Power cable

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lpv said:
ergo: wilson audio is high end, benchmark, hegel & bryston are ****... cause they all dismiss importance of cables

ellis: just an idea, maybe wilson audio want to sell more cables for transparent opus? maybe they have deal? or transparent are so reach now they don't care about sales anymore?

Thats very possible maybe they also own that business I dont know. But still just saying what they say they feel is important.

Ask Audio Note why they wire their products up with solid silver wire.

It would reduce their manufacturing and stock costs massively and if the products are still just as good they could still charge what they do for them?

so we can assume there are high end brands ( audio note, wilson audio) and avarage joe brands ( benchmark, bryston, atc, hegel).. high end brands pay attention to cables

shadders

ellisdj said:
Wilson audio say lots of small things add up. It can take only a very small thing and the magic is gone. They say there are no circuit boards in their speakers all wired point to point.

So it could be over 100 solder joints so the solder matters.

Something like that anyway
Hi,

The scale of the components that have solder joints dwarfs significantly the number of solder joints in a speaker.

For some reason, you "believe" that this few solder connections have such an impact on the final sound despite the many hundreds or even thousands of others in the preceding equipment do not.

If you were not told this by the speaker manufacturer, would you believe that the magic of the final product would still exist?

You are being led to believe that the solder matters, as in marketing terms, it is a differentiator.

Regards,

Shadders.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
isotek-syncro-mains-power-lead.jpg

This is the £1595 Isotek Evo3 power cable.

Would it be possible to DIY something to the same engineering standards for less than £50?

What's inside the grey cylinder? Is it a magnet or inductor? Something that'd cost £5? Or something else?

If we went the DIY route, we could hard wire one end to the power transformer inside the amplifier, and therefore cut out the horrible IEC plug and socket, resulting in a better power cable than the Evo3. On the IEC socket safety front, about half my audio equipment has hardwired power cables, including the Marantz CD player I bought last week. I do not think that they represent any significant safety risk over my IEC socketed equipment (but would be happy to stand corrected if anyone can convince me otherwise).

What's more, we could make our DIY cable exactly the right length. Maybe 1 metre or 0.75 metres would be fine for a particular installation, instead of having to put up with 1.5 metre standard lengths.

My point being, even if you believe power cables make a difference worth spending £1000 on, why not DIY something better for far less money?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
ellisdj said:
lpv said:
ergo: wilson audio is high end, benchmark, hegel & bryston are ****... cause they all dismiss importance of cables

ellis: just an idea, maybe wilson audio want to sell more cables for transparent opus? maybe they have deal? or transparent are so reach now they don't care about sales anymore? 

Thats very possible maybe they also own that business I dont know. But still just saying what they say they feel is important.

Ask Audio Note why they wire their products up with solid silver wire.

It would reduce their manufacturing and stock costs massively and if the products are still just as good they could still charge what they do for them?

so we can assume there are high end brands ( audio note, wilson audio) and avarage joe brands ( benchmark, bryston, atc, hegel).. high end brands pay attention to cables

I think you can take from this that these 2 examples - certainly not only companies I can think of YG Acoustics and Nola Nola Bruno Puczi electronics company you know the guy who invented ncore amplifiers use Kabala Sosna cable and furutech connectors in their products.

They chose to do this when they dont have to. They must think it makes the products sound better as really none of them need the sales promotion.

So if other people happen to find benefit from doing so as well then fair play.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Would it be possible to DIY something to the same engineering standards for less than £50?

What's inside the grey cylinder? Is it a magnet or inductor? Something that'd cost £5? Or something else?

If we went the DIY route, we could hard wire one end to the power transformer inside the amplifier, and therefore cut out the horrible IEC plug and socket, resulting in a better power cable than the Evo3. On the IEC socket safety front, about half my audio equipment has hardwired power cables, including the Marantz CD player I bought last week. I do not think that they represent any significant safety risk over my IEC socketed equipment (but would be happy to stand corrected if anyone can convince me otherwise).

What's more, we could make our DIY cable exactly the right length. Maybe 1 metre or 0.75 metres would be fine for a particular installation, instead of having to put up with 1.5 metre standard lengths.

My point being, even if you believe power cables make a difference worth spending £1000 on, why not DIY something better for far less money?

You are not paying for the raw materials, but the knowledge and technological innovation. These companies have high capital investments in state of the art solder listening anechoic chambers and even specialized osciloscopes custom designed by Tektronix to measure cable conductivity directly in retail prices since audio quality cannot be measured by other reliable means. Stereo after all is just an illusion in our brain.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Does this mean that anyone who makes a musical product with a cable that is hardwired in (basically not a non removable kettle lead) are robbing us of their products musical potential *diablo*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
That all these special cable manufacturers seem only to prey on audiophiles...

Howcome they dont get it right with professionals?

Its a joke man

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Or you could use your old cable and pray for it to sound better. The result would be the same and you will have saved yourself a lot of money.

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
That all these special cable manufacturers seem only to prey on audiophiles...

Howcome they dont get it right with professionals?

Its a joke man
Hi,

Yes - i have never seen claims that professional video engineers, or computer generated images professionals using special power cables to make their monitor perform better.

It is only the hifi industry that has this - i think it is because anyone can be into hifi, whereas other areas of interest, generally professional people are involved. (in saying this - we do have special hdmi cables.....).

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
professionals make money while placebophiles spend money

Waste money

Abbey Road studios use expensive aftermarket cables in all of their studios. £800/m to be precise.

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/speaker.html

Throws a fairly bright light on the BS merchants who lurk about this forum spielling a load of shizzle about how the industry use bell wire and not fancy hifi cables. Battleship sunk I believe.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Abbey Road studios use expensive aftermarket cables in all of their studios. £800/m to be precise.

Throws a fairly bright light on the BS merchants who lurk about this forum spielling a load of shizzle about how the industry use bell wire and not fancy hifi cables. Battleship sunk I believe.

They use speaker cables on the mains? Where was bell wire mentioned on here?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
I used to make transformers for hifi companies and this was important for sound quality. Different size wire could make all the difference

But not in a mains lead. Most, if not all, of the expensive aftermarket cables are of the mug's eyeful variety.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Mains cables, speaker cables, interconnects, the argument is always the same you Oldphart. Same **** different day.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

nothing sunk mate... the thread is about power cables. speaker cables are very important and cheap ones are disgrace.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Oldphrt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Mains cables, speaker cables, interconnects, the argument is always the same you Oldphart. Same **** different day.

The laws of physics do not change.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I can hardly wait for the OP to step in and scold us how our immaturity malformed his open minded cable thread into a cable thread.

Indeed *biggrin*. I left this topic for one day and was surprized to see 10 pages full of many side discussions, but no answer to my initial question. I want only people who tested different power cables to tell us whether the power cable has an impact on sound

Thank you

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:
I can hardly wait for the OP to step in and scold us how our immaturity malformed his open minded cable thread into a cable thread.

Indeed *biggrin*. I left this topic for one day and was surprized to see 10 pages full of many side discussions, but no answer to my initial question. I want only people who tested different power cables to tell us whether the power cable has an impact on sound

Thank you

I

It doesn't. Hope that answers your question. I have tested many power cables.

shadders

dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you
Hi,

This will be a yes - the reason is that only those people who "believe" that power cables make a difference will test them.

So, for yourself, your question excludes those who don't believe, automatically.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

Waste money

Hi,

The claims are standard for all well designed cables.

All well designed cables will have linear phase across their audio spectrum.

The dielectric used is similar to PTFE in terms of dielectric loss, and permitivity.

All well designed cables will have low propagation delay - they state :

"Additionally to being a very 'fast' cable (low propagation delay) it also extends undetectably down though the mid range to effortlessly provide a full bass response without any 'pinching' of power or low end delay."

All well designed cables will have better response at the mid or low audio frequencies - their very construction guarantees this.

Notice that they do NOT state what the losses are above the mid range - since they are negligible anyway. Marketing speak, that is all it is.

Regards,

Shadders.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you
Hi,

This will be a yes - the reason is that only those people who "believe" that power cables make a difference will test them.

So, for yourself, your question excludes those who don't believe, automatically.

Regards,

Shadders.

It is not about believing. I did not believe speakers cables have an impact on sound untill I tested different cables. I only believe what I see and hear. That is why I ask the question to those who have tested different power cables. The theory and practice are 2 different worlds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts