Power cable

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Of these have been given the cables on the basis the cable company can boast that they supply such and such...a company for marketing purpose.

Show me a link where a professional opens his mouth and actually says 'power cables and such improve performance of his electronics.

Ir show me a speaker manufactuer say his speakers only perform well with expensive special cable

Do you really think professionals would waste money on placebo

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/professional-recommendation.html

Why would these guys put their professional integrity on the line for free cables? Of course they wouldn't.
Hi,

As per my other post :

If you examine the link below - you will see that the designer is a recording studio professional. So this is a studio professional selling his cables to other studio professionals. One must assume there is no conflict of interest.

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/meet-the-designer.html

Regards,

Shadders.

WTF? Really? Your implication is clear but your rationale doesn't even make sense.

S

SemiChronic

Ive got a tucana? or some other no-name £30 mains conditioner and it the dogs.

Infact id be more than happy to wrap it around anyones neck and end this debate right now. :)

shadders

Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Of these have been given the cables on the basis the cable company can boast that they supply such and such...a company for marketing purpose.

Show me a link where a professional opens his mouth and actually says 'power cables and such improve performance of his electronics.

Ir show me a speaker manufactuer say his speakers only perform well with expensive special cable

Why would these guys put their professional integrity on the line for free cables? Of course they wouldn't.
Hi,

As per my other post :

If you examine the link below - you will see that the designer is a recording studio professional. So this is a studio professional selling his cables to other studio professionals. One must assume there is no conflict of interest.

Regards,

Shadders.

WTF? Really? Your implication is clear but your rationale doesn't even make sense.
Hi,

Have you seen the cost of the cable - someone stated £800/metre. On another website the following :

http://www.renaissanceaudio.co.uk/studio/black-star-speaker-cable/

From £3800 for 2.00 MTR. Add £2400 for each extra meter.

Why wouldn't your colleagues in the recording industry support the cable you sell, at such vast costs.

Regards,

Shadders.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Well im at work for one and all thise posts are misleading and that quote is pure marketing bs and you know it. Come on man

I'm only trying to make a point about facts and their acceptance, when it goes against belief.

I was asked to name 7 studios that used Snake Oil cables and provide links (only because it was assumed I couldn't)....and I did.

You then asked me for quotes.....and I provided a couple of those as well.

I am not making any claims as to whether cables make a difference, or whether the comments made about the cables are Marketing BS, or genuinely held....as that will depend on your view on cables.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is a must watch in full. Home Theater Geeks 274: The Truth Behind High-Res Audio

It should give you fresh perspective how the business is run.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi,

As per my other post :

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Have you seen the cost of the cable - someone stated £800/metre. On another website the following :

http://www.renaissanceaudio.co.uk/studio/black-star-speaker-cable/

From £3800 for 2.00 MTR. Add £2400 for each extra meter.

Why wouldn't your colleagues in the recording industry support the cable you sell, at such vast costs.

Regards,

Shadders.

That doesn't invalidate the recording industry's support of the £800/m cable that Studio Connections sell, but I do see your point.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
What, you mean like million dollar Neve mixing consoles?

How many albums mixed on Neves have sounded as good as Sweet Dreams?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6175031-post5.html

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
lpv said:
this is not first time people link something they have no idea about..

this thread is about power cables..

off topic?

Just accept defeat graciously. *biggrin*

I'm building hi end passive system myself and I'll definitely try appropriate power and speaker cables to check if I can hear the difference in my new set up.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
People are comming on here with cambridge audio cx80 and monitor audio bronze speakers and being advised to spend £1000 on a power conditoner... Now before anyine actually looks for cx 80 and bronze that is just an example But its what happens.

Then when they have spent all that wasted money and come back for more advise they told to buy an av stand with a 5 star review for the next upgrade.
My advice when buying power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, mains conditioners, digital sources, solid state amps is to start off with free or £20 ones and use them as a baseline to compare against ANYTHING that you fancy.

With a big preference for sale or return. Or buying at a price that's a bit lower than what you can sell it on for.

If someone with underwhelming MA Bronze speakers decides to ignore my advice and spend £1000 on a conditioner that then has a value of £600 if they decided to sell it - then that's entirely up to them. Their money. Their life.

I think it's been made abundantly clear that a lot of people feel that power cables are not worth spending a single penny on. Therefore any sensible person that has read this thread and wants to try different power cables will proceed on a zero pounds to be lost if the trial doesn't work out basis.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:
What, you mean like million dollar Neve mixing consoles?

How many albums mixed on Neves have sounded as good as Sweet Dreams?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6175031-post5.html

I cant answer you last time i heard that version was ages ago

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Put your money where your mouth is.

Please recommend me a power chord that i can use on my benchmark dac to improve performance.

One that I can return and get my money back

Also please tell me prior to this what sort of sound upgrade i can expect.

Nothing too fancy though as my kit is only lower end

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Someone would need your dac to know that exactly / what they heard when they used the reco'd power cable.

What Benchmark dac is it?

Andrewjvt said:

Please recommend me a power chord that i can use on my benchmark dac to improve performance.

You could try this with a 60 day return policy. http://www.russandrews.com/powerkord100/

No idea what benefits you will enjoy; that's the whole point! Some technical tests here:-

http://www.russandrews.com/images/pdf/SuperKordTest.pdf

I believe Clearer Audio offer a similar trial.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I find it ridiculous to spend 800 or 1000$ on a power cable even if I hear a spectacular difference (which I doubt will be the case). There are websites selling power cables and offering 60 days money back, but I am wondering if I will have to pay shipping cost, which will represent 30% of the price of the cable. I am not ready to pay more than 70 pounds for a cable, just to test. I contacted Clearer Audio and I will wait there response before placing an order

Seeing the huge number of posts, I have the feeling that I raised an interesting question

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:

You could try this with a 60 day return policy.  http://www.russandrews.com/powerkord100/

No idea what benefits you will enjoy; that's the whole point!  Some technical tests here:-

http://www.russandrews.com/images/pdf/SuperKordTest.pdf

I believe Clearer Audio offer a similar trial.

Thanks nopiano

Thats a contender
just read the marketi g on the cable and wow my placebo juices are flowing:

Whether you are new to the joys of Hi-Fi or are a veteran enthusiast, the benefits of PowerKord-100 can be enjoyed by all. We recommend starting with the cable feeding your mains source - for example, your CD player, streamer, turntable, or even a Blu-ray player. From there, upgrade your preamp or integrated amp next and finally, your power amp.

This is a just guide and not a hard-and-fast-rule - remember, replacing any of your out-of-the-box mains cables with a PowerKord-100 is going to be beneficial for your system.

Lets wait and see what everyone else recommend though as if i chose that one to test, others will say i brought the wrong one.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Very quick through the tests

Love this confession:

What don’t the plots show us
The plots show how the cables perform under test in
laboratory conditions. Whilst we could infer that the
same level of rejection occurs in a domestic environment
(ie. when the cables are plugged into a Hi-Fi or Home
Cinema system) we are not claiming that they do.
Similarly, the graphs do not prove that the rejection
measured in the lab has a perceptible (ie audible) effect
when the cables are used in a Hi-Fi or Home Cinema

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Someone would need your dac to know that exactly / what they heard when they used the reco'd power cable.

What Benchmark dac is it?

Benchmark Dac3 hgc

Nice - you could try a tacima at £28. Worst ways you get a 6 way distribution block for your money.
But only plug the benchmark dac into it when try it.

Tacima is the CS947 at £33 or the older one is CS929 was a bit cheaper. Newer one is nicer, seems better built.

Cant suggest any power cables because no idea whats reasonable.

If your trying a clearer audio a silverline be the one I think with your dac, based purely on guesswork. They a bit pricier though and you want the Furutech FI28 iec on it for the small extra outlay as its the first good one furutech make. About £280 notes. Thats 10% your dac.

Where in world do you live?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
One thing to consider is that any typical house will have the cables going from the fuse box/pcb board, chased through the wall, into your sockets. These cables are copper, bought on rolls for very small cost (in comparison to a hifi cable). [font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]IF[/font] cables matter that much (and I am not saying either way) , these cables will have done their thing and had their influence on the electricity supply to the socket. Do these expensive cables then claim to change this in the 3 or so feet between the socket and the music device?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

That is it. I dont think a DAC like yours will show improvements. You really need to go higher.

You could try Audiofriendly screened silver. Cheap and adequate for yours.

It will match the colour.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
you really need to go hi end to hear the differences Andrew.. maybe Gryphon? I've heard them few times in the last couple of months and this is something else.. bryston looks and sounds cheap next to it.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
One thing to consider is that any typical house will have the cables going from the fuse box/pcb board, chased through the wall, into your sockets. These cables are copper, bought on rolls for very small cost (in comparison to a hifi cable). IF cables matter that much (and I am not saying either way) , these cables will have done their thing and had their influence on the electricity supply to the socket. Do these expensive cables then claim to change this in the 3 or so feet between the socket and the music device?

I think that some power cable manufacturers' response to this would be that their power cables are the first three feet or so in an AC supply, not the last. Not defending the science, just stating what I have read...

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
muljao said:
One thing to consider is that any typical house will have the cables going from the fuse box/pcb board, chased through the wall, into your sockets. These cables are copper, bought on rolls for very small cost (in comparison to a hifi cable). IF cables matter that much  (and I am not saying either way) , these cables will have done their thing and had their influence on the electricity supply to the socket. Do these expensive cables then claim to change this in the 3 or so feet between the socket and the music device?

I think that some power cable manufacturers' response to this would be that their power cables are the first three feet or so in an AC supply, not the last. Not defending the science, just stating what I have read...
The more i think about it the more skeptical I am, not that I've really thought about it that much :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts