Power cable

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Your remembering it wrong and wont even admit to that.

Only thing new Garth mentions is a conditioning process for capacitors (i think) that he openly says he didnt invent just borrowed and put into place. Not new maybe just new to the industry.

HOME PRODUCTS REVIEWS ABOUT WHERE TO BUY
Professional Recommendations
Why professional Sound Engineers recommend our cable
Professional sound engineers and producers are using STUDIO CONNECTIONS cable because of its ability to deliver true, musical and accurate sound. This means delivering the immediacy of a real performer, whilst preserving the nuance of emotion and intimacy of a performance. Sound engineers are critical and even cynical about some claims- especially for cables- so here it is in their own words:-
Matt Colton, Alchemy Mastering, London
Mastering Engineer of the year 2013.

“Studio Connections cable provides a clear step forward in both the analogue and digital domain from anything else I have heard. The degree of realism and connection to the music that is achieved by using these cables is incredible. On one recording, just by changing the analogue cable runs, all of a sudden it sounded like the drummer was in the room with us. The piano lost the sense of ‘honkiness’ that was clouding it, and we could hear the air and space around it to a much greater extent. It’s like you aren’t hearing the cable anymore, and are engaging with the recording more than before.”

Matt Colton (Coldplay, Muse, James Blake, George Michael, Hot Chip, Metronomy, Laura Marling , FKA Twigs, New Order , Manic Street Preachers)
Picture
Cenzo Townshend, Decoy Studios, Suffolk
'Best Mix Engineer' award 2013 and 2014

"We produce a lot of different styles at Decoy Studio, and I am always skeptical what effect subtle differences will have with some types of productions, but with these cable improvements have been so immediately clear that its making blind testing a pointless formality."

Cenzo Townshend (Kaiser Chiefs, Tom Jones, Florence + The Machine, U2, Snow Patrol, Editors, The Cranberries, Paulo Nutini, Corinne Bailey Rae, The Stranglers, The Fall, XTC, Echo and the Bunymen, Lloyd Cole, New Order)
Picture
Chris Simpson, Loh Hum Audio, London and Singapore
System for ‘Oh What a Lovely War’ cabled with Studio Connections Platinum Interconnects and Reference Power cable:

“The cable is stunning! I am proud to have heard music this good. It’s not everyday stuff like this happens.”

Chris Simpson. Loh Humm Audio are renowned for their high quality theatre audio production in London's West End and the UK's major theatres
Picture
John Dunkerley,
Classical Engineer for EMI and Decca and an independent consultant for B&W Loudspeakers

" My initial reaction was that this cable gave a very detailed sound field with every nuance reproduced. I have listened to a large variety of material over a period of time. Gradually the sonic signature of the cable became apparent. The most immediate building block is the phase coherence as reproduced by the cable. Timing is impeccable, particularly in the bass domain. The sound stage is very deep and coherent with the smallest detail correctly apportioned. Imaging in the lateral plane is probably as good as I have heard, outside the Penthouse studio at Abbey Road. "

John Dunkerley John is a highly regarded recording engineer with over 500 Decca and EMI recordings credited to him and is an independent consultant for B&W

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry i only meant to paste the last one as its interesting that someone from the professional domain is describing the character of a cable.

That must make your blood boil shadders

shadders

ellisdj said:
Your remembering it wrong and wont even admit to that.

Only thing new Garth mentions is a conditioning process for capacitors (i think) that he openly says he didnt invent just borrowed and put into place. Not new maybe just new to the industry.

HOME PRODUCTS REVIEWS ABOUT WHERE TO BUY Professional Recommendations Why professional Sound Engineers recommend our cable Professional sound engineers and producers are using STUDIO CONNECTIONS cable because of its ability to deliver true, musical and accurate sound. This means delivering the immediacy of a real performer, whilst preserving the nuance of emotion and intimacy of a performance. Sound engineers are critical and even cynical about some claims- especially for cables- so here it is in their own words:- Matt Colton, Alchemy Mastering, London Mastering Engineer of the year 2013.

“Studio Connections cable provides a clear step forward in both the analogue and digital domain from anything else I have heard. The degree of realism and connection to the music that is achieved by using these cables is incredible. On one recording, just by changing the analogue cable runs, all of a sudden it sounded like the drummer was in the room with us. The piano lost the sense of ‘honkiness’ that was clouding it, and we could hear the air and space around it to a much greater extent. It’s like you aren’t hearing the cable anymore, and are engaging with the recording more than before.”

Matt Colton (Coldplay, Muse, James Blake, George Michael, Hot Chip, Metronomy, Laura Marling , FKA Twigs, New Order , Manic Street Preachers) Picture Cenzo Townshend, Decoy Studios, Suffolk 'Best Mix Engineer' award 2013 and 2014

"We produce a lot of different styles at Decoy Studio, and I am always skeptical what effect subtle differences will have with some types of productions, but with these cable improvements have been so immediately clear that its making blind testing a pointless formality."

Cenzo Townshend (Kaiser Chiefs, Tom Jones, Florence + The Machine, U2, Snow Patrol, Editors, The Cranberries, Paulo Nutini, Corinne Bailey Rae, The Stranglers, The Fall, XTC, Echo and the Bunymen, Lloyd Cole, New Order) Picture Chris Simpson, Loh Hum Audio, London and Singapore System for ‘Oh What a Lovely War’ cabled with Studio Connections Platinum Interconnects and Reference Power cable:

“The cable is stunning! I am proud to have heard music this good. It’s not everyday stuff like this happens.”

Chris Simpson. Loh Humm Audio are renowned for their high quality theatre audio production in London's West End and the UK's major theatres Picture John Dunkerley, Classical Engineer for EMI and Decca and an independent consultant for B&W Loudspeakers

" My initial reaction was that this cable gave a very detailed sound field with every nuance reproduced. I have listened to a large variety of material over a period of time. Gradually the sonic signature of the cable became apparent. The most immediate building block is the phase coherence as reproduced by the cable. Timing is impeccable, particularly in the bass domain. The sound stage is very deep and coherent with the smallest detail correctly apportioned. Imaging in the lateral plane is probably as good as I have heard, outside the Penthouse studio at Abbey Road. "

John Dunkerley John is a highly regarded recording engineer with over 500 Decca and EMI recordings credited to him and is an independent consultant for B&W
Hi,

What part am i remembering wrong ?. There was a fundamental scientific claim being made by the company - and NO evidence or peer reviewed paper presented. Why is that, do you think ?

Provide the link and i will confirm that it is the vieo i am talking about. Thanks.

Your references above - ALL cable companies have similar endorsements. They are hardly going to publish the responses :

"we heard no differences, it is an overpriced pile of cr*p, used to fleece gullible people of their money in search of something that is all in their head".

EVERY cable company has similar claims, so, this then means that they all perform the same, which then means that there is NO fantastic cable design as ALL people who believe have similar experiences.

The only difference is the differences between the people who believe that cables make a difference. You say tomayto, i say tomato.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

ellisdj said:
Sorry i only meant to paste the last one as its interesting that someone from the professional domain is describing the character of a cable.

That must make your blood boil shadders
Hi,

No - it is an industry professional endorsing a product by someone else in the same industry. That is the reason why i asked, is there a conflict of interest.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In the objectivist camp unfortunately some people idolize musicians and studio engineers, presuming they know their stuff and are some sort of audio sages. This is no different than subjectivist groupies idolizing certain exotic snake oil brands or tweaker guru. I do realize some of them are the real deal, however...

What lindsayt wrote about studio pros is 10000% accurate IME and extend this to the whole industry including artists. Most of them are idiots, ignorant, selfimportant twats. Money and publicity takes care of their "integrity" pretty fast. I don't put any blanket faith to any of them based on titles, strictly individual merit from direct experience or research. And their product speaks for itself. Most of the music in our lifetime is utter unlistenable garbage both as art and finalized produced product. IMO one to be an audiophile needs to refine personal taste in music, not just sift through gear, ending up with a 50K system only to listen to Coldplay.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For those reading the debate and not well introduced into the structure and techniques of debating, one side is cheating by argumenting from authority (the pros endorsment) and the opposite side retaliates by the only measure possible, character assasination (divorce money).

14fdb6982cd6edda514a83951371e29b.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
Fuk yeah! Turtle knows his stuff.

Hi Fi Mains Leads - Russ Andrews PowerKord 100
I was looking for a video that showed what speakers he has to see if they're as tragically bad as his plasticky Marantz TT and woolly Nad amp when I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEh8N-eCbSk

Made me laugh out loud when he treated the label side only.

Tututle deserves his own thread where we can discuss which of his videos are our favourites.

Forget the anti static spray he put a Cd playing side on the table, it made me cringe. *wacko*

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Electro said:
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:

I was looking for a video that showed what speakers he has to see if they're as tragically bad as his plasticky Marantz TT and woolly Nad amp when I came across this:

Tututle deserves his own thread where we can discuss which of his videos are our favourites.

Forget the anti static spray he put a Cd playing side on the table, it made me cringe. *wacko*

On a CD the label side is where the coating is, so it seems reasonable to spray magic foo on the label side. Going back to the cable thing nobody has addressed my fundamental point, which is that a mains lead cannot possibly affect performance. It can't happen.

shadders

Vladimir said:
For those reading the debate and not well introduced into the structure and techniques of debating, one side is cheating by argumenting from authority (the pros endorsment) and the opposite side retaliates by the only measure possible, character assasination (divorce money).
Hi,

C'mon, it wasn't character assassination, it was a presentation of facts that could be interpreted as one possible reason for starting a cable company to sell cables at excruciatingly high prices to people who are believers, endorsed by colleagues.

Why else sell such cables to people, you only have their interests at heart, not that you want to make vast sums of profit.........

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
In the objectivist camp unfortunately some people idolize musicians and studio engineers, presuming they know their stuff and are some sort of audio sages. This is no different than subjectivist groupies idolizing certain exotic snake oil brands or tweaker guru. I do realize some of them are the real deal, however...

What lindsayt wrote about studio pros is 10000% accurate IME and extend this to the whole industry including artists. Most of them are idiots, ignorant, selfimportant twats. Money and publicity takes care of their "integrity" pretty fast. I don't put any blanket faith to any of them based on titles, strictly individual merit from direct experience or research. And their product speaks for itself. Most of the music in our lifetime is utter unlistenable garbage both as art and finalized produced product. IMO one to be an audiophile needs to refine personal taste in music, not just sift through gear, ending up with a 50K system only to listen to Coldplay.

So having upheld the professional arena as "knowing their onions" for not using cable exotica, and having had that premise utterly blown out of the water, they now move to disparage studio professionals as charlatans who will say/do anything for a cheap buck. These guys slay me... hilarious. *lol*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
So my understanding of theses power cables and what they do different from a standard power cable is they have heavy shielding to stop RF interference as a standard power lead acts as a antenna and picks up radio waves from things like routes which interfere with the electrical signals which pass into the amplifier then on to your speakers . Is this correct

There is more to it. The cable itself has an electromagnetic field, because electricity flowing through wire creates that effect. This can create sideffects such as added noise, buzz, humm. When you have multiple conductors braided in a pattern, it cancels those fields out.

Put some heavy gauge solid copper single core wires as speaker cable they may throw your amp into oscilation and completely wreck it. But if you twist them together the inductance lowers and the amp will run perfectly fine. If your cables have multistrand design, each copper conductor interferes and cancels its neighbors EMI field. I've tried solid core single strand speaker wires (repurposed from mains house wiring) and the amp started to overheat within minutes. Twisted them together and voila, works. But in the end they were too stiff and impractical, I was just experimenting.

Some years ago I was hotroding a Harman Kardon amp, removed the stock main filter caps and connected with wires big Kendeil 22,000uF cans strapped with zip ties to the lid. On first test the amp made obnoxious loud hum. I twisted the wire leads connecting the PCB and the caps and the hum stopped, the EMI field generated arround the conductors canceled out. Also I've done experiments with braiding CAT5 and CAT6 in different geometries.

So when you pay special audiophile wire, you basically pay for knitted wire to calm down your OCD. Your stock cable that costs pennies and comes free has a flex multistrand design and as you've noticed nothing bad happens when you use them. No hum, buzz or overheating. But in the spirit of audiophile tweaking, even this must be brought to extremes with intricate braiding geometries and shielding layering.

Something for the European Schuko plug users reading this. It's recommended to plug your equipment to the mains with the right polarity of live and neutral. If you take a multimeter and measure voltage between your amp chassis and mains ground, you may notice a voltage reading. This means you should try pluging the other way round and measure again, if you get lower or no voltage, that is the correct way. You may notice a tingling effect on your skin when sliding your finger on metal surfaces of equipment. That's live current. Not good. Do the multimeter check and have the plug connected the proper way.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

There is a problem, in that scientific and engineering fact is discounted because peole state they can hear differences and believe the differences are real.

As i have stated before, i have tried cables of different costs, tried biwiring - and could hear no difference and was told i had not done it right, the cables were not expensive enough, my equipment was not high end enough etc.

Your statement highlighted infers that cables sound different. Would you then state that only people who believe that cables make a difference can respond to cable threads ?

Regards,

Shadders.
No, anyone is free to respond, but those that are taking the scientific approach and stating it's all nonsense should do so once - that's all it takes - we then know that individual's viewpoint, and we then know they have nothing more to add to the conversation. People forcing right/wrong opinions (based on whatever) is an argument, not a discussion.

In my opinion, there are cables out there that are produced purely as a jewellery, they're not fit for basing any decisions on. Any comparisons need to be done with a cable that has genuinely had some effort out into it. Just housing the cable in a nice jacket isn't going to improve anything. This, I presume, is why Ellis is trying to get the point across of audition a few different cables, not just one.

Generally, I'd say bi-wiring isn't worth doing, but that doesn't change the fact that I have heard systems where it has made a difference. This quantity of this difference is variable depending on the speaker in question, but it is never "night and day" as is sometimes quoted. Many cable differences are subtle. Whilst I always advocate using music you know very well to detect differences, some music just doesn't show differences well enough, if at all. Some do.

And I'm at a loss as to how my highlighted statement "infers that cables sound different". All I said was that I was going to have a listen to them. Maybe there'll be no difference. Maybe they'll blow me away. Who knows? But I'm going to try them all the same.

shadders

Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:

So having upheld the professional arena as "knowing their onions" for not using cable exotica, and having had that premise utterly blown out of the water, they now move to disparage studio professionals as charlatans who will say/do anything for a cheap buck. These guys slay me... hilarious. *lol*
Hi,

Whether it is endorsed by studio professionals or not, there is no scientific evidence that cables make a difference. Whether this is psychologically, materials science or engineering based.

What we ALWAYS have is believers refusing to state that they either do, or do not agree with expectation bias, and discounting the method of proving that they can hear a difference because it will result in them discovering that they cannot.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy by the people who believe cables make a difference.

All evidence presented by people who believe in cable differences are subjective, and refuse to acknowledge expectation bias as it disproves their approach.

What is very hilarious is that everything that is used to reproduce sound is based on science and engineering, yet, this obvious fact is never acknowledged by believers as it means they have to listen to those reailities of expectation bias, and question what they hear. So they ignore this and prefer to spend many hundreds and thousands of £'s on bits of wire, ignoring every other bit of wire, connection etc., already in the singal chain, and other areas. Why is this ? Because someone is selling them a cable.

If someone was selling them air to go between the speaker and their ears, then i am sure people would hear a difference.

Just because someone is selling you something, does not mean it works or you need it.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Electro said:
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:

On a CD the label side is where the coating is, so it seems reasonable to spray magic foo on the label side. Going back to the cable thing nobody has addressed my fundamental point, which is that a mains lead cannot possibly affect performance. It can't happen.

"Static electricity is generated by an unbalance of the molecular construction of relatively non-conductive insulators such as plastics, paper, glass, ceramics and other non conductive materials. All matter is composed of atoms. A balanced atom contains positive charges that are present in the nucleus of the atom." - Wikipedia

You sir, are not TrevC.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:

I have all cold play and muse cds and must tell you that they are amoung the worst sounding recordings i own.

So if this night and day difference with this new cable
Did this result???

Feels like the drummer is in the room

Feels like compression is in the room to me.

How many times do we hear this: night and day difference all of a sudden the artist is in the room.

So the cable did its job then?

Come on guys even the most placebo excited here must admit wgat a load of crap that is.

What vlad says about sums it up for me:
What vlad says here sums it up:
What lindsayt wrote about studio pros is 10000% accurate IME and extend this to the whole industry including artists. Most of them are idiots, ignorant, selfimportant twats. Money and publicity takes care of their "integrity" pretty fast.

Just because of the endorsements does not prove that snake oil products are recommneded by studios anyway.

If you deal with pro shops v hifi shops its a large difference in this way of thinking.

Ive also quoted studio manufacturers that make equipment that also say so but no one takes that on board either.

Now im off to find a £20 000 power conditioner on a isolating platform so i can hear the veil come off the speakers(for my nad 3020)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:

But you're presuming that most of them have 100% control of the work they do - "most of them" probably do a great job (they should do, it's their chosen profession and presumably they get paid well to do it - many of them may also be requested by the artist), but after they've finished, if the artists or record company says they want max level (at the expense of dynamics etc), then their work is compromised. Rick Rubin is very well known for what he does, but do we really think that he chose to compress the crap out of Metallica's Death Magnetic?

shadders

davidf said:
shadders said:
Hi,

There is a problem, in that scientific and engineering fact is discounted because peole state they can hear differences and believe the differences are real.

As i have stated before, i have tried cables of different costs, tried biwiring - and could hear no difference and was told i had not done it right, the cables were not expensive enough, my equipment was not high end enough etc.

Your statement highlighted infers that cables sound different. Would you then state that only people who believe that cables make a difference can respond to cable threads ?

Regards,

Shadders.
No, anyone is free to respond, but those that are taking the scientific approach and stating it's all nonsense should do so once - that's all it takes - we then know that individual's viewpoint, and we then know they have nothing more to add to the conversation. People forcing right/wrong opinions (based on whatever) is an argument, not a discussion.

In my opinion, there are cables out there that are produced purely as a jewellery, they're not fit for basing any decisions on. Any comparisons need to be done with a cable that has genuinely had some effort out into it. Just housing the cable in a nice jacket isn't going to improve anything. This, I presume, is why Ellis is trying to get the point across of audition a few different cables, not just one.

Generally, I'd say bi-wiring isn't worth doing, but that doesn't change the fact that I have heard systems where it has made a difference. This quantity of this difference is variable depending on the speaker in question, but it is never "night and day" as is sometimes quoted. Many cable differences are subtle. Whilst I always advocate using music you know very well to detect differences, some music just doesn't show differences well enough, if at all. Some do.

And I'm at a loss as to how my highlighted statement "infers that cables sound different". All I said was that I was going to have a listen to them. Maybe there'll be no difference. Maybe they'll blow me away. Who knows? But I'm going to try them all the same.
Hi,

My point was that i have tried, yet i was told i did it wrong, the cables were not expensive enough, or my system was not optimal - whatever that means.

If cables sound different - then ALL cables will sound different. This is an obvious fact. Each manufacturer will have their own "design" and process for manufacturing. The variation however small or large, will be heard by the believers.

I have yet to see a cable review where a reviewer stated that they could not tell the difference between two cables, or two cables were exactly the same in sound.

I said inferred as you are listening to cables - and unless they are from the same cable run - they will be different. I also indicated that science and engineering is important - you do not need to listen to have an opinion (re : I'm going to get a listen to these cables. Which is more than some will do on this thread.)

Regards,

Shadders.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I have all cold play and muse cds and must tell you that they are amoung the worst sounding recordings i own.

So if this night and day difference with this new cable Did this result???

Feels like the drummer is in the room

Feels like compression is in the room to me.

How many times do we hear this: night and day difference all of a sudden the artist is in the room.

So the cable did its job then?
Don't forget though that when the engineers state what they hear, they're listening to the actual masters they've been working on - most of the time, we don't get to hear what they hear... :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
My point was that i have tried, yet i was told i did it wrong, the cables were not expensive enough, or my system was not optimal - whatever that means.
I can't speak for your experience, nor do I know your system.

I said inferred as you are listening to cables - and unless they are from the same cable run - they will be different. I also indicated that science and engineering is important - you do not need to listen to have an opinion (re : I'm going to get a listen to these cables. Which is more than some will do on this thread.)

Regards,

Shadders.
Just stating a fact :)

shadders

davidf said:
shadders said:
Why else sell such cables to people, you only have their interests at heart, not that you want to make vast sums of profit.........

Regards,

Shadders.
There are far better ways to "make vast sums of profit"!!
Hi,

Probably - but when you realise how much the cable costs, even one with a bit of silver in it - the margins are extremely vast.

I have a transformer - 1kVA, and there is a lot of copper in it - cost me £70. When you know the releative cost of copper - you have to ask yourself why a cable costs so much.

Example - 1kg of copper scrap will cost £3.90 at most. There is probably in a 2metre cable 1/10th of this - 100grams - so 39p. Lets us assume double this - 78p.

Ignoring the silver content - or assume it is very low - people are paying £3,800 for copper material cost of less than £1.

This is why people make "special" cables - there is a lot of money to be made from believers.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

davidf said:
shadders said:
I can't speak for your experience, nor do I know your system.

Regards,

Shadders.
Just stating a fact :)
Hi,

Ok - did not mean to offend.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:

But you're presuming that most of them have 100% control of the work they do - "most of them" probably do a great job (they should do, it's their chosen profession and presumably they get paid well to do it - many of them may also be requested by the artist), but after they've finished, if the artists or record company says they want max level (at the expense of dynamics etc), then their work is compromised. Rick Rubin is very well known for what he does, but do we really think that he chose to compress the crap out of Metallica's Death Magnetic?

Believe it or not David, I was about to write in that post that I respect an off tune tone deaf 7 y/o girl practicing the piano more than Rick Rubins whole career. What are the odds of you mentioning him in the reply! Weird!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
With regards to mains cables, I would say it is something you need to try. I wouldn't say that just any specialist mains cable will make a difference, and it depends on the system in question as to whether any difference will be heard or be of any benefit. I remember when I was working at Superfi in Birmingham, I borrowed a specialist mains cable (about £110 worth) from a Derby based person who was manager of the Superfi branch in Derby, who was well into cables at that point...

No blind test, but it made a difference plugged into the Tag pre-amp. My system at the time was a Pioneer DV737 digital source, Tag AV32R 192, Bryston 3Bst, KEF Reference 4.2.
I'm surprised no one pulled me up about this post! I stated here that I did hear a difference. Sighted too!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Also in the bid to prove the facts on both sides.

Lets also not confuse the op between proffesional rigs and home rigs.

He asked if a power chord would upgrade his sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts