Power cable

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Using them at the speaker end will remove the effects of the speaker cable antenna you told me about probably 10 pages ago.
Hi,

No, that was not me.

Regards,

Shadders.

Who was it that said in the middle of doing battle with me that a speaker cable is an antennae right before the noise makers and do we then need to screen them as well - are you sure that was not you Shadders? I thought it it was.

shadders

ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Using them at the speaker end will remove the effects of the speaker cable antenna you told me about probably 10 pages ago.
Hi,

No, that was not me.

Regards,

Shadders.

Who was it that said in the middle of doing battle with me that a speaker cable is an antennae right before the noise makers and do we then need to screen them as well - are you sure that was not you Shadders? I thought it it was.
Hi,

Not me. Have a quick scan back to see.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gaz37 said:
There are plenty of logical reasons for power cables being unable to have an effect on sound quality.

There are two main reasons why people think they do work. If you can't hear an improvement- Your equipment is too crap Your hearing is too crap

Or you have tried the wrong one is another one.  

Noones hearing is too crap, noone thinks that I dont think.  My pal has terrible hearing but he has picked out things in my system that are bang on when he has been over to demo as I have been improving things over the last few years.  Like having fat on my bass for example and he was right.  He reads this and will laugh at that one because he thought he really offended me when he said it.

To Lindsey - I have not been in the game that long to see products like that mate so I have no idea.  If they sounded great as is thats fine

If you can't hear the difference you could waste some more money on a course on how to listen properly lol

shadders

ellisdj said:
Ok no yes you did no i didnt arguements today. Think will stop a few audiophile readers committing harry carry
Hi,

Check page 37, 38, there is talk of RF and Faraday cages. This is probably the location of what you are referring to. It was not me.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Hi,

No, that was not me.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I think it was Andjm.

Although I can't be sure and I can't go back and check as I stabbed my own eyeballs out on about post #623...

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Hi,

No, that was not me.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I think it was Andjm.

Although I can't be sure and I can't go back and check as I stabbed my own eyeballs out on about post #623...

Guilty as charged. My point was that noise picked up by the speaker cables gets fed straight into the analogue innards of the amp, whereas noise picked up by the mains cable has to go through a highly effective filter called the power supply before it gets to the amp.

I was pointing out the inconsistency of this, and that if you are going to fret about noise, then it would make more sense to worry about shielding your speaker cables, and not worry about the mains lead.

My own view is of course that you'd be wasting your time worrying about either.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Post 686 were just getting started Gazzip mate.
I was only warming up for the first 500 posts.

I have lots more videos for shadders to scrutinise and vlad to make odd ball comments about

shadders

ellisdj said:
Post 686 were just getting started Gazzip mate. I was only warming up for the first 500 posts.

I have lots more videos for shadders to scrutinise and vlad to make odd ball comments about
Hi,

Serious question, do you scrutinise any of the hifi products or peripherals before purchasing? Even if it is asking on forums about the validity of the manufacturers claims.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes I do, maybe different to yourself - different experience and knowledge level obviously. I dare say nowhere near as much.

For a while I didnt want to have anything with a smps power supply in my system so was scrutiny that aspect of everything I was considering. I dont know if you mean that or more in depth.

When it comes to accessories I now only buy what I have tried and know that I like and feel its worth it. I was set and happy on a full set of cables from Graham slee. Well made reasonably priced they was going to do me for life after wasting money going round in circles with chord qed etc.

Same with power I had the titan and a full set of clearer audio and thought there is no point spending anymore than this it wont make any difference.

Thats when by pure chance i met a guy who is now a great pal who had xlo cables. Never heard of them before. Knew nothing about them. Instantly fell in love with them and no matter how much I didn't want them to be better than what I had the difference was so marked in the tests I did on them I had to accept it and now I have a near full set of them. These are it for me - these are special in my eyes they make more difference than any other cables I tried. Admittedly none were blind test so mean nothing to anyone else but me

They are very expensive but they shocked me and that is the only reason I now suggest people to try the more expensive lines. A couple years back I wouldn't have said that.
Same about dirac until a few months ago I would have said eq on bass only but dirac has changed my view on that.

Thats how I am doing it and its how its got me to where I am which is pretty good and I dont have all amazing boxes very far from it in fact. Just good boxes

I appreciate others think I am a Lemon thats fine with me.
Sorry for the book report post. Take me longer to delete it all now so just clicking save

shadders

ellisdj said:
Yes I do, maybe different to yourself - different experience and knowledge level obviously. I dare say nowhere near as much.

For a while I didnt want to have anything with a smps power supply in my system so was scrutiny that aspect of everything I was considering. I dont know if you mean that or more in depth.

When it comes to accessories I now only buy what I have tried and know that I like and feel its worth it. I was set and happy on a full set of cables from Graham slee. Well made reasonably priced they was going to do me for life after wasting money going round in circles with chord qed etc.

Same with power I had the titan and a full set of clearer audio and thought there is no point spending anymore than this it wont make any difference.

Thats when by pure chance i met a guy who is now a great pal who had xlo cables. Never heard of them before. Knew nothing about them. Instantly fell in love with them and no matter how much I didn't want them to be better than what I had the difference was so marked in the tests I did on them I had to accept it and now I have a near full set of them. These are it for me - these are special in my eyes they make more difference than any other cables I tried. Admittedly none were blind test so mean nothing to anyone else but me

They are very expensive but they shocked me and that is the only reason I now suggest people to try the more expensive lines. A couple years back I wouldn't have said that. Same about dirac until a few months ago I would have said eq on bass only but dirac has changed my view on that.

Thats how I am doing it and its how its got me to where I am which is pretty good and I dont have all amazing boxes very far from it in fact. Just good boxes

I appreciate others think I am a Lemon thats fine with me. Sorry for the book report post. Take me longer to delete it all now so just clicking save
Hi,

The post was ok. For me, i struggle to hear differences between dac's, and could not hear differences between cables. DAC's do have so much more variability due to ic's used, components etc., and if I find it difficult to hear the differences with those, then a bit of wire, for me, really has no characteristic sound.

I have run some simulations on qed 79 strand and van damme 2.5mm^2 stranded, and as expected, the results are different, but those differences are extremely small, 0.02dB differences. All this means is, you need to turn up the volume by 0.02dB.

You see statements on very expensive cable Web sites about fast cables, etc., and for the qed and van damme, the delay differences across the audio band are 67 pico seconds and 141 pico seconds respectively. Essentially, these numbers are meaningless. To put into perspective, it would be as if someone were claiming that they can hear in the frequency range 7GHz to 15GHz.

When you read the marketing on these Web sites, they sound very plausible, but, all cables that meet the qed 79 strand or thereabouts, are all anyone will ever need.

Regards,

Shadders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Leave it now
Unless shall we start a new post called:

Your cable/power conditioner of the day.

We could wait until 02h30 every morning to post so our thread is top of the pile when people wake up and log in(not for free marketing though)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I didnt realise that is what we was doing andrew.
I said it would be good to have coffee with shadders so we can speak about all this save writing it all out. He seems full of knowledge and passionate about engineering aspects thats someone who is interesting.
Just having honest conversation no harm being done. I think he feels the same.

There should be more active threads than this

shadders

ellisdj said:
I didnt realise that is what we was doing andrew. I said it would be good to have coffee with shadders so we can speak about all this save writing it all out. He seems full of knowledge and passionate about engineering aspects thats someone who is interesting. Just having honest conversation no harm being done. I think he feels the same.

Hi,

I think this is just discussion, however long it may be. Maybe got off track, here and there, but I think airing our views may help others.

Regards,

Shadders.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It's good that you've kissed and made up, but I honestly doubt anyone bothered reading your prolific quibble.
I did.

As a mild form of entertainment.

I'm happy to accept both points of view from the perspectives they were made from.

No big deal either way. It's only hi-fi. And within hi-fi it's only power cables being discussed in this thread - with a few meandering side-tracks.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I didnt realise that is what we was doing andrew.
I said it would be good to have coffee with shadders so we can speak about all this save writing it all out. He seems full of knowledge and passionate about engineering aspects thats someone who is interesting.
Just having honest conversation no harm being done. I think he feels the same.

That was just a joke as someone does song/track of the day at 02h30 am in the morning.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
images

TRENDING THREADS