The B&W 685, Partington Super Dreadnoughts & amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post here!

Yes I know there are a few threads already on this same subject and I have read them all, but I don't think they have quite got to the bottom of it yet (unlike this thread will) 

I have a lot to say, so I will try to keep this concise!

SO, I have my heart set on the equipment in the title, I have listened to them in my local Sevenoaks Sound and Vision shop.

I came to the shop with a list of amps that I was interested in:

- Marantz PM6002 (45 wpc) 

- Rotel RA-04 (40 wpc)

- NAD 325BEE (50 wpc)

- Cambridge Audio 540A V2 (60 wpc)

- Cambridge Audio 640A V2 (75 wpc) 

The only one they had in stock was the Marantz PM6002. I listened to it using my iPod (as that's what I will use at home), with high bitrate music. I thought it sounded very good (after switching the stands to the above), and then I found the loudness button on the amp, and it sounded GREAT! A question at this point, what exactly does the 'loudness' button do? And, why don't many amps have one?!

Anyway I tried to get Richer sounds (directly opposite the store), to allow me to test the other amps with the 685s in Sevenoaks (they had ALL of the amps in stock (except the Rotel)). They said no. 

My budget is £300 for an amp, so things like the Roksan Kandi K2 are WAY out of the question. I listen to all sorts, some examples of artists: Aphex Twin, Queens of the Stonage, Tupac, Chemical Brothers, some genres: Electronica, Rap, Drum & Bass, Rock, Classical, also some solo singers too.

I liked the sound of the PM6002, but I thought that the bass could have been a lot tighter, and their could have been a bit more power to drive the speakers, other than that it was fine. I have heard a lot of good about he Rotel amp, (and a little bit of bad too), I tried to get it in to listen to but they said that there were none in the company at all! TBH, I think as it's the lowest power one, I might not go for it anyway.

So, really which amp do you suggest? Other options that aren't listed may deserve discussion also (like the new Marantz amps). What are peoples thoughts on the Cambridge Audio's with the 685s? The higher power rating is certainly tempting, `nd I think they look great too...

I also have a DAB300 & 540C CD (both Cambridge Audio), but wouldn't use them often, so the main source will be iPod classic or Macbook Pro.

Any help will be much apprecieated!

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hi, i bought my first ever seperates set-up the other day and i'm runnung b&w 685's with an arcam FMJ cd17 with a rega brio3, rest of the sytsem is qed interconnects with silverscreen speaker cable. it sounds mighty fine to me. you could do a lot worse than auditioning that combo!

matthewpiano

gooner26:hi, i bought my first ever seperates set-up the other day and i'm runnung b&w 685's with an arcam FMJ cd17 with a rega brio3, rest of the sytsem is qed interconnects with silverscreen speaker cable. it sounds mighty fine to me. you could do a lot worse than auditioning that combo!

Nice set-up and definitely worth an audition, I would agree. I'd also recommend trying to hear the Denon PMA1500AE and DCD1500AE. I spent ages trying lots of different kit around that price point and the Denons were a clear winner for me. Just over a week on, I'm loving them and changing to the MA speakers has revealed even more sonic talent. Biggest issue with the Denons is finding someone who stocks it and can demo it but its worth the effort.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, yes I would like to here the Rega Brio 3, it does look very nice too, but for £330 I wouldn't mind some tone controls and a little more power!ÿThe Denon is way over may budget TBH, it's £300 MAXIMUM.ÿIt does seem to me that this amount of money (which I consider to be a lot), really doesn't buy you much amp in the hi-fi world...ÿÿI can't help thinking, are they ripping us off? I mean look at the price of computing compared... ÿ

matthewpiano

At £300 max for your budget you'll be hard pushed to find a better amp than the NAD C325BEE. Its a little corker and punches significantly above its price point. Plenty of drive, more power than NAD let on, and a very musical sound. It offers exceptional value for money and I reckon there'll be a few deals about on it now as its about to be replaced.

£300 is a lot of money, agreed, but it can buy you a lot of amp in NAD form with quite a bit of change left over.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yep... Fully agree with MP on this one.

I dont think you'll better the NAD C325 at all UNLESS youre happy with 2nd hand quality separates off eBay then take a look for a NAD C352 integrated or an Arcam Alpha 9/10 integrated amp; or if you can find one, an Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp.

All the above mentioned can allow you to bi-amp in the future and IMO; have a much better soundstage and 'tone matching' than the Marantz

A

Anonymous

Cool, I definitely want to hear the NAD 325BEE, though I must say, I think it's the most boring looking amp I've ever seen... almost ugly! Not that that's too important. ÿDo you know what it's going to be replaced with??

Yes I definitely want to buy brand new so I have a warranty.

Any opinions on the Cambridge's? Do they still not last too long? I've a few Cambridge audio products over the years and most went faulty just after the warranty...

One more question: If I want to connect my iPod from a dock (haven't bought a dock yet), what connection do I need to look out for on the amp (which id the best)? Optical? USB? I dont know?ÿ

Thanks for your input :)ÿ

ÿ

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The C/A stuff is ok but has to be partnered with the right separates. IMO C/A does not gel well with B&W speakers at all, too light and a bit clinical. Similar to the Marantz soundstage

I definitly think that you need to demo the NAD C325 integrated amp; yes its a plain jane but its got a gret sound and really kicks when it needs to :)

With the NAD amp i think you can connect your iPod directly to it using the port on the front; if not a normal iPod dock will just connect into the AUX phono inputs (i think)

matthewpiano

Pmaninit:
Cool, I definitely want to hear the NAD 325BEE, though I must say, I think it's the most boring looking amp I've ever seen... almost ugly! Not that that's too important. ÿDo you know what it's going to be replaced with??

Yes I definitely want to buy brand new so I have a warranty.

Any opinions on the Cambridge's? Do they still not last too long? I've a few Cambridge audio products over the years and most went faulty just after the warranty...

One more question: If I want to connect my iPod from a dock (haven't bought a dock yet), what connection do I need to look out for on the amp (which id the best)? Optical? USB? I dont know?ÿ

Thanks for your input :)ÿ

ÿ

The new NAD is the C326BEE. Evolution is the key word at NAD so expect strong similarities to the C325BEE. Looks have always been NAD's weakness but who cares when it sounds that good and offers such strong build for the money.

Cambridge make excellent products and I think their reliability has improved greatly. The ability to buy a 5 year warranty for 10% of the purchase price from Richers is also good. However, they can be quite clinical sounding amps. I've had 540a, 640a, and 740a. The 740a was in a different league altogether but I still ultimately found it clinical and lacking in musicality.

There are plenty of ipod docks aroundd that will plug into any amplifier with standard rca/phono connections. I have an Onkyo one which works very well.

A

Anonymous

That's great info thanks.

So here is an updated list:

-ÿMarantz PM6002 (45 wpc) audition again

- Rotel RA-04 (40 wpc) try to find one to audition

- NAD 325BEE (50 wpc) definately audition (I'll have to buy the speakers and take them across the road to Richer when I have the money)

- Cambridge Audio 540A V2 (60 wpc) might audition at Richer

- Cambridge Audio 640A V2 (75 wpc)ÿmight audition at Richer

- Rega Brio 3 (50 wpc) try to find for audition (but I have heard about it's low frequemcy short falls so possibley not for me)

ÿ

The NAD 325BEE does look promising from where I'm sitting, as long as I like the sound, will Richer Sounds still have this amp in a few weeks do you think? Or will it be replaced sooner (hey maybe I should wait to hear the new 326BEE)!

Thanks again :)ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

The Rotel doesn't match them in my opinion - and it's one of very few amps which don't - it doesn't have the kick or the punch to power the 685s to their potential. The NADs on the other hand, should give them all they need to really sing!

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:The C/A stuff is ok but has to be partnered with the right separates. IMO C/A does not gel well with B&W speakers at all, too light and a bit clinical. Similar to the Marantz soundstage

I definitly think that you need to demo the NAD C325 integrated amp; yes its a plain jane but its got a gret sound and really kicks when it needs to :)

With the NAD amp i think you can connect your iPod directly to it using the port on the front; if not a normal iPod dock will just connect into the AUX phono inputs (i think)

Have to agree withd_a_n1979 on all points here....Have the larger 80 watt c355bee and it really works well with BW685.

A

Anonymous

I read that the 685s are NOT magnetically shielded, so would it be safe to have say an iPod, and an external hard drive above a foot or two away?

And will they mess with my TV? :(ÿ

EDIT:

Not to worry - I downloaded the manual and it said thay don't mess with LCD tvs (good times), but any magnetically sensitive equipment should be at least 50cm away (bad times).

Why don't they just shield them, most speakers are nowadays no?ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I'd just like to say that I went for the NAD C325BEE, and I have never been happier with the sound! And it's extremely powerful, I can honestly say that I am SCARED to go past midnight on the dial!

ÿ

I was just listening to music with my eyes closed and kept forgetting where I was and even to open my eyes again!

ÿ

So so so happy with my system, thanks for everyone's help and advice, and to WHF great reviews on the site.

ÿ

You can view my system below, might upload a pic at some point, but I suppose everyone knows what it looks like anyway!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts