Power Amp recommendation for B&W CM9 S2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
YAMAHA A-S2100 *man_in_love*

700VA KGCOMP Japan EI transformer, 88.000uF Nichicon capacitor bank, million Nichicon gold tune caps and blue drops throughout, Alps pot, Sanken 20A 150W MOSFETs ​
yep I had the case off mine

because one day the amp went into protection mode after plunging in some headphones which at the time I tried everything to get the amplifier out of protection mode so it was a headache to be honest .

anyway I YouTube it on how to take the amplifier out of protection mode I found out that you have to turn all of the noobs fully one way to get it to come out of protection mode but it was a close call because I nearly had taken the amplifier back to the shop because I thought I had a fault . But it was nearly brown paints time .

Generally we are not suposed to plug in or unplug headphones while amp is working with cans switched on and signal playing. Every inserting or taking the socket out, you short out the amp.
that's something I did not no mate I've learned something there thanks because it's a sod to get out of protection mode

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The amp is compeletly fine. Who puts protection on a bloody headphone amp?! *wacko* Everything is overengineered on these Yamahas.

I even get sparks when pluging out jacks on my $50 Shenzhen headphone amp. It's part of the magic. *crazy*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The amp is compeletly fine. Who puts protection on a bloody headphone amp?! *wacko* Everything is overengineered on these Yamahas.

I even get sparks when pluging out jacks on my $50 Shenzhen headphone amp. It's part of the magic. *crazy*
lol it took me back a bit when the amplifier went into protection mode I thought what have I done wrong because I never had that issue before with a amplifier .

About the abrahamsen 2up

i know the power supply on that amplifier is 1000 va and it was a good amplifier but I found the Yamaha to be a lot better then the abrahamsen even though my Yamaha has a power supply of 750va it did not make a lot difference really

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

lol it took me back a bit when the amplifier went into protection mode I thought what have I done wrong because I never had that issue before with a amplifier .

About the abrahamsen 2up

i know the power supply on that amplifier is 1000 va and it was a good amplifier but I found the Yamaha to be a lot better then the abrahamsen even though my Yamaha has a power supply of 750va it did not make a lot difference really

At that price difference it better sound better, otherwise it's back to the shop.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
The amp is compeletly fine. Who puts protection on a bloody headphone amp?! *wacko* Everything is overengineered on these Yamahas.

I even get sparks when pluging out jacks on my $50 Shenzhen headphone amp. It's part of the magic. *crazy*

About the abrahamsen 2up 

Hi

What happened to the abrahamsen in the end?
Did you keep it?

I think.i remember you kept the marantz 8005 but what happened to the abe?

It would be a good test to.check them all

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

About the abrahamsen 2up

Hi

What happened to the abrahamsen in the end? Did you keep it?

I think.i remember you kept the marantz 8005 but what happened to the abe?

It would be a good test to.check them all
i traded in the lot

I had the abrahamsen 2up , abrahamsen 2up cdplayer which had a problem with it which way I had it with abrahamsen stuff as the customer service sucks if you have an issue and the cdplayer was faulty right from the start . I had the marantz PM8005 and cd8005 which I did want to keep the marantz amp as a back up amp but that went in as part of the trade

i had Arcam ir dac , Dali Zensor 3s and Dali Zensor 1s which I was going to keep the Zensor 3s for home cinema back speakers for when i was ready to setup a home cinema .

but basically i traded the lot in so I could get the Yamaha A S2100 and I do not regret it I got what I wanted out of it I got rid of the junk lost a bit of money out of it as some of the things I was traded in I could of got more money for but I did not want the hassle of selling that lot on eBay but hay I am happy .

Sabbath..Am I right in hearing you.....just said that the Abrahamsen, marantz,ir dac,dali's was JUNK.....OH the wrath you're going to feel.especialy when they were all the best things since sliced bread when you did aquire them originally.Never say your unwanted gear is sh$t.one man's junk is another's treasure.show some respect mate.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No reason for anyones wrath. We all walk our own path in this hobby and some should know it gets messy and pissy (and costly) at times. What matters is reaching the destination and enjoying music.
Indeed one man's junk is another man's treasure. Some day maybe the Yamaha will be labeled as junk. Who knows what the journey has to bring next.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Sabbath..Am I right in hearing you.....just said that the Abrahamsen, marantz,ir dac,dali's was JUNK.....OH the wrath you're going to feel.especialy when they were all the best things since sliced bread when you did aquire them originally.Never say your unwanted gear is sh$t.one man's junk is another's treasure.show some respect mate.
mark maybe junk is to strong of a word

I had it all sitting in my attic blocking space and no it was not junk at the time of me buying that lot bellive me I had a goal to raise funds to get the Yamaha

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No reason for anyones wrath. We all walk our own path in this hobby and some should know it gets messy and pissy (and costly) at times. What matters is reaching the destination and enjoying music. Indeed one man's junk is another man's treasure. Some day maybe the Yamaha will be labeled as junk. Who knows what the journey has to bring next.
Vladimir I got the Yamaha as a keeper as it should hopefully last me meany years to come

just like the old CA2100 mine should last just as long unless I come into some money then it will be the A S3000 and my A S2100 as a second amplifier .*smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
No reason for anyones wrath. We all walk our own path in this hobby and some should know it gets messy and pissy (and costly) at times. What matters is reaching the destination and enjoying music. Indeed one man's junk is another man's treasure. Some day maybe the Yamaha will be labeled as junk. Who knows what the journey has to bring next.
Vladimir I got the Yamaha as a keeper as it should hopefully last me meany years to come

just like the old CA2100 mine should last just as long unless I come into some money then it will be the A S3000 and my A S2100 as a second amplifier .*smile*

I don't know if you remember, we all screamed at you to stop upgrading and changing gear too fast. Now you are in a good place. Don't start the madness again.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

I don't know if you remember, we all screamed at you to stop upgrading and changing gear too fast. Now you are in a good place. Don't start the madness again.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive gone through a few amps myself also - its good fun

I think i know where i want to be now but who knows once i am.

As long as you happy its all good.
The yamaha looks a beast. I would like to test one out some day.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No reason for anyones wrath. We all walk our own path in this hobby and some should know it gets messy and pissy (and costly) at times. What matters is reaching the destination and enjoying music.
Indeed one man's junk is another man's treasure. Some day maybe the Yamaha will be labeled as junk. Who knows what the journey has to bring next.

Nop. My junk is just junk.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yeah Sabbath,I know you had to move your gear on but calling it junk was a bit unfair to people whom have saved all their hard earned for said kit....stay in the good place with your yams,you've only had them a year or so.lol.
i had to save myself and not on the never,never it was saved hard cash i am not rich and i have to think of my little one always first before myself which took me ages getting the money togeather to buy what i brought .

i have stopped the bug of buying hifi 12 months ago or more the yamaha stopped the bug but i had to make some mistakes before finding the right gear which can be hard to do first time round without wasting abit of money on the way its just how the hobby is sometimes . *smile*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yeah Sabbath,I know you had to move your gear on but calling it junk was a bit unfair to people whom have saved all their hard earned for said kit....stay in the good place with your yams,you've only had them a year or so.lol.
i had to save myself and not on the never,never  it was saved hard cash i am not rich and i have to think of my little one always first before myself which took me ages getting the money togeather to buy what i brought .

i have stopped  the bug of buying hifi 12 months ago or more the yamaha stopped the bug but i had to make some mistakes before finding the right gear which can be hard to do first time round without wasting abit of money on the way its just how the hobby is sometimes . *smile*

Good for you. Now stay away from the review sites and don't believe anyone that says the 3000 series is any better :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
i had to save myself and not on the never,never it was saved hard cash i am not rich and i have to think of my little one always first before myself which took me ages getting the money togeather to buy what i brought .

i have stopped the bug of buying hifi 12 months ago or more the yamaha stopped the bug but i had to make some mistakes before finding the right gear which can be hard to do first time round without wasting abit of money on the way its just how the hobby is sometimes . *smile*

Good for you. Now stay away from the review sites and don't believe anyone that says the 3000 series is any better :)

Actually it's not better. More or less same amp, but they swapped the audio nirvana inducing EI transformer for a torroid. VU metters I like but not that prominent on a bloody integrated. OK on poweramps, but not something I turn the knobs on. Doesn't feel right, it's gimmicky like a Mcintosh.

No wonder WHF gave it 3 stars. I'd take the A-S2100 over the 3000 regardless of budget.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Actually it's not better. More or less same amp, but they swapped the audio nirvana inducing EI transformer for a torroid. VU metters I like but not that prominent on a bloody integrated. OK on poweramps, but not something I turn the knobs on. Doesn't feel right, it's gimmicky like a Mcintosh.

No wonder WHF gave it 3 stars. I'd take the A-S2100 over the 3000 regardless of budget.
i have not heard one yet but at £6000 the A-S2100 was the best option that i could afford and i do not regret buying the A-S2100 one bit its worth every penny and the fact i never paid the full price for it i got mine for £1200 at the time which is a bargain .

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dakchi

How is it with you amp(search)? Still enjoying the sound, the warmth?

A cheap way of playing with amp's is buying from eBay. I bought an old NAD amp which I sometimes use in my main system. With only 40 W/ch it let's my B&W's sing!

Enjoy your music!

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
sound10 said:
Just out of interest dakchi how high on the dial are you needing to take the volume on your Cambridge Audio to enjoy your music? Having spoken to Bowers & Wilkins technical, they recommend never to take the volume dial past 12 o clock as it could introduce clipping and potentially damage the speaker.

I have to correct what I said earlier. I do reach 12 o'clock when playing records. As you know, the volume of the sound out of a record player is low than other sources. That's why I have to put the volume high to be at the same level as other sources. Would this be an issue?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dakchi said:
sound10 said:
Just out of interest dakchi how high on the dial are you needing to take the volume on your Cambridge Audio to enjoy your music? Having spoken to Bowers & Wilkins technical, they recommend never to take the volume dial past 12 o clock as it could introduce clipping and potentially damage the speaker.

I have to correct what I said earlier. I do reach 12 o'clock when playing records. As you know, the volume of the sound out of a record player is low than other sources. That's why I have to put the volume high to be at the same level as other sources. Would this be an issue?

It depends on the phono stage/pre-amplifier you're using. Still, 12 on the dial does seem excessive for normal levels.

You are using an external phono stage right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts