missing. Used to produce music and I like analytical speakers for that reason a lot and that is what the Wharfedales are as well. Also dance music does well but it has no booming bass as for example modern BT boomboxes like the JBLs or HKs have.

I have my sub in a more supporting way at lower volume right at the correct cut off frequency of the Evo's so they continue where the woofers of the evo's stop.

Though I think a sub can simulate that effect you would prefer really well when you adjust the cut off to a higher point and turn up the subs volume.

The Evo's have a wonderful lower bass response so its definitely not a lack of booming bass. My HB1's don't offer much in the way of bass but the bass that they do have is pronounced with a little more dynamic & responsive punch. I have since read other users experiences and the general consensus is that this issue is related to upper bass/lower mid fequency. By doing A/B comparisons I was able to notice on some songs there was an element of the music that was so faint it was almost undetectable. Conversely, the 4.2's sounded absolutely brillaint on other genres whereas the HB1's sounded decent but nothing special.

I really love the sound that the 4.2's produce, they sound great with every genre I play on them but that lack of energy leaves them feeling a little boring in comparison to the HB1's.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
With your evidently fine-tuned hearing, I suspect you’d need to raise your sights to speakers ranging up £2000 or so to achieve what you seek. Others than the latest LS50 Meta, which is not universally loved, I’m not sure where to look, other than favourites from Harbeth, Spendor, ATC, ProAc etc.
It would interesting to try a different amp too.

Why thank you Mr Nopiano, perhaps you are right, I simply have expensive tastes lmao! I would love to be able to afford a system comprising of those brands but realistcally my budget for speakers is around £1000. I was expecting and I'm hoping I can find something to suit my palete within that price range. I have considered the LS50's but the overly analytical description I have read about doesn't appeal to me. Might pick up a pair to experience them for myself as there seems to be an army of people who can't praise them enough.

I have wondered if another amp may unlock the elements of sound that I am missing and I'm open to selling the CXA to find out. I have been doing lots of reasearch on speakers that pair well with the CXA and any speakers that appear to have what I am looking for don't seem to pair well with it due to the CXA being already a touch on the bright side. Toying with the idea of selling up and buying a 2nd hand Rotel, Naim or Hegel. So many options and so many considerations in this hobby.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I am also suitably impressed with the Evo 4.2's, I have been looking for a reasonable sized bookshelf speaker for a while now and when I saw these my interest was peaked.

As they say there is no replacement for displacement and these certainly deliver in the bass department in my small/medium sized lounge.

I am using a NAD C388 to drive them and there is certainly plenty of punch and the soundstage is much wider than my probably soon the sold Spendor A5's.

For me, and I have owned both, these are much better value than the kef ls50's, but each to their own. I built smaller wooden stands as these are quite a tall speaker and they are sounding sublime now the tweeters are at the same level as my ears.

Highly recommended at £599.

I notice you say you are getting plenty of punch out of the Evo's. I have a Cambridge Audio CXA 81 and I am not getting anything close to a punch. Kick drums come through with more of a tap. I have wondred if a more powerful amp may unlock that punch energy I crave. Can I ask what kind of music you listen to on them?

Toying with the idea of selling up and buying a 2nd hand Rotel, Naim or Hegel. So many options and so many considerations in this hobby.
I must admit I was wondering about Naim for you. It’s not a brand I often suggest, as it’s a bit too characterful for some, but it may be just the ticket here. Perhaps one of the two Nait 5i models currently on eBay for £699. Both are from reputable dealers with returns possible - 30 days from Peter Tyson.

Nothing to lose, especially if you have a nice credit card handy!

Re LS50, the original is not analytical to my ears, but I’m used the the very transparent ATC sound. Again, used they are around £500 or less and easy to sell on, as I did mine a couple of years ago. The newer Meta needs a lot of running in allegedly.

GoodVibes

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I must admit I was wondering about Naim for you. It’s not a brand I often suggest, as it’s a bit too characterful for some, but it may be just the ticket here. Perhaps one of the two Nait 5i models currently on eBay for £699. Both are from reputable dealers with returns possible - 30 days from Peter Tyson.

Re LS50, the original is not analytical to my ears, but I’m used the the very transparent ATC sound. Again, used they are around £500 or less and easy to sell on, as I did mine a couple of years ago. The newer Meta needs a lot of running in allegedly.

Nothing to lose, especially if you have a nice credit card handy!

Thank you for the recommendation, I will be looking into those models. I like the CXA but I'm very interested to hear what another amp can bring out of the Evo's. I might see if there is a way to reach out to local enthusiassts and see if someone can bring their amp round for a listening session.

I'm aware the LS50 doesn't provide much in the way of lower bass but can you tell me if it has that punchy energy I am searching for? How does it sound with rolling kick drums for example? What amp do you have it paired with? Steve Guttenberg and a few other forum memembers seem to rate the CXA 81 & LS50 combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts