How good is the Audiolab 6000A

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Having just switched my amplifier again here is why the 6000A is such a good amplifier (for some) and imho and no, I don't work for the company :);

It is NEUTRAL (but not boring), a word far too much used without reason. Only the Hegel has a similar (but not same) sound. This means it will show exactly what is down and upstream in the chain. Because of this it will scale better with upgrades than some others. It has real space between performers and instruments and draws a nicely holographic soundstage. Its also dynamic beyond its rating and does not change its sound signature at different volume. Detail is not the best but very good. An advantage because of this is there is smoothness to sound which some Amplifiers, including the bigger brother, the 8300A does not have. Bass is very good.

This will pair with warm and bright, forward and reticent speakers. Whilst it may not always bring the very best out of either of those (a neutral speaker will do that) as some careful amplifier matching will do it will also not cause ear ache with any of those and will be a good companion for upgrades down the line. Something some more charismatic amplifiers may not do.

Like I said many times ... a taste of High End at shoe string cost. Almost.

https://hifitrends.com/2019/07/04/a...-review-class-leading-sound-and-construction/

I read like a broken record but credit where credit is due :)

Last edited:
Reactions: manicm

robdmarsh

Having just switched my amplifier again here is why the 6000A is such a good amplifier (for some) and imho and no, I don't work for the company :);

It is NEUTRAL (but not boring), a word far too much used without reason. Only the Hegel has a similar (but not same) sound. This means it will show exactly what is down and upstream in the chain. Because of this it will scale better with upgrades than some others. It has real space between performers and instruments and draws a nicely holographic soundstage. Its also dynamic beyond its rating and does not change its sound signature at different volume. Detail is not the best but very good. An advantage because of this is there is smoothness to sound which some Amplifiers, including the bigger brother, the 8300A does not have. Bass is very good.

This will pair with warm and bright, forward and reticent speakers. Whilst it may not always bring the very best out of either of those (a neutral speaker will do that) as some careful amplifier matching will do it will also not cause ear ache with any of those and will be a good companion for upgrades down the line. Something some more charismatic amplifiers may not do.

https://hifitrends.com/2019/07/04/a...-review-class-leading-sound-and-construction/

You almost make want to give it another go, wondering if my ears needed cleaning out when I had it. :unsure:
But no, I think I remember when listening to it, I know what it's trying to do, get out of the way of what the source is giving it and all that other High end good stuff. But it never charmed or drew me into the music, it somehow seemed a bit matter of fact. I am sure it measures very well too. I think it probably is a very well-designed amp and a serious value for money proposition but I am not its target audience. One day maybe I'll hear it with speakers that make it sing and I'll take it all back.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Dom

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site

Is anyone using it with Monitor Audio Silver 100 or Bronze 100 ?

Your feedback pls !!

matthewpianist

Is anyone using it with Monitor Audio Silver 100 or Bronze 100 ?

Your feedback pls !!

I tried Silver 100s with a range of amps, thought not the Audiolab.

Although beautifully made, and a definite step-up in quality over the Bronze range, I found them boomy and hazy sounding irrespective of the amplifier pairing and of how I positioned them in my room. Not speakers I would return to, though they may be different with your amplification and in your room.

Reactions: SiR

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Depends what kinda sound you like. I have listened to the 200 & 300 series this year but never heard the 100. My impressions were of tight bass, a very clear mid range with really quite astonishing projection/stage and nice treble. They are not lean but also not the fullest or warmest sounding speakers. Fast, lovely and fun imho.

These I heard with a Roksan Attessa and I was impressed. I would expect the Audiolab to be pretty much true to the speaker characteristics and making the most of their bass and imaging whilst not adding any brightness 50 watts are plenty with those.

I have no idea how the 100's compare.

Ps. This was from my visit to Stylesound Barcelona and the listen to the above

Video-Capture-20220328-174644.jpg

... and here is a little slide show I did

View: https://youtu.be/3OyCFdbt7G0

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS