PM7001 or CA 640A V2 ?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Speaker is RS6 and one more question, both 640 v2 and 7001 are 75 wpc, but why in cambridge the volume had to be raised to 12 o'clock for decent volume, and why in 7001 even at 9 o'clock its too much volume ?, actually i bought last week 640A V2, but now after a demo with RS6 with 7001, am thinking, my goodness, have i done a terrible mistake in buying CA 640A V2. pls suggest. thanx.

John Duncan

Ignore the volume issue, your nine o'clock could be my one o'clock. Why do you think the 7001 is better - I mean I do, but I don't count here? Have you had it home so can compare apples with apples?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes

Sorry to be blunt but i dont think C/A goes well with Monitor Audio at all. The sound is too clinical and non-hifi...

If i were you i'd try and go for a good 2nd hand Arcam A85 integrated with an P85 power amp (if your budget allows) or go for the Creek Evo integrated or a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity / Cyrus integrated amp. Ebay has all of the mentioned currently and some at really good prices.

The M/A RS6 speakers are superb and deserve good amps and sources to match them. My Arcam Alpha 9 set-up sounds fantastic and it'd take alot of £££ for me to replace with better seperates. There are some good examples of the Arcam Alpha 9 and 10 amps on Ebay currently as well!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Does it matter how much you have to turn it up? Surely the sound is the most important thing? I have the 840v1 (120wpc)and at 12 O'clock it's not as loud as my old Creek Evo (85wpc). However, I don't need to turn it up any louder. It sounds great and I'm sure it's a case of the CA's continue to steadily increase in volume and your Marantz and my old Creek might tail off a bit.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The C/A 840 amp is chalk and cheese compare to the 640 but the over-all C/A sound isnt pleasing to me.

But, as ive always said, everyones hearing is different, more so than the music tastes etc...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vinod_david"]Speaker is RS6 and one more question, both 640 v2 and 7001 are 75 wpc, but why in cambridge the volume had to be raised to 12 o'clock for decent volume, and why in 7001 even at 9 o'clock its too much volume ?, actually i bought last week 640A V2, but now after a demo with RS6 with 7001, am thinking, my goodness, have i done a terrible mistake in buying CA 640A V2. pls suggest. thanx.[/quote]

Out of interest then, what happens when you turn them up higher than 12 and 9 o'clock respectively? Does the 7001 go louder than the 640 without clipping?

The reason I ask is that I have a 540A V2. When I turn mine up past 12 (to get what I think is a decent loud volume), the red light will be flashing by 1 o'clock - I find this with older recordings which seem to have lower levels.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I'll drink to that. One thing we all agree is that the RS6s are great![/quote]

Theyre bloody brilliant!!!

I've always been a massive fan of B&W speakers as they suit my music tastes down to a tee and never really though for the price that the M/A's would have beat them.

Against the B&W 684's the M/As were all over them. They just won outright which surprised me BUT i'm not a fan of the 2 identical drivers on the 684's. I think they should have kept it to how the 603 series were. One Kevlar driver and the other paper etc...

I've been abusing Amazon all weekend to boost my CD collection so cant wait to get home and start listening. The sound is improving all the time even more so with my Arcam Alpha 9P power amp back in play!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Yes

Sorry to be blunt but i dont think C/A goes well with Monitor Audio at all. The sound is too clinical and non-hifi...
If i were you i'd try and go for a good 2nd hand Arcam A85 integrated with an P85 power amp (if your budget allows) or go for the Creek Evo integrated or a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity / Cyrus integrated amp. Ebay has all of the mentioned currently and some at really good prices.
The M/A RS6 speakers are superb and deserve good amps and sources to match them. My Arcam Alpha 9 set-up sounds fantastic and it'd take alot of £££ for me to replace with better seperates. There are some good examples of the Arcam Alpha 9 and 10 amps on Ebay currently as well!
[/quote]

Dan. actually, am in different part of world mate, so Arcam and Creek are out of my reach in terms of cost. so my 640A V2 is good for nothing for RS6 then. how aboud PM7001 for RS6. thanx

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't say it's in the same league as the PM7001. The PM7001 is a decent step up from the PM6002, and the Marantz 6002 won in the recent test conducted by What Hifi where it was pitted against the Rotel.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't say it's in the same league as the PM7001. The PM7001 is a decent step up from the PM6002, and the Marantz 6002 won in the recent test conducted by What Hifi where it was pitted against the Rotel.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more. IMO the RA-04 destroys the PM7001. I owned the PM7001 and when I got the RA-04 I couldn't believe how much better it sounded. The Marantz is a slow and dull amp IMO.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm not a fan of any Marantz seperates sorry

I'd deffo go for the Rotel RA-04, cracking amp. NAD are always worth looking at too! The C320BEE is still a brilliant amp and will drive the RS6's well. The C352 amp would be a better choice but it all depends on what you can get!

Where are you in the world?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
So, does it mean that 640A V2 can't drive the RS6 at all, or the musicality won't be there? i just bought the 640 amp, so can't replace or buy a new one, its very expensive here. any good things about 640 v2 amp ? pls.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vinod_david"]So, does it mean that 640A V2 can't drive the RS6 at all, or the musicality won't be there? i just bought the 640 amp, so can't replace or buy a new one, its very expensive here. any good things about 640 v2 amp ? pls.[/quote]

You bought it and can't replace it. So, better to live with it. Enjoy the sound you get. Being in India there were other options. How much did you pay for the 640A?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"][quote user="vinod_david"]So, does it mean that 640A V2 can't drive the RS6 at all, or the musicality won't be there? i just bought the 640 amp, so can't replace or buy a new one, its very expensive here. any good things about 640 v2 amp ? pls.[/quote] You bought it and can't replace it. So, better to live with it. Enjoy the sound you get. Being in India there were other options. How much did you pay for the 640A?[/quote]

what other options for me if i sell 640 v2 amp, paid around 23k INR. pls suggest. thanx.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vinod_david"]what other options for me if i sell 640 v2 amp, paid around 23k INR. pls suggest. thanx.[/quote]

I'd prefer a Marantz or a Rotel over the CA any day. You could also look at some Onkyos and NADs. There are several that will beat the CA on sound per pound (to my ears). Also, if you don't suffer with made in India syndrome, Sonodyne. Excellent amps!
Back to other options, a Rotel or a Marantz is what you may get, but that would mean losing some money.

TRENDING THREADS