Power Cable Extension - Sony KDL40X2000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need an extension on my current power cable for the Sony KDL40x2000 due to where I have the TV on the wall and the proximatey of the wall socket. It needs to be approx. 4m long and of resoanble standard. Do I need to buy a specific power cable and what are the enhancements to the performance of the TV with a good power cable? Cheers.

A

Anonymous

The factory supplied cable has an induction coil on it, so as long as the new cable is fitted with one, it should be fine. Screening will improve picture quality and help reduce noise. I cant recommend a specific cable but im sure someone will shortly.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Or you could use a standard power cable with a ferrite clamp on it, which should be fine. Whether it will bring a significant gain in picture quality is a different matter...

Wouldn't spend a fortune on a mains cable for the TV - most 'audiophile' mains cables only come in lengths up to 2m anyway.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, but how does the ferrit clamp work then? Is it a mechanism of extending the wire by cutting and clamping where it needs to be joined? Just need to know how to plug the tv in with the point about 4 metres away. Sounds like I don't need to buy an expensive cable then - standard from B&Q job?

A

Anonymous

a ferrite clamp is to smooth the flow of electricity through the cable that you fit it to.

A

Anonymous

Just viewed the ferrite clamp online, gotcha.
Ok, so to clear up the extension requirement, use the current power cord, cut the plug off, wire into the ferrite clamp, new extension cord with plug on, into the other side of the ferrite clamp, plug in wall? That simple?

A

Anonymous

Ok, so a 4m standard cable with the relevant socket to plug into the TV with a couple of these bad boys on, and this should solve my problem?

A

Anonymous

no no no. the ferrite clamp is merely a ring, just goes around the cable, does not penetrate it in any way. A nice thick cable that is long enough for your needs and a ferrite clamp to 'clamp' round it is all you need.

http://www.rs100.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=581

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=N89AB&DOY=28m8 the N89AB will do.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You'd do better just to buy an IEC mains lead of the correct length - you'll probably have to buy a 5m one, as these are more common, and a couple of clamps. Maplin does a 5m IEC cable for about £7 or so, and the clamps are a couple of quid each.

A

Anonymous

the maplin one is fused at 5A, im not sure what a 40X2000 draws but thats the upper limit of their cable. dont buy that and think you can change to a 13A fuse otherwise, well i will leave that to your imaginations.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]the maplin one is fused at 5A, im not sure what a 40X2000 draws but thats the upper limit of their cable. dont buy that and think you can change to a 13A fuse otherwise, well i will leave that to your imaginations.[/quote]

205W, so less than 1A.

A

Anonymous

Ok, apologies for the ignorance on this. So, check what the TV pulls in terms of power and buy any standard cable accordingly along with the clamps.

Cheers Lads.

A

Anonymous

Andrew must have a wifi link to google in his brain to come up with these things so fast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts