Powered subwoofer, agnostic to the power amp it is connected to?

alessio_m

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Is a powered subwoofer completely agnostic to the power amp it is connected to?

I mean, would a powered subwoofer sound completely the same when connected to an entry level consumer integrated amp and when connected to an expensive high-end power amplifier?

shadders

alessio_m said:

I mean, would a powered subwoofer sound completely the same when connected to an entry level consumer integrated amp and when connected to an expensive high-end power amplifier?
Hi,

Possibly not. I assume that the subwoofer is connected using the power amplifier output, with both channels from the power amplifier (or integrated) connected to the relevant connections on the subwoofer.

If the integrated has less capability than the stand alone power amplifier, and you are driving the integrated very hard, then the distortion in the lower frequencies will be present in the subwoofer output. If the power amplifier has at the same volume less distortion, then this will be reflected in the subwoofer output.

Regards,

Shadders.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
alessio_m said:

Hi,

Possibly not. I assume that the subwoofer is connected using the power amplifier output, with both channels from the power amplifier (or integrated) connected to the relevant connections on the subwoofer.

If the integrated has less capability than the stand alone power amplifier, and you are driving the integrated very hard, then the distortion in the lower frequencies will be present in the subwoofer output. If the power amplifier has at the same volume less distortion, then this will be reflected in the subwoofer output.

Regards,

Shadders.
The OP is talking about a powered sub, so presumably driven from the pre-amp or subwoofer outputs. So the power amp is out of the equation completely, small differences in pre-amp (section) would be the only difference, tiny in all probability.

shadders

davedotco said:
shadders said:
alessio_m said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.
The OP is talking about a powered sub, so presumably driven from the pre-amp or subwoofer outputs. So the power amp is out of the equation completely, small differences in pre-amp (section) would be the only difference, tiny in all probability.
Hi,

My subwoofer which is powered accepts the output from a power amplifier. This allows you to add the subwoofer to an existing stereo hifi if you have small speakers so as to add bass extension.

Regards,

Shadders.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Something of a brainfade on my part.

Thank you for being so polite about my idiocy...*kiss3*

My only possible excuse was in tasting a little of the Christmas port...*blum3*

alessio_m

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Yeah i was referring to a powered subwoofer directly connected to a power amp by speaker cables

power amp > powered subwoofer > main speakers

Electro said:
The sub should take on part of the character of the feeding power amp .

shadders, what you say about distortion makes perfectly sense but this is exactly what i'd like to know: if the powered sub takes some of the 'character' of the feeding power amp

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
shadders said:
alessio_m said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I could be wrong but I think he was talking about a powered sub driven by the power amp speaker outputs a la REL Subwoofer ( and others ) .

shadders

davedotco said:
Something of a brainfade on my part.

Thank you for being so polite about my idiocy...*kiss3*

My only possible excuse was in tasting a little of the Christmas port...*blum3*
Hi,

It's, Ok. I may have long hair, like a headbanger, but there ain't no way its in pigtails.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

alessio_m said:
Yeah i was referring to a powered subwoofer directly connected to a power amp by speaker cables

power amp > powered subwoofer > main speakers

Electro said:

shadders, what you say about distortion makes perfectly sense but this is exactly what i'd like to know: if the powered sub takes some of the 'character' of the feeding power amp
Hi,

Yes, some characteristics will be replicated. It will be minimal, given the bandwidth that the subwoofer presents - which will be limited - should be less than 100Hz.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts