Power Amp recommendation for B&W CM9 S2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dakchi said:
drummerman said:
dakchi said:
My record player is the USB version that has an integrated phono stage

What cartridge are you using?

The OM10

It may just be that your amplifier volume pot is geared sensibly and input sensitivity is reasonably low ie. max volume is not at 11 or 12 as with some others. It also means the inputs are unlikely to overload with high output sources.

All this is just an assumption as I am not familiar with your amplifier.

As long as you can still achieve high volume without audible distortion with your turntable as source I wouldn't worry.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As an aside, I've just spent some time on youtube to listen to a few uploaded Cambridge CXA80 vids.

Impressive clarity and control. Not unlike previous models of the brand. (There is also a vid with Sonus Faber floorstanders which look horrendous with their shiney driver rings. It sounds equally as bad but thats the recording quality as usual. They should be prevented from making videos like that. A good sound quality video policing unit is needed).

I would say that from listening to the better ones (videos) Musical Fidelity, particularly the larger ones (6 series) could be an alternative and upgrade with a smoother sound, better 'flow' and better bass.

Difficult to judge of course from youtube but the Cambridge seems a lot of amplifier for the money materially and soundwise. I kind of understand WHS&V's review and verdict though. The CXA defo seems to hark back to the 6 and 8 series Hifi sound even though they apparently changed the sound signature. The few videos with the 60 seem more 'musical' though it is likely a slight lack of grip, separation and power compared to the 80 that results in that. The 80 is undoubtedly the more accurate of the two if perhaps not the more musical. Many will no doubt disagree though and I remember that when I had the 850 at home it was an impressive listen.

Speaker dependant and in your case the 60 would probably struggle, so a wise choice.

All imho and to my ageing ears. Don't pay much attention to what I say :)

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'd be looking to get rid of that om10 first and foremost.it's a pretty rubbish cart and won't do anything any justice in your system .

As far as I know, changing the cartridge will not increase the volume. It is normal that the volume from a turntable is lower than other sources

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'd be looking to get rid of that om10 first and foremost.it's a pretty rubbish cart and won't do anything any justice in your system .

As far as I know, changing the cartridge will not increase the volume. It is normal that the volume from a turntable is lower than other sources

I quite like Ortofons at the lower end. Far prefer them over AT's. Less stereo separation but sounding more focused and coherent, less diffused imho. The 10 sports an elliptical I believe.

There are better, not least from Ortofon themselves but they cost more.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

It is normal that the volume from a turntable is lower than other sources

Yes. The signal coming from the turntable cartridge (OM10=4mV) is much weaker than digital devices (2Vrms) and needs larger preamplification (+ RIAA curve EQ applied). However when the signal comes out of the phono preamp it should be close to standard line level like digital devices. In your case its not amplified that much by the integrated phono, but certainly usable.

I wouldn't worry about it. People buy these turntables for looks, cool factor, vinyl fad. Unlikely that you are a vinyl afficionado and critical listener.

Vladimir said:
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Yes. The signal coming from the turntable cartridge (OM10=4mV) is much weaker than digital devices (2Vrms) and needs larger preamplification (+ RIAA curve EQ applied). However when the signal comes out of the phono preamp it should be close to standard line level like digital devices. In your case its not amplified that much by the integrated phono.

I wouldn't worry about it. People buy these turntables for looks, cool factor, vinyl fad. Unlikely that you are a vinyl afficionado and critical listener.

Ouch! But possibly to the point....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

As far as I know, changing the cartridge will not increase the volume.

Ceramic carts are loudest, almost line level. MM much lower signal, MC is amoeba karaoke.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Yes. The signal coming from the turntable cartridge (OM10=4mV) is much weaker than digital devices (2Vrms) and needs larger preamplification (+ RIAA curve EQ applied). However when the signal comes out of the phono preamp it should be close to standard line level like digital devices. In your case its not amplified that much by the integrated phono.

Afficionados don't plug wall warts to spin records. Best to not kid ourselves.

I'm not talking about volume level here (but it will increase slightly)but overall sound quality....once you taste a 2m blue or equivalent from another stable you won't go back . keep in mind it would have to be a mm cart and project arms are pretty well set up for ortofons from the 2m range.In fact your amplifier and speakers really deserve this as the first thing you sort out before making any other judgement on whatever is the issue you believe to be wrong within it.That om10 is really holding it back.why not buy yourself a decent turntable /stage and cart instead of the power amp....it'll absolutely turn your system around and show what your amp and speakers are capable or incapable of.money much better spent imho.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
dakchi said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Afficionados don't plug wall warts to spin records. Best to not kid ourselves.

True. We all know they use gold-coloured power cables direct to that mains socket..

Just thought I'd mention that as the Power Cable thread seems to be doing so well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts