Power cable

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I hear it too and I don't see any manipulation of the gear. Pretty straight forward. And I don't think it has anything with shielding, just your regular RLC parameters.

Drummerman has a good ear for these youtube videos, maybe give us some feedback.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I know ellisdj will read this. Have you seen Vantablack? Just thinking about your bat cave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v0_fID_jvA

Yes its about a £1million :) Be amazing though - you can afford it mate, can you buy me some please .... pretty please ;)

Well he could afford it until he watched Vlads video and realised he needs new cables... lol

shadders

Vladimir said:
This presentation is a game changer vis-a-vis cables.
Hi,

Not sure whether any differences were due to the video recorder amplifier - when they change cameras on cable changes etc - we cannot hear his voice - so the sound on the video is recorded from where at which point in time ?.

Second issue - the cables are coiled - i have seen double screened video cable cause serious interference on the picture due to the coiling of the cable.

Another issue is that the the explanation of splitting the cables does not make sense - this needs a bit of maths. Splitting the cable will reduce the cable capacitance per metre.

I think for any analysis of the change in sound, you would have to be there - so you hear the source, and not a recording.

Regards,

Shadders.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
I didnt realise that is what we was doing andrew. I said it would be good to have coffee with shadders so we can speak about all this save writing it all out. He seems full of knowledge and passionate about engineering aspects thats someone who is interesting. Just having honest conversation no harm being done. I think he feels the same.

There should be more active threads than this

That was just a joke as someone does song/track of the day at 02h30 am in the morning.

It may be for you - for me it's 7.30 in the morning...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Not sure whether any differences were due to the video recorder amplifier - when they change cameras on cable changes etc - we cannot hear his voice - so the sound on the video is recorded from where at which point in time ?.

Second issue - the cables are coiled - i have seen double screened video cable cause serious interference on the picture due to the coiling of the cable.

Another issue is that the the explanation of splitting the cables does not make sense - this needs a bit of maths. Splitting the cable will reduce the cable capacitance per metre.

I think for any analysis of the change in sound, you would have to be there - so you hear the source, and not a recording.

Regards,

Shadders.

But you DO hear the difference, right?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are mics on the front row desk in front of each speaker - I am pretty sure they are there for doing the recording. There are several camera men back corners of the room - hence the fancy angle changes :)

The coiled cables are just zip cord - mains wire there is no screen on them Shadders that we know of.

What do you think to his explanation re cable burn in??

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have just noticed something really interesting in this presentation.

In the first set of demo's there is a mistake and its hugely audbile - how mad is this.

When I first watched it I noticed it and thought that sounds odd - now I know why.

Its the first set of tests - the third test where they seperate the cables - I thought it sounded odd - really phasey and a bit underwater. Now I know why.

If you look at the setup you have 2 mics recording in mono to make stereo

The Wireworld sales manager numpty forgets to seperate the cables on his side - so you have one side seperated and one normal. What a plank - but it makes a difference - it sounds really weird.

Check minute 5.35 look at the Left speaker wires. - They do the exact same test at the end and this time properly seperate the cables and the difference is there compared to the direct connection but its not near as marked

EDIT - Comment at 32.31 - cables really affect jitter and you can measure it .....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you listen to how he describes other cables - fuller in upper bass and lower treble that is exactly how the Audioquest sounds compared to the wireworld - so apt choice there to demo.

Initially you think its better but it sounds thicker if you demo enough times - I am sad like that

We have to factor in where those mics are - nearfield - if you was sitting back row of the audatorium time the sound got to you - oh dear you can imagine the mess :)

The benefits of sitting close for hearing the differences in cables - I sit close maybe thats why my opinions are so strong :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Few years back a local audiophile here became outraged when AliExpress started selling fake Kimber 4TC and 8TC, so he ordered a pair of 8TC to compare to his originals and show us all that those fakes sound like poo (and so he can sleep at night).

To his surprise they sounded remarkably close to the originals. So his conclusion was that geometry (design) is what makes a difference, more than the quality of materials used. The fakes were typically rubbish car speaker cables braided same as the original Kimbers. Needless to say, we all started braiding rubbish cables from the spool to get some Kimber expensive sound. *biggrin* Male knitting got especially popular with CAT5 and 6 based DIYs. Different geometries kept us amused for years.

shadders

Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

But you DO hear the difference, right?
Hi,

Not sure - i am using a laptop - so sound is not great.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

ellisdj said:
There are mics on the front row desk in front of each speaker - I am pretty sure they are there for doing the recording. There are several camera men back corners of the room - hence the fancy angle changes :)

The coiled cables are just zip cord - mains wire there is no screen on them Shadders that we know of.

What do you think to his explanation re cable burn in??
Hi,

That is the problem, if double screened cable which is coiled can produce severe interference on video, then any unscreened cable will produce a worse effect.

I stopped watching after he talked about the separation of the cable pair and he said it is to do with EM theory - this is anot a technical discussion.

Burn in - what is being said is that the molecular structure of the material changes when you pass electricity through it and this change is permanent, and does not reverse - hence burn in. There are electric and magnetic fields all over the place - which will affect any material before you get to use it as part of your speaker cable. So does the material ignore these fields until the customer purchases the cable to burn it in ?

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Shadders all the cables for test are coiled - both sets of wirewold are coiled also

Please for once - just take it for what it is - do the listening tests, listen to what they guy says and listen to the full video without shutting it off because its not technical enough for you.

Its very basic - obviously intended to be - so please just humour us and watch it with decent sound so you can hear it

shadders

Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Triboelectric Noise, how does this affect our listening?
Hi,

The link states "The amount of charge generated is largely dependent on the composition of the materials and the amount of friction between the materials. Within medical cable assemblies and leadwires, random triboelectric noise is generated when the various conductors, insulation, and fillers rub against each other as the cable is flexed during movement.", so i would only expect this to be an issue when you move the speaker cables.

Looking at another reference - it is nanoamps of current (nano ampsec/wattsec of friction) - which cannot be heard.

https://www.trifield.com/content/tribo-electric-series/

The only way to see if cables do make a difference it so take part in a blind test, as it is claimed that people can hear differences, so that is what must be tested, the hearing of these people.

All the text on the cable websites and reviews is subjective - and they all say very similar things.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS