Stable home WiFi solutions

I've got BT Infinity with about 140Mbps speed. I've switched the WiFi off and connected Google WiFi (2-pack) which has been fine but since a few months , the WiFi has been extremely flaky. It drops connections frequently. It's almost 4 years old and wondered if I need to change it. I've got a lot of smart home gadgets and AV equipment (around 50 Philips Hue lights, Nest thermostat, PS3, Nintendo switch, 3 TVs, tablets, laptops, mobile phones etc.) connected to the network.

My options are:

1) Get a Google Nest WiFi to add to my existing mesh.

2) Invest in a different brand.

3) Get a WiFi 6 router and use it as a switch.

Any suggestions? Thanks

D

Deleted member 188533

Networking is not a strong point of mine at all. But I asked a buddy who suggested you should look into Amplifi and the Alien in particular if you want Wi-Fi 6. You can also use the Amplifi HD as a cheaper option but there's no Wi-Fi 6.

Amplifi is the consumer brand for Ubiquiti. The Amplifi HD is solid, and comes with a main router/AP and two mesh APs. The Alien is brand new, much more expensive, and has WiFi 6. As of right now, you have to buy multiple Alien's to make a mesh network.

D

Deleted member 188533

He thinks the number of IoT things you have connected is too much for what you have now.

D

Deleted member 188533

Like I said this is beyond my basic networking knowledge. I've got a good friend I talk to on Discord pretty much daily and I was relaying his advice. I think he went to bed. But I passed on the link and I'll see what he thinks and get back to you. He knows his stuff with networking and security.

Reactions: bigboss
D

Deleted member 188533

That Alien sure is nice. Doesn't look like it's available anywhere in Europe yet though.

D

Deleted member 2457

We got BT Fibre. When we measured it last time with you bb it was around 150. I have just measured it again on various sites with mixed readings but the average was 76. I think they have cut the internet speeds though at the moment, could you link to a good speed test for me so I can measure accurately? Cheers

D

Deleted member 108165

Just done an ookla speedtest on my BT ISP and the speeds are definitely down from where they normally are.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 188533

He recommends the AmpliFi HD unless you just need the crazy bandwidth of WI-Fi 6. He thinks it's probably the most stable solution for you with all those IoT devices.

Tonestar1

Hi BB,
The BT Whole Home wi-fi discs are pretty well thought of and have won best in class reviews. Since you already have a home hub id be contacting BT to see what they can do for you deal wise. I'm pretty sure Hue set up their own mesh via the bridge on zigbee so they would really only count as one device, If you want to go mad you could start setting up individual vlans for each type of device which would reduce the amount of devices in each broadcast network but id be trying to keep it simple first.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. In terms of specs, Nest WiFi is as good as the BT option and is cheaper than Amplifi HD. I've ordered the Nest WiFi and use my existing Google WiFi to extend the network even more (increasing from 2 to 4). I can always return it if it doesn't do what is intended. Amplifi HD is a good shout and will be my next option of Google Nest doesn't work.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I have used Draytek equipment for years.

I use a 2862 non Wi Fi router with one AP910c which gives me wall to wall Wi Fi.

I also hard wire as much as I can which is not also possible for some but as I live in a bungalow it makes it an easier task.

I only get 40Mbps Down and 10Mbps and I have approximately 15 devices always online at any one time but I can stream movies any time of the day without freezing.

Here are a couple of pics, the best thing about the AP is it just looks like another smoke detector. :)
20200406_101849.jpg20200406_101931.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts