PMC GB1i vs Dynaudio Focus 160 on stands?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

About to come into some money :) Currently have a system of music streamed from my laptop to my squeezebox touch, connected to a burson audio buffer, then to the Leema Pulse MkII driving Dynaudio X-12's and a B&W PV1d Sub! Love the Dynaudio sound and hear that if I like Dynaudio I should also like PMC... now listening is not an option where I live so it is risky and failed once with the B&W 685's. But looking for an upgrade and not wanting to replace the Leema do you think either of the options I have suggested will be a viable option and give me a def increase in performance? Basically they would cost me exactly the same for either, I listen to all types of music and enjoy a detailed fun sound that is not bright. Am happy to hear alternative suggestions too. My biggest concern is the 4ohm load of the Dynaudio's.

Regards,

Darryn

I would suggest looking at a new source. I recently had the Rega Apollo on home dem and it sounded impressive with the Leema. Although I will be looking at (possibly) Rega Saturn or Rega Dac once the speakers have changed.

FWIW, PMC are a little easier to drive than the Dyns and sounded really good with Leema (DB1is not GB1i). You could also look at Totem, another good match. Totem, to my ears, are slightly smoother than PMC 'i' series...

Hope this helps...

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Your always helpful Plastic Penguin :) But just to clarify... I really don't want to go down the CD route anymore are you suggesting a new dac such as the Rega? And when you say DB1i's you mean you have not heard the leema with the GB's or it sounded better with the DB's? I know you seem to be a big fan of Totem and I would love to give them a shot but seems the easiest place I will find them nearby is in Singapore not Australia...not sure if willing to do that. I am quite sensitive to ear fatigue and thats what I am scared to move away from the Dynaudio sound.... but to upgrade the amp and the speakers to better run the dyns is not sensible to me. I picked up the Leema as you probably know for half the retail price here, not willing to give away that bargain yet!

ABM78 said:
Your always helpful Plastic Penguin :) But just to clarify... I really don't want to go down the CD route anymore are you suggesting a new dac such as the Rega? And when you say DB1i's you mean you have not heard the leema with the GB's or it sounded better with the DB's? I know you seem to be a big fan of Totem and I would love to give them a shot but seems the easiest place I will find them nearby is in Singapore not Australia...not sure if willing to do that. I am quite sensitive to ear fatigue and thats what I am scared to move away from the Dynaudio sound.... but to upgrade the amp and the speakers to better run the dyns is not sensible to me. I picked up the Leema as you probably know for half the retail price here, not willing to give away that bargain yet!

Sorry, just to clarify.

Not heard the GB1is but because the DB1s are fabulous (GBs are the floorstander version) I would not have problem in wholeheartedly recommending these. However, the reason for recommending the source A) Your speakers are very capable and ideal for the Pulse B) your current CDP is of similar quality to my Arcam and the Pulse really will sing with much better source C) Because you're sensitive to fatigue, the Dyns seem ideal but to upgrade the speakers better Dyns, you MAY not hear a significant difference because you're already stretching the source to its limit, hence why mentioned the Totems (again ;) ) - they are tonally closer to the Dyns.

Okay if not looking to buy another CDP, look at Rega Dac and play it thru your Nad - or use the Nad as transport via coax digital cable. Alternatively, for a streamer look at Linn Sneaky. Heard it very, very briefly and sounded good. Like Arcam, Nad and Dyns there's no brightness.

I personally would avoid brands such as Naim, Audiolab, Cyrus as these could initiate fatigue with the Leema.

Just a suggestion: I did hear, last year, in fact, some Dynudio Contour S1.4 lashed to a Naim XS amp and my CD73. Very impressive indeed. However, they are very big standmounters, immensely deep. Certainly if I had room for a pair they would be a serious consideration.

Can't help thinking, though, you'll benefit more from a source change.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
thanks Plastic Penguin...pushing the budget but I will strongly consider, they read beautifully, and with my PV1d prob will be fine together, really appreciate your ongoing thought. they are about 2600 pound here. Might have to try find a seller next time I go down south for a holiday!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Darryn,

Those happen to be my two favorite brands. I've not heard the GB1i, but I have owned the little DB1i and the floorstanding OB1i and they were both fantastic performers. The PMCs are slightly more lively than Dynaudio speakers. However, the new Focus 160 is more open than the last generation Focus speakers. Dynaudio took a step forward IMO with the Focus 160. I think it's exceptional.

I've also owed the X12s that you currently have and they are excellent speakers, but the Focus 160 is in a different league. It would be a major step up. I don't think you can go wrong with either the PMC or the Dynaudio, however, since you currently love your X12s, I suggest sticking with Dynaudio and going for the Focus 160. I can't imagine you not being thrilled with them.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Jaxwired, I think thats what I probably will do, just waiting for a property settlement to go through in the coming 4-6 weeks and thats what I plan to treat myself with :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts