PMC 26 v ATC SCM 40

jjbomber

Kubs said:
Evening,

Has anyone experienced a comparison between these 2 speakers?

Or, is it an unfair comparison due to price range?

Cheers,

I was in Audio-t in Swansea this afternoon and they have the PMCs on offer at the moment. Down to £4,750. Get in quick before Gel tells everyone!

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up jjbomber ..... I'd like to hear the opinions of people who own either speaker and better still, a comparison between the two....

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cno - as always, a good shout .... You've heard the ref 1's ... Will they give me the slam I'm after .... The ls50s are great but they tend to round off leading notes and as a result lose a bit of bite and attack I'm after (IMO). Or maybe it's the amp?!? Also can the ref 1 compete with a floor stand ...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi Cno - as always, a good shout .... You've heard the ref 1's ... Will they give me the slam I'm after .... The ls50s are great but they tend to round off leading notes and as a result lose a bit of bite and attack I'm after (IMO). Or maybe it's the amp?!? Also can the ref 1 compete with a floor stand ...
The Reference 1s certainly don't lack bite, but your suggestion that the amp may be the issue is a possibility, although with the LS50 being a relatively budget speaker, they won't be perfect. Between the PMC, ATC, and KEF models, it'll come down to which one is more friendly to your amplifier, and which speaker your amplifier is more at ease with.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The Ref 1s have the scale and impact that makes them sound more like Floorstanders. Your amp is revealing and mixes refinement with brute force. Its 500W is more than enough power to drive the Refs....but only you can decide if you like the synergy.

The LS50s are brilliant, but the Ref 1s are in a totally different league...but.....if going this route, I would be looking at upgrading your Source at sometime in the future.

In order to get a feel for what your amp and the Ref 1s are really capable of, try to get a demo with something like an Akurate DS as a Source.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Cubs I have the mk1 ATC SCM 40s in my set up and I know the new SCM 40s are better , my SCMs are awsome with punchy deep bass not sure what sort of music you like I love Rock, Metle, Blues, Prog Rock, I have been known to blow the house down with Kasabian, the bass is fluid not stodgy do you live anywhere near Norwich you could always bring some CDs and have a listen to my set up

toyota man said:
Hi Cubs I have the mk1 ATC SCM 40s in my set up and I know the new SCM 40s are better , my SCMs are awsome with punchy deep bass not sure what sort of music you like I love Rock, Metle, Blues, Prog Rock, I have been known to blow the house down with Kasabian, the bass is fluid not stodgy

Hi toyota man

+1
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi cno - I see you have recommended the Linn on previous posts (must have left an impression on you). How would you describe the sound signature of Linn?

Just had a quick look on line at the DS ... its expensive! :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks PP for the MA option - I'll take a look (trouble is, there doesnt seem to be a dealer close to me - South London, Zone 5 - that stocks all the speaker brands I want to audition. So it means arranging a number of demos at different dealers and I awlays end up feeling bad if I dont buy something after an audition especially after spending a few hours with them).

Do you think the R700 would be a step up?

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Toyota Man - we have a similar system (well, amp and speaker cable). What did you have before the ATC's and why did you change?

I enjoy all types of music - I'm going through a phase of buying second hand CD's at random and burning them onto my NAS drive - when I sit down to a listening session I hit the random button and listen to whatever comes up making sure I listen to the entire song without skipping.

Thank you for you offer, that is very kind - if I lived closer I would take you up but I'm in south London.

What is your experience / impression of using Chord XLRs?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi cno - I see you have recommended the Linn on previous posts (must have left an impression on you). How would you describe the sound signature of Linn?

Just had a quick look on line at the DS ... its expensive! :)

IMO. The Linn DS sounds detailed, musical, natural and organic.....more "analogue", if you like. As someone who owned a Linn TT for years, I don't like an upfront, analytical sound...which is why I don't get on with Chord.

I only mentioned the ADS as it is of a similar price bracket and would really show you what is achievable. I have a Majik DS, which is half the price and still very good indeed (with MF AMS 35i / Ref 205/2)....and even the Sneaky is no slouch.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a pair of Mission 752s (not freedoms) they had a tripple front firing port and are still going strong in my Sons system,the SCMs are not ported and work well close to the wall and deliver a truly awesome Bass,the Coard XLRs are very good better in my opinion that the Chord phono leads, I have just started to Listen to Rory Gallagher I would recommend you listen to an Album called Jinx , track 1 Big Guns, Track 5 Signals listen to the lead guitar getting an awesome bass underpinning it will blow your head off in the biggest bass fix you ever had, Also listen to Top Priority tracks 1,2,and3

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I reviewed ATC SCM50 vs PMC fact8 in the past. But it's not exactly the speaker you want some advice on.

But really. Seriously. We can't give you any advice. If somebody has a bit of a clue of audio, he will not give you any advice at all for those two speakers. It's absolutely important that you book your plane ticket or fix the front tire of your Ducati, and go listen to those speaker by yourself.

Because I have friends that like blonde, russian womens, and other like asian womens. Some don't look on the appearance and choose happy and smiling womens. Speakers are the same as womens (yes, with "s") you want to marry with. They will fit to YOU, and only YOU. Whatever advice we could give, would only be the correlation of our listening tastes added to basical errors every amateur reviewer will make.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
I reviewed ATC SCM50 vs PMC fact8 in the past. But it's not exactly the speaker you want some advice on.

But really. Seriously. We can't give you any advice. If somebody has a bit of a clue of audio, he will not give you any advice at all for those two speakers. It's absolutely important that you book your plane ticket or fix the front tire of your Ducati, and go listen to those speaker by yourself.

Because I have friends that like blonde, russian womens, and other like asian womens. Some don't look on the appearance and choose happy and smiling womens. Speakers are the same as womens (yes, with "s") you want to marry with. They will fit to YOU, and only YOU. Whatever advice we could give, would only be the correlation of our listening tastes added to basical errors every amateur reviewer will make.

Nobody is telling Kubs what to buy, only making suggestions and observations on speakers (much as you do when reviewing), that he might be interested in.

I very much doubt that the OP is going to buy such expensive speakers purely based on what he reads on here....but is gathering info before testing. Quite sensible, imo. Given his kit, he is hardly a Newbie.

If people should avoid reading anything before testing, there would be no need for Hifi Forums....or professional reviewers.

A few thoughts, having heard both, but not in direct comparison and a couple of years apart.

They are both more detailed and analytical than your LS50s, of which I'm a big fan. I think their compromises are musical ones, which are easy to tolerate. I agree with those who suggest also looking at higher end KEF. Ref 1s sound much bigger than they have any right to; possibly even than the PMCs.

Of the two, the ATC is more analytical, and would require a better standard of amplifier to get the best from it. Though both PMC and ATC are studio orientated, ATC is closer to what I'd call studio sound. The twenty 26 is more living room friendly to my eyes, and should tolerate slightly more compromised positioning.

If I were wanting a very good set up, with say a decent Naim streaming system, I know the PMCs would do the job. If I wanted to review recordings for a living, I might choose the ATC knowing it wouldn't make mediocre recordings sound good.

I hope this gives you a few subjective pointers. Interested in others views.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi NSA - thanks for your view and analogy but CNO has 'taken the words out of mouth'. It's not just limited to hi fi, I'm actually interested in peoples view across abroad range of topics ....

Fear not, I will of course demo and make up my own mind.

Cheers,

PS - I have a BMW (car) :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi nopiano - thanks for sharing! I assume you are refering to the latest version of the ATC SCM 40? I'm not after an analytical sound just something that is more attacking than the ls50s.

I see you have Sonus Faber's (which one) ... lovely looking speakers in general, never had the pleasure of hearing them.

Kubs said:
Thanks PP for the MA option - I'll take a look (trouble is, there doesnt seem to be a dealer close to me - South London, Zone 5 - that stocks all the speaker brands I want to audition. So it means arranging a number of demos at different dealers and I awlays end up feeling bad if I dont buy something after an audition especially after spending a few hours with them).

Do you think the R700 would be a step up?

My local Sevenoaks Sound and Vision (Epsom branch) does. He sells the nearly the whole MA range. Most SSAV stores are franchised but it's worth checking out the nearest one to you.

Kubs said:
Hi nopiano - thanks for sharing! I assume you are refering to the latest version of the ATC SCM 40? I'm not after an analytical sound just something that is more attacking than the ls50s.

I see you have Sonus Faber's (which one) ... lovely looking speakers in general, never had the pleasure of hearing them.
I think so; they had a rounded back, if that denotes them. My sf are Concerto Grand Pianos, on marble plinths. There's a picture somewhere in the My System section. They were the original model with an ABR; later models were ported. Less than three grand (in GBP) with the plinths in 1998 I think. Review below:-

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/269/#oo5XoY6QE1HqlWIV.97

The Olympica 1 is in your budget. Now you're talking!

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFiles%5Chi-fi%20news_Olympica%20I%20review_032015.pdf

nopiano said:
Kubs said:

I think so; they had a rounded back, if that denotes them. My sf are Concerto Grand Pianos, on marble plinths. There's a picture somewhere in the My System section. They were the original model with an ABR; later models were ported. Less than three grand (in GBP) with the plinths in 1998 I think. Review below:-

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/269/#oo5XoY6QE1HqlWIV.97

The Olympica 1 is in your budget. Now you're talking!

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFiles%5Chi-fi%20news_Olympica%20I%20re...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Only last week I listened to the ATC SCM 40 speakers driven by an Acram A49 amp. From the word go it reminded me of studio monitors. Very clean sounding & totally boom free bass. The first few mins sounded strange cause seems as if deep notes were missing from the music. The Atc is an enclosed speaker design & it shows in the way it plays bass. The sound can be bit shouty & forward with certain types of music. This is a type of speaker for those looking for detail over refinement.

One thing you can be certain of with the ATC'S you will never hear bass boom of any kind.

Never heard the PMC 26's so cannot comment on them. Only once listens to the PMC 24 & they of similar sound balance of the ATC speakers. Less forward mid but just as raw sounding. Hope gives you a little insight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts