Plugging a Nintendo WII into an AVR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony DH510 AVR for the kids room and they have a WII. Naturally this doesn't have an HDMI lead but the 3 separate yellow, white and red coded (is this component?) conections. The manual only describes plugging in a PS3 (via HDMI). Other items such as video, DVD, cable etc are described and labelled on the back, but no direct clues as to what to plug this console into.

Anyone able to help?

Kind regards

Whitbags

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The yellow white and red are composite, not component, you can purchase a separate lead which will do component and allow a slightly higher resolution to be set on the wii.

A

Anonymous

Hi, to answer your question, no, it's not component it's composite, the red and White RCA are the right and left audio connections and should be connected to the corresponding inputs for the AUX or game console on the back of the AVR.

The yellow is the video, which should be connected to the matching input on the back of the AVR, I.e. If you have put the 2 no red/White connections into say AUX, then use the matching yellow connection.

Just a suggestion, you might want to buy one of wii "component" leads as this will give, what nintendo call EDTV (enhanced definition TV) which is basically a progressive signal.

A

Anonymous

I purchased a component lead from Play: http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/9834493/Wii-HD-Component-Cable/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&searchstring=wii+component+lead&searchtype=WII&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search&strefer=WII&searchfilters=s{wii component lead}+c{362}+c{10066}+ for £3.00 last march; excellent value and still performing well

The play trader i used is the cheapest and at the top of this link

If i've broken any rules apologies in advance

Vance
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello again

I don't yet have a component cable so have been trying to connect the WII with the supplied composite lead in the interim. No joy yet :(

The back looks like this - I have plugged the appropriate leads (Y/W/R) into the video inout and also the SAT/CATV input but without a glimmer of game play. Am I doing something wrong or will I just have to wait until I have a component cable?

Sony_STR-DH510_back.jpg

A

Anonymous

No you have plugged them in correct.

But I assume the only connection you have to your TV is a HDMI? If this is the case you need to check if the 510 up converts composite connections to the HDMI output.

A

Anonymous

markjaspi:No you have plugged them in correct. But I assume the only connection you have to your TV is a HDMI? If this is the case you need to check if the 510 up converts composite connections to the HDMI output.

Oh dear, absolutely correct. Would a component connection overcome this problem?

A

Anonymous

Check page 28 of your user manual regarding connecting a video using the yellow, red and white phonos. Treat the wii as the video and you should get the same results

Vance
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes a component lead would solev the problem, read my previous post regarding the purchase of said lead for less tahn £3.00. I recieved mine in less than a week

Vance

A

Anonymous

Mr Whitbags:
markjaspi:No you have plugged them in correct. But I assume the only connection you have to your TV is a HDMI? If this is the case you need to check if the 510 up converts composite connections to the HDMI output.

Oh dear, absolutely correct. Would a component connection overcome this problem?

Your manual will have a flow diagram showing what signals it will up convert to HDMI, have a look at vance's thread / suggestion, it is likely it will up convert component but not composite.

EDIT: in the meantime you could use use another composite (yellow) lead from the back of the AVR to your TV if it has one.

A

Anonymous

Looking at the specs for the AVR it looks like there is no upconverting unfortunately. You've got 3 options:

1) Connect the wii video connection to the tv and the audio to the AVR. Again, a component cable will improve the picture a little.

2) Run a composite video lead from the monitor out socket into the composite socket on the tv.

3) Connect the wii to the tv, then connect the audio out of the tv to an input on your AVR using a stereo RCA lead or optical (depending on your tv).

Hope this helps. 1st option is the easiest, and cheapest.

A

Anonymous

Tried a component connection without success. Guess the cheap AVR just doesn't cut it.

Getting the kids an XBox which uses HDMI, so I will be able to run that through the AVR.

Oh well, never mind :-(

A

Anonymous

Could you not just connect the component lead direct to the TV and the optical audio to the AVR , at least then you will have the neat picture and sound you can rather than going to the expense of a new xbox

A

Anonymous

I swapped over the kids STR-DH510 with the -810 we had in the lounge. Only have BDP, V+HD box and TV plugged in the lounge, so the -510 is good enough.

Plugged the new X-Box, their Virgin HD, BDP and TV into the -810 and that all works fine. The wii still won't work properly though, even with component. We get a picture but no sound, which is really irritating. I plugged the video cables into component 'IN 1' sockets and the audio cables into SA-CD/CD/CD-R input sockets. Does that sound about right?

SONY-STR-DH810-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

I have a new 810 and connected my WII into video 1. I used SA-CD/CD/CD-R for my IPOD. Works for me.

A

Anonymous

HoskinsC:I have a new 810 and connected my WII into video 1. I used SA-CD/CD/CD-R for my IPOD. Works for me.

Sounds like you are using composite connection. Is your TV connected via HDMI? And what about speakers - TV or do you have speakers plugged through your AVR too?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Mr Whitbags:
I swapped over the kids STR-DH510 with the -810 we had in the lounge. Only have BDP, V+HD box and TV plugged in the lounge, so the -510 is good enough.

Plugged the new X-Box, their Virgin HD, BDP and TV into the -810 and that all works fine. The wii still won't work properly though, even with component. We get a picture but no sound, which is really irritating. I plugged the video cables into component 'IN 1' sockets and the audio cables into SA-CD/CD/CD-R input sockets. Does that sound about right?

I expect you'll need to tell the AVR which audio input to use with the component video inputs, it won't be able to guess. Not sure I'd use the SACD input though, one of the video inputs might be better but have a look in the manual to see what they suggest.

A

Anonymous

Mr Whitbags:

HoskinsC:I have a new 810 and connected my WII into video 1. I used SA-CD/CD/CD-R for my IPOD. Works for me.

Sounds like you are using composite connection. Is your TV connected via HDMI? And what about speakers - TV or do you have speakers plugged through your AVR too?

Yes I am using composite and yes my TV is connected via HDMI. I also have a new set of Cambridge Minx 215's which sound better than I ever dreamed. I only auditioned them with a different amp but think they sound much better with the 810.

A

Anonymous

Ive got my wii connected to my amp with component cable with green,blue and red for picture and white and red for sound all on one lead .Better pic than standard Wii cable too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts