JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello Forum!

I'm having a difficult time choosing between the Marantz PM8006 (~$1500) and the Audiolab 8300a (~$1700)to replace my Marantz PM6006.

I've got the Marantz NA6006 Network Streamer as the companion to my PM6006 which I am very impressed by. Speakers are the Triangle BOREA BR03, which are very warm in sound with the PM6006 and my thought would be that the more neutral 8300a might be a better match than the Marantz? Or are there any other ALL analouge amplifiers, preferable neutral sounding, to use in this combination? Have had my eyes a little on the Musical Fidelity MS2i (~$1200) also, which is in the same price region, but I don't know about that one yet.

The main thing I'm looking for is a high current integrated amp with around 70-100W (in 8ohms) or power.

Any takers, on advice?
(I have not auditioned any of the amps. Covid-19 has made some products rather inaccessible in my home town...)

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 111PM8006B_1.jpg
    111PM8006B_1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
  • AMUFIM2SIB.jpg
    AMUFIM2SIB.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1
  • audiolab-8300a-integrated-amplifier-15183462629439_1024x1024.png
    audiolab-8300a-integrated-amplifier-15183462629439_1024x1024.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 1
D

Deleted member 108165

Not what you want to hear, but only your ears will be able to tell you which will amp suit you best. My advice would be to wait until you can audition the amps. You could jump in blind and be perfectly happy with your choice... or the complete opposite.

Others may be along soon with opinions and guidance.

Reactions: JoelOman

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Is it just that the setup now sounds too warm with the marantz Borea speaker combo? Is there more (not enough power/details etc. My feelings are that the more expensive marantz will just be fuller, a bit deeper but overall sound similar

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Not what you want to hear, but only your ears will be able to tell you which will amp suit you best. My advice would be to wait until you can audition the amps. You could jump in blind and be perfectly happy with your choice... or the complete opposite.

Others may be along soon with opinions and guidance.
Well, yeah, that is kinda the issue with living in a small town... Plus the pandemic means no one carries things in stock/hard to come by... Thanks anyway! ;)

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Is it just that the setup now sounds too warm with the marantz Borea speaker combo? Is there more (not enough power/details etc. My feelings are that the more expensive marantz will just be fuller, a bit deeper but overall sound similar
It's actually not too warm, but I get the feeling of introducing a "cooler" amp will benefit the overall listening pleasure. I'm looking to have a bit fuller sound when playing on low volumes and also some tighter bass when listening at higher volumes 'cause the BR03s are quite bass heavy for being bookshelfs...

Hello Forum!

I'm having a difficult time choosing between the Marantz PM8006 (~$1500) and the Audiolab 8300a (~$1700)to replace my Marantz PM6006.

I've got the Marantz NA6006 Network Streamer as the companion to my PM6006 which I am very impressed by. Speakers are the Triangle BOREA BR03, which are very warm in sound with the PM6006 and my thought would be that the more neutral 8300a might be a better match than the Marantz? Or are there any other ALL analouge amplifiers, preferable neutral sounding, to use in this combination? Have had my eyes a little on the Musical Fidelity MS2i (~$1200) also, which is in the same price region, but I don't know about that one yet.

The main thing I'm looking for is a high current integrated amp with around 70-100W (in 8ohms) or power.

Any takers, on advice?
(I have not auditioned any of the amps. Covid-19 has made some products rather inaccessible in my home town...)

Many thanks in advance!

The only suggestion I can make, given the pandemic, erratic stocks etc etc, is to purchase the Audiolab - not heard the new incarnations but the older ones are very open and should suit the speakers well - and make sure you purchase from reputable dealer that offers a 14-28 days returns.

Nothing wrong with the Marantz but you have to start somewhere.

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
The only suggestion I can make, given the pandemic, erratic stocks etc etc, is to purchase the Audiolab - not heard the new incarnations but the older ones are very open and should suit the speakers well - and make sure you purchase from reputable dealer that offers a 14-28 days returns.

Nothing wrong with the Marantz but you have to start somewhere.
Thanks! Really concrete answer. But, I just noticed that there's another contender. I stumbled into the REGA Elex-R which is actually avaliable for audition in a not-so-far-away store. Might this be of consideration also?

Many thanks to you!

Thanks! Really concrete answer. But, I just noticed that there's another contender. I stumbled into the REGA Elex-R which is actually avaliable for audition in a not-so-far-away store. Might this be of consideration also?

Many thanks to you!
No problem.

Yes, the Rega is well worth a listen. It's the closest I've heard to the Leema Pulse I've owned for over 11 years: Punchy, dynamic and fabulous stereo imaging. The only slight caveat, like the Leema, it doesn't quite have the bass depth of some other brands. It never sounds thin or insubstantial, and the slight shortfall in bass depth is made up with definition. In isolation, though that slight lack isn't noticeable.

depending on whether he can get it within budget in Sweden.....
Good point. Maybe an alternative home grown design? A Primare i15 should be within budget.

Filip

May 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi!!

My name is Filip. I work for a HiFi retailer in the UK for the last 3 years and I have been exposed to a decent amount of amplifiers throughout the last 3 years.
One thing I have learned working with these products is that most of them are full of gimmicks/hype and acronyms and very few brands actually simple, straight forward and actually live up to claims.

One of those companies is Audiolab!
They don't use gimmicks. Compared to the competition, their focus goes to the basic and vital points that make an amplifier great.

How do I know?

Well, I'll just attach some photos I took myself of my own set up, some customers of mine and from work.

But to get to your question... 8300A is worth the investment. It is a fully analogue power house. As a user mentioned in the replies, Audiolab used to be very open, wih plenty of power at hand, not to mention detailed and most speakers I hooked up with it, the amplifier almost acted like a pedestal essentially supporting and highlighting all the great things they had to offer.

The 8300A is indeed far more neutral but not laid back or lackluster. It has a very wide presentation, with no emphasis on bass mids and treble. I call it "an honest amplifier" and it's so honest that sometimes it might give away shitty recordings.

I persoanlly own a 6000A and I am in the process of going for 2x 8300MB (MONO BLOCKS POWER AMPS) and then use the 6000A as a pre-amp.

Another function that can be very handy later on which I have tested on the 8300A is its PRE-POWER mode. I perfonally tried it with 8300CDQ.
Absolutely suuuperb. ♥IMG_20210427_171149__01.jpgFB_IMG_1583707046495_01__01.jpgIMG_20210102_135745__01.jpgFB_IMG_1583664732360_01__01.jpg

Reactions: insider9 and RoA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts