poor speed options? Any?

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all i am currently connected to BT on my wifi through Plus net i know every thing goes through BT Sky and so on and uses there network.
My speed is very poor 26 mbs if im lucky i cant get virgin here or any form of cable has i am aware of ,does any one know of a good high speed replacent option ?

Friesiansam

Hi all i am currently connected to BT on my wifi through Plus net i know every thing goes through BT Sky and so on and uses there network.
My speed is very poor 26 mbs if im lucky i cant get virgin here or any form of cable has i am aware of ,does any one know of a good high speed replacent option ?
All ISPs will be using the same BT infrastructure, so that speed is all you will get. You are stuck with it until such time as either cable or full fibre (FTTP) services come your way. I'm in much the same position as you on 27.4Mbps.

Reactions: hifi and Symples
All ISPs will be using the same BT infrastructure, so that speed is all you will get. You are stuck with it until such time as either cable or full fibre (FTTP) services come your way. I'm in much the same position as you on 27.4Mbps.
Yes, you can pay extra to get the best possible speed from Plusnet but you might already have that. I am with them as well and dont get a great deal more.
We have fibre to the box but the distribution box is a good way away so it's down to whatever the old copper cable can get to us....
NOTE:not sure how you tested speed but not all checkers are the same, I get different speeds depending on which I use from 28-43Mbps

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Yes, you can pay extra to get the best possible speed from Plusnet but you might already have that. I am with them as well and dont get a great deal more.
We have fibre to the box but the distribution box is a good way away so it's down to whatever the old copper cable can get to us....
NOTE:not sure how you tested speed but not all checkers are the same, I get different speeds depending on which I use from 28-43Mbps
Been at or close to that speed for a few years now, it’s as good as it gets here. No point paying for more, because there is no more. However, FTTP is supposed to be on the way this year, courtesy of Airband and Connecting Devon and Somerset.

Reactions: Al ears

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Buy a new house and get fibre to the premises and there's a chance I may have designed it....
But on a serious not. Until Virginmedia or some other company lays cable, you'll be stuck with those speeds. Which to be honest is not terrible.

All stated. All your ADSL will be using BT/Openreach network. Regardless on who you choose.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Just tested and got 9.1.
City Fibre invested millions in my borough. Between them and the ISPs, they're desperate for me to sign up for full fibre.
They've got a long wait - many more like me (and I suspect there are) and they probably wish they hadn't bothered.

yes i have but its all open reach !
Yes, it'll all be Openreach if there's no Virgin or the newer fibre-optic line in your area. Once you know what's the maximum speed your line can support, you can look at options to ensure you get the best possible speed. This could be BT or any other broadband provider. They all lease the line from Openreach, even though BT owns Openreach.

daveh75

Firstly; how are you testing speeds?
You really need to be testing connected directly to the router via ethernet to eliminate the vagaries of WiFi etc:

Secondly; What does the BTw DSL checker tell you about what technologies and estimated speeds that are available to you.

Thirdly; What are the mobile networks like in your area?

If you've good 4 or 5G coverage then mobile broadband can be a good alternative.

Lastly; its worth keeping an eye on the Better Internet Dashboard website which collates info from various sources to let you know what providers are available in your area etc and any planned works from roadworks applications and mobile coverage maps for example

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr and hifi

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
You really need to be testing connected directly to the router via ethernet to eliminate the vagaries of WiFi etc:

Secondly; What does the BTw DSL checker tell you about what technologies and estimated speeds that are available to you.

If you've good 4 or 5G coverage then mobile broadband can be a good alternative.
I ve tried all the above at max speed ! i did wonder about 4 or 5G .

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site

Lastly; its worth keeping an eye on the Better Internet Dashboard website which collates info from various sources to let you know what providers are available in your area etc and any planned works from roadworks applications and mobile coverage maps for example

interesting thanks 👍

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Google UK line bonding

Join two or more i ternet connections into one connection, combining the speeds into one.

Not a cheap option, but one to consider if you are really in need of more speed.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
So After 4 months of very poor speeds drop outs and many phone calls and BT visits too my home i have 25 MBPS still not great but double what i was getting. when this contact ends i will go for 4G.
I did have the option too cancel my contract free after all the problems.
I now have a brand new line after they found damp in the box in the street.

JoJoBot420

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
I swapped through multiple providers with no significant change, super annoying. Then, I tried proxies. They help optimize the connection.
You enter these proxy data into your device settings, and they can help boost your current speed by connecting you through a different ISP network. I've used isp proxies from proxys.io, which helped improve my situation tremendously with steady, reliable speed. The store is reliable, and the prices are reasonable. So, it's worth checking out that option.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts