PM8005 for Sonus Faber Olympica I ?

iamsilvermember

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I am going to purchase the Sonus Faber Olympica I. It seems like it's not the easiest speaker to drive.

I am wondering would the Marantz PM8005 be able to drive it properly?

How much power do I need? What amp in the $1000 - $2000 USD price range can do the job?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
iamsilvermember said:
I am going to purchase the Sonus Faber Olympica I. It seems like it's not the easiest speaker to drive.

I am wondering would the Marantz PM8005 be able to drive it properly?

How much power do I need? What amp in the $1000 - $2000 USD price range can do the job?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

To ask is why you would choose to spend such a large sum on extremely capable but demanding loudspeakers yet a rather modest sum on an amplifier?

The match is not a natural one, it may sound OK but you will not be getting the best from either product.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why are you picking those speakers?

It's about getting the best combination for your budget.

Best to audition those speakers with the 8005 and others and try more expensive amps as well.

I broadly agree with the advice above. Ordinarily, I too would see this as a mismatch, with the amp the weak link. However, far from being tricky to drive as some sonus fabers are, this one seems to be an exception (along with the newest Verere S floorstanders).

In the technical review here (link below), the minimum impedance is around 4ohms which should be no problem for the amp. A better match in quaility/price might nevertheless be a Venere 2 stand mounted speaker, unless the 8005 is a temporary situation, and you are looking for a classier model in future.

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFiles%5Chi-fi%20news_Olympica%20I%20review_032015.pdf

Welcome to the forum.

nopiano said:
I broadly agree with the advice above. Ordinarily, I too would see this as a mismatch, with the amp the weak link. However, far from being tricky to drive as some sonus fabers are, this one seems to be an exception (along with the newest Verere S floorstanders).

In the technical review here (link below), the minimum impedance is around 4ohms which should be no problem for the amp. A better match in quaility/price might nevertheless be a Venere 2 stand mounted speaker, unless the 8005 is a temporary situation, and you are looking for a classier model in future.

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFiles%5Chi-fi%20news_Olympica%20I%20re...

Welcome to the forum.

gasolin said:
That sounds crazy

I guess for that kind of speaker you ned atleast a Hegel H300 or something better
Funnily enough I just checked the Hegel 160 USD price but it seems to be about $3500 so even that's too much. I'd be tempted to find a used harman/kardon HK990 (with the fancy features turned off) or similar until I'd saved up.

gasolin

buy cheaper speakers better more expensive amp

Love my Marantz PM8005 but i would never use them with such expensive speakers

Over 10000€ her in europe for a pair

Mabye som used krell, mark levinson or something like the 200 watt Rotel RA-1592

iamsilvermember

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for the reply!

In fact, there was a story behind. I am a newbie and did all the research and bought the Marantz SA8005 along with PM8005. My plan was to buy either the B&W CM6 S2 and I decide to audit it before getting it.

Sure the CM6S2 sounded nice, very accurate and full of details (I am a sucker for details). But then I noticed the Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 is at the same price so I decide to try it out. Venere 2.0 is definitely less detail, but warmer. The CM6S2 makes the music sounded like I was in the recording room with all the details I wanted (a bit too intense though), but Venere 2.0 makes me feel like in an open space and less fatiguing to listen to.

While I make is clear to the sale my budget is only enough for these 2 speaker, he showed me the Olympica 1. From the price point, not surprisingly because it really is (actually surpass) the best of both world, it has all the detail in CM6S2 and the spacious and warm feeling from the Venere 2.0.

What changed everything though, is that the sales told me that they have an excellent condition openbox for a ridiculous price. Sure enough, I cannot resist the deal even I know my budget will not allow me get an amp that unlock all the speaker’s potential. I guess this will leave me sometime to desired for in the future.

Anyway, for now I still need to complete the system with a limited budget for the amp. So if I understand everyone correctly, I would conclude as,

1) I will not be able to fully appreciate the speaker with PM8005,

2) That being said, it’s not like I will not be able to enjoy some good music?

Any better choice of amp at similar price point to PM8005?

gasolin

It's not as if the Marantz PM8005 is a bad amp, i have one, it looks (looks better irl then on a picture) and sounds good with alot of power to control most speakers down to 4 ohm.

If it sounds good it sounds good, who cares what the price is, it just in price it seems to big of a difference (even when it sounds good), the KEF LS50 and ATC SCM11 is much cheaper and 2015 best buy speaker, in turns of price much better.

The amp has a preout and why it doesn't have metalt brackets like nad amps (c326bee or bigger) i don't know, but im 99% shure its to use with a poweramp, mabye even for biamping (you have to check the manual for that to see if bi amping is possible) then you can buy it and when you have the money buy a bigger,better power amp, mabye biamping

gasolin

CnoEvil said:
The good news, is that you have a wonderful pair of speakers. The difficulty you have is how to fulfil their potential. FWIW. Here is my advice:

- Ultimately, you are looking at Amps in the £2500 - £4000 (New) - You also looking at a Source in the £1000 - £2000+ (New) - Take your time and investigate the brands of Amp which you like driving the SFs - When you have come up with your ideal system, then come with a plot as to how to achieve it. Don't waste money on a halfway house, box shifting route. Buy once; buy right. - Like you did with the SFs, look out for ex-dem/open box/ used, from a dealer...like I said, there is no rush.

On the Source front, I would recommend the Linn Sneaky/Majik DS....but other options are available.

Amps brands you might consider would be Arcam, Pathos, Electrocompaniet, Ayre, Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Luxman, Accuphase.

So what I'm saying, is stick with what you've got until you can do justice to the speakers....starting with a decent amp....all the while, do a lot of listening

1000-2000$ is 770-1540£ not 2500-4000£

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:

1000-2000$ is 770-1540£ not 2500-4000£
I was responding to the OP's query about driving his £4k SFs with an amp that costs 6x less.

Your system looks balanced in terms of Amp/Speaker cost range.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The good news, is that you have a wonderful pair of speakers. The difficulty you have is how to fulfil their potential. FWIW. Here is my advice:

- Ultimately, you are looking at Amps in the £2500 - £4000 (New)
- You also looking at a Source in the £1000 - £2000+ (New)
- Take your time and investigate the brands of Amp which you like driving the SFs
- When you have come up with your ideal system, then come with a plot as to how to achieve it. Don't waste money on a halfway house, box shifting route. Buy once; buy right.
- Like you did with the SFs, look out for ex-dem/open box/ used, from a dealer...like I said, there is no rush.

On the Source front, I would recommend the Linn Sneaky/Majik DS....but other options are available.

Amp brands you might consider would be Arcam, Pathos, Electrocompaniet, Ayre, Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Luxman, Accuphase.

So what I'm saying, is stick with what you've got until you can do justice to the speakers....starting with a decent amp....all the while, do a lot of listening

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

- Ultimately, you are looking at Amps in the £2500 - £4000 (New) - You also looking at a Source in the £1000 - £2000+ (New) - Take your time and investigate the brands of Amp which you like driving the SFs - When you have come up with your ideal system, then come with a plot as to how to achieve it. Don't waste money on a halfway house, box shifting route. Buy once; buy right. - Like you did with the SFs, look out for ex-dem/open box/ used, from a dealer...like I said, there is no rush.

Amp brands you might consider would be Arcam, Pathos, Electrocompaniet, Ayre, Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Luxman, Accuphase.

This is very good advice. I've heard the Olympica I with quite a few Amps including a Devialet 200 and it sounds superb (but then, most Sonus Faber speakers at this level and up, are quite brilliant IMO).

I have found that some SF's also work very well with Valve Amps, although on paper, they're not supposed to.

There are those that will tell you that any old Amp will do, but my ears tell me that this is nonsense.

iamsilvermember

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I guess this is exactly what I need to know!

Although the PM8005 (nor any amp in this price) cannot show the full potential of the Olympica 1, I assume the sound I get from current setup (SA8005->PM8005->Olympica 1) won't be much worse compare to CM6 S2 or Venere 2.0. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

So for now that should be fine because I am already quite a bit over budget.

Honestly, I am already eyeing the Mcintosh MC152 or MC302... They are expensive but gorgeous and sound like heaven!! One day I will get them!

Once again, appreciate all the feedback guys. But I am open to more opinion/criticism on the system, what sound to expect out of it, and what should be the long term plan!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts