Power cable

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

dakchi said:
shadders said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:
I can hardly wait for the OP to step in and scold us how our immaturity malformed his open minded cable thread into a cable thread.

Indeed *biggrin*. I left this topic for one day and was surprized to see 10 pages full of many side discussions, but no answer to my initial question. I want only people who tested different power cables to tell us whether the power cable has an impact on sound

Thank you
Hi,

This will be a yes - the reason is that only those people who "believe" that power cables make a difference will test them.

So, for yourself, your question excludes those who don't believe, automatically.

Regards,

Shadders.

It is not about believing. I did not believe speakers cables have an impact on sound untill I tested different cables. I only believe what I see and hear. That is why I ask the question to those who have tested different power cables. The theory and practice are 2 different worlds
Hi,

This is why i stated earlier that maybe read up on the placebo effect, or expectation bias. Or conduct a blind test.

As an analogy - no one who works on video states that they use a special kind of power cable for their monitor, or HDMI/DVI cable for their work with better results than the one that arrives with the graphics card. Why do you think that is ?

Hifi is a hobby to many people, video work is a professional vocation. Hobbyists are an easy target, professionals believe in science, and will not tolerate a culture of intangibility. I do not know of any other technical profession that has such a culture as hifi does.

Every progression or invention is based on hard science, testing, simulation, prototyping, published papers etc., - there are none for hifi power cables or speaker cables that prove that their offering is better than a standard cable. If there was - it will be published, reviewed, and there would be a scientific investigation with a plethora of improved cables based on science fact.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have tested loads from freeby to £50 to several thousand. I have a lot of the near latter variety in my system now.

Same with everything try for yourself. If its good enough for the hifi elite its good enough for me wanting to bat at that level.

That is always my thought process for the dont use it in the studio arguement.
In the studio what are they going for quality of experience or pure translation. Sitting about 2 feet from small speakers could be argued great for translation not so great for overall listening experience.

Even some studios say we use genelec to work on but when we want to actually listen we go and and listen in a completely different way on different speakers.
Seen 2 studios say they do this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
shadders said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:
I can hardly wait for the OP to step in and scold us how our immaturity malformed his open minded cable thread into a cable thread.

Indeed *biggrin*. I left this topic for one day and was surprized to see 10 pages full of many side discussions, but no answer to my initial question. I want only people who tested different power cables to tell us whether the power cable has an impact on sound

Thank you
Hi,

This will be a yes - the reason is that only those people who "believe" that power cables make a difference will test them.

So, for yourself, your question excludes those who don't believe, automatically.

Regards,

Shadders.

It is not about believing. I did not believe speakers cables have an impact on sound untill I tested different cables. I only believe what I see and hear. That is why I ask the question to those who have tested different power cables. The theory and practice are 2 different worlds

Exactly what I have been saying all this thread.

In theory the face of Jesus should not appear on a burned tost, yet in practice it does!

hall.jpg

Hallelujah!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
professionals make money while placebophiles spend money

Waste money

Abbey Road studios use expensive aftermarket cables in all of their studios. £800/m to be precise.

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/speaker.html

Throws a fairly bright light on the BS merchants who lurk about this forum spielling a load of shizzle about how the industry use bell wire and not fancy hifi cables. Battleship sunk I believe.
Hi,

The claims are standard for all well designed cables.

All well designed cables will have linear phase across their audio spectrum.

The dielectric used is similar to PTFE in terms of dielectric loss, and permitivity.

All well designed cables will have low propagation delay - they state :

"Additionally to being a very 'fast' cable (low propagation delay) it also extends undetectably down though the mid range to effortlessly provide a full bass response without any 'pinching' of power or low end delay."

All well designed cables will have better response at the mid or low audio frequencies - their very construction guarantees this.

Notice that they do NOT state what the losses are above the mid range - since they are negligible anyway. Marketing speak, that is all it is.

Regards,

Shadders.

Well these studio professionals think that Studio Connections "boutique" cables, both analogue and digital, are worth staking their professional credibility against.

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/professional-recommendation.html

If anybody is golden eared then it is going to be these guys, and they seem to think that cables can make an improvement to the sound quality over whatever they were using before.

At the end of the day these guys buy their equipment based upon the results they get with it.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
dakchi said:
That is why I ask the question to those who have tested different power cables. The theory and practice are 2 different worlds

I did try and warn you in my post on the first page....and the ONLY way you will know what is right "for you", is to try one.

You can then join one tribe or the other ie. You will either join the Dark Side and become a "Gullible Audiophile"; or you will be able to look down your nose at "Gullible Audiophiles", knowing that you were not taken in by Snake Oil salesmen! Either way, it's a win.

There is no mechanism, no possibilty of a mains cable affecting sound quality, yet you persist despite all attempts to educate you/ Are you religious or something?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dakchi said:
That is why I ask the question to those who have tested different power cables. The theory and practice are 2 different worlds

I did try and warn you in my post on the first page....and the ONLY way you will know what is right "for you", is to try one.

You can then join one tribe or the other ie. You will either join the Dark Side and become a "Gullible Audiophile" (you're already half way there if you think S/Cs make a different); or you will be able to look down your nose at "Gullible Audiophiles", knowing that you were not taken in by Snake Oil salesmen! Either way, it's a win.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Abbey Road studios use expensive aftermarket cables in all of their studios. £800/m to be precise.

Throws a fairly bright light on the BS merchants who lurk about this forum spielling a load of shizzle about how the industry use bell wire and not fancy hifi cables. Battleship sunk I believe.
Hi,

The dielectric used is similar to PTFE in terms of dielectric loss, and permitivity.

"Additionally to being a very 'fast' cable (low propagation delay) it also extends undetectably down though the mid range to effortlessly provide a full bass response without any 'pinching' of power or low end delay."

All well designed cables will have better response at the mid or low audio frequencies - their very construction guarantees this.

Notice that they do NOT state what the losses are above the mid range - since they are negligible anyway. Marketing speak, that is all it is.

Regards,

Shadders.

Well these studio professionals think that Studio Connections "boutique" cables, both analogue and digital, are worth staking their professional credibility against.

If anybody is golden eared then it is going to be these guys, and they seem to think that cables can make an improvement to the sound quality over whatever they were using before.

At the end of the day these guys buy their equipment based upon the results they get with it.

I'm sure these engineers bought these cables and said WOW I would like to give a public endorsment for free despite the industry ridicule I'll get since I love this product so much! Brave men. Respect.

"We produce a lot of different styles at Decoy Studio, and I am always skeptical what effect subtle differences will have with some types of productions, but with these cable improvements have been so immediately clear that its making blind testing a pointless formality."

I couldn't agree more.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I'm sure these engineers bought these cables and said WOW I would like to give a public endorsment for free despite the industry ridicule I'll get since I love this product so much! Brave men. Respect.

"We produce a lot of different styles at Decoy Studio, and I am always skeptical what effect subtle differences will have with some types of productions, but with these cable improvements have been so immediately clear that its making blind testing a pointless formality."

I couldn't agree more.

...because of course it's in their interest to provide a false, glowing reference. I don't give a gnat's crap whether or not they paid for the cables. They put their professional reputations on the line by endorsing them. Can you not see the significance of that?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I couldn't agree more.

...because of course it's in their interest to provide a false, glowing reference. I don't give a gnat's crap whether or not they paid for the cables. They put their professional reputations on the line by endorsing them. Can you not see the significance of that?

I agree with you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
There is no mechanism, no possibilty of a mains cable affecting sound quality, yet you persist despite all attempts to educate you/ Are you religious or something?

At no point in this thread have I commented on whether a mains cable makes a difference. I credit the OP with having the ability to determin that for himself....how could he fail to see the truth, with enlightened individuals such as yourself, advising him.

As for me......I'm beyond redemption.

Oldphrt said:
CnoEvil said:
dakchi said:

You can then join one tribe or the other ie. You will either join the Dark Side and become a "Gullible Audiophile"; or you will be able to look down your nose at "Gullible Audiophiles", knowing that you were not taken in by Snake Oil salesmen! Either way, it's a win.

I'm sure there could be in circumstances of strong radio transmissions nearby (e.g. In a flat above a taxi shop), or near a transmitter, such as Wrotham. Some years ago I believe it was quite common for appliances like vacuum cleaners to pick up radio signals, and for it to be audible via the motor! A cable that was better at rejecting such influences might surely show some benefit?

A mains cable is in effect an aerial, and I'd hope that most amplifiers would be resistant to incoming garbage. However, phono inputs for magnetic and moving coil cartridges are very sensitive.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
shadders said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Cable threads (of virtually any type) will automatically descend into a simple 'oblective vs subjecive' argument, this is as natural and inevitable as entropy.

Most enthusiast 'hear' a difference when comparing (any competent) cables, however they only hear a difference when they know what they are listening to. When tested blind, the differences invariably disappear, this is not really in dispute, there is plenty of experimental evidence to this effect.

What is interesting is the reactions of the two camps.

The objectivists say that this means that the difference heard in sighted is, in effect, 'imagined', there are plenty of theories as to why this is the case. In sighted tests, you hear what you 'expect' to hear, a mental process that occurs at a very deep level such that your concious thoughts are irrelevant.

Subjectivists point out that 'blind' testing is not a 'natural' listening experience and that differences clearly heard in 'normal' listening are lost under test conditions, perhaps because of poor or unfamilier systems, 'stess' of being tested or listener fatigue.

These views are polar opposite and strongly held. You will rarely see a conversion from one view to another, thats just the way it is.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Studios and professional dont buy snake oil false claim cables even if they cost £800 a meter. Much of the cabling at that cost has to cover many meters and keep integrity. And most of that money is actual cost of copper etc and totally necessary for purpose. Its got nothing to do with snake oil placebophile power cables we talking about.

shadders

Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I am flumoxed with regards to the endorsements, where many professionals call hifi hobbyists idiots for believing the statements made by these professionals. Oh well.

There is no mechanism for the results provided as per the statements of the endorsements. Given these endorsements, it still does not prove that the cable has been designed to illicit the endorsements, as the cable is similar to many other well designed cables.

So what we do have is some professionals stating they do make improvements, and others stating that they do not.

EDIT : If you examine the link below - you will see that the designer is a recording studio professional. So this is a studio professional selling his cables to other studio professionals. One must assume there is no conflict of interest.

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/meet-the-designer.html

Regards,

Shadders.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Studios and professional dont buy snake oil false claim cables even if they cost £800 a meter. Much of the cabling at that cost has to cover many meters and keep integrity. And most of that money is actual cost of copper etc and totally necessary for purpose. Its got nothing to do with snake oil placebophile power cables we talking about.

If you are saying that professional studios don't use Hi-Fi brand cables (not specifically talking Mains Cables), this is not true.

I can (if you like), name 7 studios that use "expensive" cables, like MIT, Cardas and Kimber.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are others that use lessloss and isotek mains conditioning etc

What makes the studio the ultimate listening arena anyway?? Can it sound better than it did in the studio? I dont mean the live event I mean the playback of it.

How many of you are setup at home like in a studio so where is the relevance in this being the holy grail?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

If you are saying that professional studios don't use Hi-Fi brand cables (not specifically talking Mains Cables), this is not true.

I can (if you like), name 7 studios that use "expensive" cables, like MIT, Cardas and Kimber.

Unfortunately Cno the "studios and professionals don't use expensive cables so they are obviously snake oil" argument is one that rears its ugly head every time one of these threads kicks off.

It is, as you rightly point out, baseless and untrue.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Indeed *biggrin*. I left this topic for one day and was surprized to see 10 pages full of many side discussions, but no answer to my initial question. I want only people who tested different power cables to tell us whether the power cable has an impact on sound

Thank you
erm i did answer your question test them out for yourself. Clearer audio 30 day money back guarantee with EU plug so you tell us what you think.i would go for the Clearer audio copper line

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

can you name the 7 studios please and provide links clearly saying they use mentioned cables. cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts