PMC twenty 24 too tall?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering the PMC twenty 24 for my listening room 3.5x7.5m, i listen width ways so 2.5m away from speakers. The speakers are 102.5cm +2.5mm spikes tall. Sat down on my sofa my ear canal seems to be at 105.0cm height but 101.0cm when slouched and comfy :) My current speakers are 99cm tall and seem to be a great height. I'm slightly concerned that the PMCs could be too tall. Any thoughts? Thanks.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps leave off the spikes?
Or go for the Twenty 23's
Yeah, i thoight about taking off spikes. Do younthink that would effect the bass bloom though with the atl being closer to the floor?
I have been considering the 23s but i like a full sound and in my head im thinking the larger driver would be better, but im aware i could be totally wrong here. Sucks not being able to go and demo anywhere atm.

Yeah, i thoight about taking off spikes. Do younthink that would effect the bass bloom though with the atl being closer to the floor?
I have been considering the 23s but i like a full sound and in my head im thinking the larger driver would be better, but im aware i could be totally wrong here. Sucks not being able to go and demo anywhere atm.
Doesn't it just.
You could just but a pair of nice plump cushions to sit on..... :)
or indeed raise the sofa
To be honest I don't think the height will be a big issue here.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't it just.
You could just but a pair of nice plump cushions to sit on..... :)
or indeed raise the sofa
To be honest I don't think the height will be a big issue here.
Cool.
Yeah i was thinking of buying matching spikes for the sofa, but would prob hurt my back trying to set up them correctly. (Kidding :))

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm not convinced by the 'tweeter at ear level' requirement - the stands I have my old Spendors on are a bit taller than ideal, meaning I'm at mid / bass driver level, but I don't hear a big difference if I sit up so I'm level with the tweeter. I guess PMCs could be more sensitive to vertical position?
Horizontal placement is a different matter though!

Reactions: radiorog
The measurements of 102.5 cm plus spikes is to the top of the cabinet. The middle of the tweeter must be around 5cm or more lower than that, so should be spot on.
In any case, most PMCs work best firing straight ahead rather than toed-in towards the listener. So they should be absolutely fine. You can always lean them upwards or downwards slightly with the front and rear spike adjustment, if you want to tweak the axis.

D

Deleted member 160668

I replied to your other thread and have 23's.

Don't worry about height. If anything I would suggest also investing in some IsoAcoustic Gaia's which will actually raise the height slightly, but which make a huge difference in sound quality and tighten up the bass. Everyone should try a set of these btw - they are pricey, but make such a difference to already excellent speakers.

The 23's have plenty of bass. Very clean bass. I too am 3.5m approx away, although your room is wider if you are firing across the short wall.

You will literally grin your tits off with either pair, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes, mines a bias view. But good god they sound awesome!!

Enjoy!!

D

Deleted member 160668

most PMCs work best firing straight ahead rather than toed-in towards the listener.
Have to disagree with you here NP. These work better slightly toed in, not much though.

As to OP. Just spent last 10 mins or so, varying my listening height significantly.

Crack on fella. A couple of inches higher or lower is gonna make zero odds to sound. They still sound excellent stood up and I'm way above tweeter height then.

The 23s are the only ones from the range I've demoed. Cracking with the right amplifier, and pretty compact.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, didnt get back sooner as picked up a bug/virus, awaiting test results. We had an outbreak at our work, I do support work, and we lost one of the people we support. Stay safe everyone, and doing some research it appears that advice is to double up on your masks if you dont have N95 ones. :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You will literally grin your tits off with either pair, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
hahaha....sounds good! Yeah I wish I could go somewhere to hear the two.I'm coming from dynaudio dm2/7 which are standmounts, but lots of bass, too boomy at times, but creates a very good general sound for most styles of music. I really dont want to end up with something too lean. How do they work with elctronic music or Hiphop?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
yeah, to update both the 23 and 24 are available, in varying colours. Theres a piano gloss black nearish to me (24's) my only concern is that they will be placed either side of my TV, and I'm worried when watching TV the screen will be reflecting in the speaker side walls, and then back onto the TV. This would bug me I think i'm sure. Anyone had experience with shiny speakers near a TV?

D

Deleted member 160668

Electronic & HipHop, excellent... I am a huge hiphop fan. You will be fine.

As to gloss black, mmm, not for me thanks- will look dusty 10 seconds after they've been dusted 😂

Edit - as above, treat yourself... Isoacoustic Gaia (you'll need Gaia III's for those). Buy them 2nd hand off Ebay for about 300 or so. If you don't like them (you will) you can easily move then back on via ebay at no loss. Set your new badboys up, give them a bit of time to get used to them (whilst grinning your tits off 😁). Then add the Gaia's.... The PMC's are excellent already, but with Gaia's a noticeable improvement to sound again - you can thank me later 😉👍

Last edited by a moderator:

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Electronic & HipHop, excellent... I am a huge hiphop fan. You will be fine.

As to gloss black, mmm, not for me thanks- will look dusty 10 seconds after they've been dusted 😂

Edit - as above, treat yourself... Isoacoustic Gaia (you'll need Gaia III's for those). Buy them 2nd hand off Ebay for about 300 or so. If you don't like them (you will) you can easily move then back on via ebay at no loss. Set your new badboys up, give them a bit of time to get used to them (whilst grinning your tits off 😁). Then add the Gaia's.... The PMC's are excellent already, but with Gaia's a noticeable improvement to sound again - you can thank me later 😉👍
cool, sorry for late reply, got struck down with covid, its been doing the rounds where I work. I'm currently fine, just mild virus symptoms so far 🤞 🤞
Anyway day before I got struck down, I moved the furniture in my flat. Immediate thought was, theres no difference to sound at all. But I really love the new layout, and I think this is effecting in my mind how I feel about the sound. Maybe the visual layout is playing some tricks on my mind, but I'm enjoying my music even more at the moment, and feel I have to reaquaint myself with the sound.
I'll be sure to have a look at those Gaia feet.
Yeah I'm not sure about the gloss black, they could look great and I dont think the dust thing is an issue for me as I already have a gloss black unit my TV is on that need a regular dusting so the speakers would get attention at the same time. It's simply the reflection issue when I'm watching TV that could be a real issue. I worry if there's reflection and I notice it, it will be impossible to unsee it when watching the box.
I wonder how the 23 and 24 sound differs?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I would guess so. I heard them with Rega Elicit-R and later, a Yammy receiver. I was quite impressed by their overall balance.
Cool, i do highly rate my Dyns, but they are £600 speakers, and I'm really after that extra low end (not bass weight, but depth). Just seen Steve Gutts review of the Dyn specials, and he loves them. Looks like theyve made an amazing speaker there.

Cool, i do highly rate my Dyns, but they are £600 speakers, and I'm really after that extra low end (not bass weight, but depth). Just seen Steve Gutts review of the Dyn specials, and he loves them. Looks like theyve made an amazing speaker there.

It is all about context. The biggest problem I've always come across with Dyns is they can be tricky when it comes to placement.

Look after yourself.

D

Deleted member 160668

Are you feeling better now Sir?

Also, which did you buy and do you like em?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you feeling better now Sir?

Also, which did you buy and do you like em?
Hey! Yeah, am feeling a lot better now thanks, although there is the final 10 percent which is still there and taking a long time to shift. From what I've heard this is fairly normal. I hope it all clears off!
Yeah, I'm still looking into it all :) I never have been the best decision maker 😆 I'm still looking at the Twenty 24, the Twenty 23, and possibly the Twenty5 22, and maybe the Twenty5 23. I was pretty sold on the Twenty 24 and didnt pull the trigger quickly enough to get a pair fairly local, but there are others out there. But somebody was telling me a couple of days ago that they thought the twenty 24 might be too big for my room. They said they need a bit of volume to start to come on sound. This is contrary to PMC stating they sound good at low volumes, but maybe this is low volumes in a larger room, quite a different thing i guess.
So I'm unsure atm what to do. Thinking maybe I should wait for lock down to ease and then go for a listen to some PMCs at a local showroom. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Al ears

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I recently bought a pair of Twenty5.24s and couldn't be happier with them! They stand on IsoAcoustic Gaia III so they gained some height.
Haven't measured how high I sit in my sofa but the extra height didn't affect the sound in a bad way.
Anyway just wanted to give my warmest recommendation for the speakers. They totally made me fall in love with music again.
I was at a dealer demoing the Twenty5.22 which I first wanted to get, then I saw he had the Twenty5.24s standing in the background.
Asked him if I could listen to them and after 2 songs I pulled the trigger. :)
If you can, try to listen to some different models at a showroom.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts