power outputs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello, i,m new to all this.i've got a set of 180 watt rms speakers and was just wondering what am i would need for best performance? was looking at amp but the output waas only 12 watt rms per channel, what effect would this have on the sound ect....??? any help would be much apriciated.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Generally speaking any amp will work with any speakers, but in your case it all depends on how loud you want it to go. 12 watts isn't a great deal, but at normal volumes in a normal-sized living room then it will probably be fine unless your speakers have particularly low sensitivity - see if you can check their specs; below about 87db/w/m (decibels per watt @ 1 meter away is how it's measured) is low. If they are over 90 db/w/m then to be honest 12 watts will probably get pretty reasonable levels out of them.

The only danger you have is that if your amp isn't sufficient to drive them properly at the volume you want and you push it too hard then it can 'clip' which will send distortion through your speakers and potentially damage them.

A

Anonymous

What are all the other figures on the speakers ? There should be a Sensitivity (dB) figure and Impedance (ohms) figure. These figures are vital to knowing what amp you would need to get the best performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts