Power cable

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

ellisdj said:
Is James Randi going to pay to fly me to the states and put me up all expenses paid for a week while I condition my hearing to a new climate I doubt it.

He could come to me but I dont allow anyone called James into my house.

Better than that is recording the test.

If I need to buy 3m pair thats cost me another 5 squiddlies You are taking preverbial

Cheers Andrew dude but its got to be qed 79 strand. I would have it terminated to make swopping easier. Is that allowed?
Hi,

This is a glib response to the opportunity to win $1,000,000.

No one in science is surprised that every person who believes and states that they can hear differences between cables, never takes the challenge. There is always something, just not quite right, which means they cannot take the test. If someone fails such a test, then there are always reasons why they couldn’t, and the issues are with the test, not that they cannot tell the difference.

There are so many inconsistencies in the supposedly bona fide tests, videos, claims, logic, endorsements, subjective reviews, etc., which are immediately ignored by believers, and science/engineering proof never provided by any cable manufacturer and believer. Yet that same burden of proof is always demanded by believers for any aspect that opposes their belief. The proof is provided, and then believers dispute that proof, not based on science, but because they say so, through some twisted logic.

Again, a small investment for a return of $1,000,000 is a fantastic opportunity, and this will NEVER be taken up, as believers cannot tell the difference.

Regards,

Shadders.

@page { margin: 2cm }
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Is James Randi going to pay to fly me to the states and put me up all expenses paid for a week while I condition my hearing to a new climate I doubt it.

He could come to me but I dont allow anyone called James into my house.

Better than that is recording the test.

If I need to buy 3m pair thats cost me another 5 squiddlies You are taking preverbial

Cheers Andrew dude but its got to be qed 79 strand. I would have it terminated to make swopping easier. Is that allowed?
Hi, 

This is a glib response to the opportunity to win $1,000,000.

No one in science is surprised that every person who believes and states that they can hear differences between cables, never takes the challenge. There is always something, just not quite right, which means they cannot take the test. If someone fails such a test, then there are always reasons why they couldn’t, and the issues are with the test, not that they cannot tell the difference.

There are so many inconsistencies in the supposedly bona fide tests, videos, claims, logic, endorsements, subjective reviews, etc., which are immediately ignored by believers, and science/engineering proof never provided by any cable manufacturer and believer. Yet that same burden of proof is always demanded by believers for any aspect that opposes their belief. The proof is provided, and then believers dispute that proof, not based on science, but because they say so, through some twisted logic.

Again, a small investment for a return of $1,000,000 is a fantastic opportunity, and this will NEVER be taken up, as believers cannot tell the difference.

Regards,

Shadders.

@page { margin: 2cm }
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

Spot on

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
I believe the Randi test didn't allow you to choose the components used? I seem to remember debating this a few years ago. I'd do it if I can choose the cables and system.

Would it make a difference?

Are these magic cables selective about what they're connected to?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Shadders its the same both ways - if I record my system with both cables in - same volume and you can hear a difference in them there will be a reason for it.

Noone has come back to me on my challenge - prove to me your system can sound Really good with all cheap cables in.

That should be the easiest test of all for you to do for me. Who will do that and I will come to you?

shadders

ellisdj said:
Shadders its the same both ways - if I record my system with both cables in - same volume and you can hear a difference in them there will be a reason for it.

Noone has come back to me on my challenge - prove to me your system can sound Really good with all cheap cables in.

That should be the easiest test of all for you to do for me. Who will do that and I will come to you?
Hi,

The statement from believers is that cables sound different. Science requires DBT for proof. Hence you need to take the James Randi test.

You refer to your version of proof. It is not proof as it will not meet scientific requirements for rigour of testing to ensure complete impartiality or eliminate expectation bias.

These scientific requirements are there for very good reasons. You cannnot ignore them as they remove fraud, expectation bias etc.

Again, you can earn $1,000,000 by taking the James Randi test - any expenses you invest will easily be offset by the potential profit. You are not the only believer refusing to take the test.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

Gaz37 said:
davidf said:
I believe the Randi test didn't allow you to choose the components used? I seem to remember debating this a few years ago. I'd do it if I can choose the cables and system.

Would it make a difference?

Are these magic cables selective about what they're connected to?
HI,

Yes - if cables sound different, then all cables sound different.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
How can there be any bias in a recording? You can listen to the recordings blind if that makes you feel better.

How about you demo me your amazing sound with all cheap cables? Your engineering approach must achieve better results than my snake oil approach.

shadders

ellisdj said:
How can there be any bias in a recording? You can listen to the recordings blind if that makes you feel better.

How about you demo me your amazing sound with all cheap cables? Your engineering approach must achieve better results than my snake oil approach.
Hi,

Mistakes can be made, fraud, expectation bias that there are two recordings and so they must be different so the person imagines there is a difference. Etc., etc., etc.,

Believers state that they can hear differences, so the burden of proof is on the believers to prove their claim under controlled scientific conditions.

All you need to do is take the James Randi test, and win yourself $1,000,000. It really is that simple, not only will you be richer, but you will prove to all people that you can hear a difference.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
ellisdj said:

I suspect the prospect of spending time with you will be a huge turn off for many...

Cheers DaveH - very kind words from you, thank you very much. What can a man say to that.

I have my own strong opinions and beliefs of what good sound is and how you get it and will demo them anyone who wants to hear them. I am a very down to earth decent bloke but maybe too common for the likes of others, sorry if you dont like me, maybe we should not meet

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

Mistakes can be made, fraud, expectation bias that there are two recordings and so they must be different so the person imagines there is a difference. Etc., etc., etc.,

Believers state that they can hear differences, so the burden of proof is on the believers to prove their claim under controlled scientific conditions.

All you need to do is take the James Randi test, and win yourself $1,000,000. It really is that simple, not only will you be richer, but you will prove to all people that you can hear a difference.

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders all you need to do is show me - being shown good sound is the only language I speak - it will cost nearly nothing to do it either and it should be the easiest thing for you to do given your background - which is clearly very technical, I take my hat to you, you seem to have immense technical knowledge.

So I would be than interested to see how that transpires into the sound you achieve from a system in a room.

Thats not me being facitious - its me being heart felt.

shadders

ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders all you need to do is show me - being shown good sound is the only language I speak - it will cost nearly nothing to do it either and it should be the easiest thing for you to do given your background - which is clearly very technical, I take my hat to you, you seem to have immense technical knowledge.

So I would be than interested to see how that transpires into the sound you achieve from a system in a room.

Hi,

I have not made any claims as to my sound. I have stated that I have tried and could not hear any differences with cables.

Whatever my sound is, I am happy with it, and qed 79 strand cable works as required. I am not looking for audio nirvana, so my sound in my room is not modified with anything, it is just equipment in a rack, and speakers positioned in the room.

This is about whether people can hear a difference with cables. Cables are just a bit of wire. Mains or speakers.

So any claim which is contrary to science must be proven, by the claimant. Look at the cost of some cables, which are atrociously expensive. Are you (people who believe in general) being conned???

James Randi has offered $1,000,000 for any one who claims that they can hear the difference, to prove it. Absolutely, no one in the world, of 8 billion people, which includes hifi enthusiasts and cable manufacturers have EVER taken up the challenge. You (in general) can earn $1,000,000, yet no one wants to provide the proof and get paid for it. Yet, cable manufacturers still sell cables at extortionate prices, and hifi enthusiasts still purchase.

What anyone believes is up to them, but claims that there are differences between cables have to be proven by the claimant. But no one will take up the James Randi offer of $1,000,000 to provide that proof, not even the cable manufacturers.

Regards,

Shadders.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
James Randi has offered $1,000,000 for any one who claims that they can hear the difference, to prove it. Absolutely, no one in the world, of 8 billion people, which includes hifi enthusiasts and cable manufacturers have EVER taken up the challenge.
To be fair, 7,999,990,000 couldn't give a toss. And 7,999,999,999 couldn't give a toss about the test.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's not how you rebutal gents. You need to trash JR now. He is a scam artist, a magician, a spotlight attention whore. He stole his mother's iron to do his hair for rock opera concerts when he was 16. Don't believe a word he is saying. Probably doesn't have $1000 in that foundation, let alone a million.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
That's not how you rebutal gents. You need to trash JR now. He is a scam artist, a magician, a spotlight attention whore. He stole his mother's iron to do his hair for rock opera concerts when he was 16. Don't believe a word he is saying. Probably doesn't have $1000 in that foundation, let alone a million.
Unless he HASN'T gone through a divorce, so he's minted, and he's trying to give it away, but finds the usual 'donation' approach a little boring. Maybe he can strike up a friendship with the other guy who did go through a divorce - with a perfect marriage of money AND cables, they'll be laughing.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:

Unless he HASN'T gone through a divorce, so he's minted, and he's trying to give it away, but finds the usual 'donation' approach a little boring. Maybe he can strike up a friendship with the other guy who did go through a divorce - with a perfect marriage of money AND cables, they'll be laughing.

He is gay, so it might be an elaborate mating ritual. I don't understand celebs really.

shadders

davidf said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Why is one circumstantial statement such an issue. Why not focus on the subject and provide a view on the science and logic behind why cables do sound different, if you believe that they do.

Why not ask yourself why people are selling a cable for £2,400 per metre, as an example, when the expected cost of materials is less than £40. That is a 600x increase. Why not investigate the reasons ?

Why not examine all aspects as to what drives a speaker cable seller to sell at such high margins over the expected material cost, as an example, 600x.

If QED can sell a cable for £2.10 per metre which works (no science to say it worse or better than any other cable), what is it that makes a cable seller sell a cable with a 600x markup compared to expected material costs (sold at £2,400 per metre), with no proof that they are better or worse than any other.

Look at endorsements of the cable - is there any previous relationship with those people who endorse your product which costs 600x more than the expected material costs ?.

Do the cable manufacturers prove that their cables sound different ?.

Do the cable manufacturers rely upon subjective statements to endorse their product ?.

All that is stated are claims by believers that cables sound different, but complete oblivion from the reality of the technical aspects and business operations/costs.

Lastly, you too have the opportunity to take the James Randi test, and earn yourself $1,000,000. Why not take the test and prove your claims that cables sound different. Do you sell cables ?? Would it not be in your interest to prove the differences so you can sell more cables (if you do sell them ??). Take the test and prove us all wrong.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
From experience I can confirm its audible with low strand conductors (aka solid core). However, when you braid or twist it the effect stops. So will coiling braided/twisted cables like on the video raise inductance?
Hi,

I would state yes, since the magnetic field is a function of current direction and hence faradays right hand screw rule. Can you check please? Thanks.

Regards,

Shadders

I just remembered my extension cord reel that I use for the lawn mower had a safety sticker. *Don't use untill fully extended.* and the flex was standart 3 conductor twisted in a plastic jacket.

That's because a tightly coiled cable of poor quality will get hot when powering certain hi- draw equipment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davidf said:
Vladimir said:

He is gay, so it might be an elaborate mating ritual. I don't understand celebs really.
I wasn't actually referring to anything physical, just circumstance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:
davidf said:
Vladimir said:

I wasn't actually referring to anything physical, just circumstance.

Too many perverts and divorced cable salesmen in this hobby these days.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I have not made any claims as to my sound. I have stated that I have tried and could not hear any differences with cables.

Whatever my sound is, I am happy with it, and qed 79 strand cable works as required. I am not looking for audio nirvana, so my sound in my room is not modified with anything, it is just equipment in a rack, and speakers positioned in the room.

This is about whether people can hear a difference with cables. Cables are just a bit of wire. Mains or speakers.

So any claim which is contrary to science must be proven, by the claimant. Look at the cost of some cables, which are atrociously expensive. Are you (people who believe in general) being conned???

James Randi has offered $1,000,000 for any one who claims that they can hear the difference, to prove it. Absolutely, no one in the world, of 8 billion people, which includes hifi enthusiasts and cable manufacturers have EVER taken up the challenge. You (in general) can earn $1,000,000, yet no one wants to provide the proof and get paid for it. Yet, cable manufacturers still sell cables at extortionate prices, and hifi enthusiasts still purchase.

What anyone believes is up to them, but claims that there are differences between cables have to be proven by the claimant. But no one will take up the James Randi offer of $1,000,000 to provide that proof, not even the cable manufacturers.

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders dont cop out - or sell yourself short.

Your system sounds simple by compare of mine but it doesnt mean it wont perform stella and very much outperform mine so what are you worried about?

So with your knowledge base for you to be happy with the systems sound its must be truly excellent, because surely if it meaures well it sound it.

Saying your not after Audio Nirvana - thats just a cop out though - we can all speak numbers and theory but its making good sound is why we are here.

So last time of me asking for you to demo me QED 79 strand and cheap cables and no accessories sounding really great. I have not heard and would be very interested to.

shadders

ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders dont cop out - or sell yourself short.

Your system sounds simple by compare of mine but it doesnt mean it wont perform stella and very much outperform mine so what are you worried about?

So with your knowledge base for you to be happy with the systems sound its must be truly excellent, because surely if it meaures well it sound it.

Saying your not after Audio Nirvana - thats just a cop out though - we can all speak numbers and theory but its making good sound is why we are here.

So last time of me asking for you to demo me QED 79 strand and cheap cables and no accessories sounding really great. I have not heard and would be very interested to.
Hi,

I am not copping out - this is purely about differences in the sound of cables, or not. How a system sounds is subjective. All my statements are regarding the logic, science/engineering, demonstration, business aspects of cables, and whether they sound different or not.

If someone claims cables sound different, then those people making the claim need to prove it. Again, this is not about how ones system sounds, it is just about claims that cables sound different.

Hence, the reason that they can take the James Randi test, and earn $1,000,000. If not, then they can at least take a test which offers no prize.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am claiming a system cant sound good with all cheap cabling.
Prove me wrong. Its hifi - hifi is sound reproduction in a room. Its all that matters and is the bit even a Lemon understands.

shadders

ellisdj said:
I am claiming a system cant sound good with all cheap cabling. Prove me wrong. Its hifi - hifi is sound reproduction in a room. Its all that matters and is the bit even a Lemon understands.
Hi,

The basis of that is, that cables sound different. Then whether the cable is cheap or expensive, you can prove that the cables sound different.

This is what the thread is about, whether the cables sound different.

This is not a cop out, or me changing the subject, nothing can be inferred if i do not discuss system sounds.

Again, James Randi test if passed, can provide someone with $1,000,000. Someone can easily take the test or similar. Why shouldn't those people who claim that cables sound different prove their claim ?

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS