Connecting Xbox 360 to Onkyo 607

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd be grateful for any assistance anyone can offer me in connecting my xbox 360 to my onkyo 607 in order that I can get a hi def picture as well as the sound in 5.1.

I've got a component video lead for the 360 which has the red, blue and green plugs, as well as a set of red, white and yellow ones. The Onkyo manual says that in order to connect a games console with a component output, you should plug it into the component input for CBL/SAT. However, I am already running a Sky HD box through the receiver via an HDMI input.

I'm totally confused by it as I can't believe that it isn't possible to have hd xbox playing if you also have a sky box (at least without scrambling around behind the tv/receiver to unplug and replug everything everytime you want to switch from one to the other), but I was tearing my hair out last night trying to figure out how to do it. Please help me as I can't face another evening of trying to play the new Halo game in just 480i as it was nigh on impossible to make out the detail!

Cheers,

Gareth

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought your spare DVD connection would be okay, then your red & white RCA/phono cables for sound.

Don't forget to assign your inputs.

A

Anonymous

How would that work? I don't have an hdmi output for the 360, only the component (RGB) leads.

The trouble is that the CBL/SAT input is already assigned to the Sky HD box.

A

Anonymous

My apologies too as I should have said that I am also running a blu-ray player through the Onkyo (via the HDMI input) so neither component inputs are viable options.

A

Anonymous

Connect the 360 component cable (red, green & blue) directly into the TV, setting the 360 to output 1080i / 720p. Connect the 360 to the Onk via an optical cable for 5.1 sound (change 360 audio settings to dolby digital). 360 optical connection is on the component output cable plug. If you do not have an optical cable then connect the red and white to an Onk input and use pro logic 2 / neo 6 for sound. Yellow cable not needed.

A

Anonymous

It's a nice idea but sadly my xbox 360 is an old model with a bespoke adaptor output and so I had already bought a special cable for connecting the console to a tv in order to benefit from an hd picture. I gather that the new 360 models have an hdmi output but mine doesn't.

A

Anonymous

Not sure what you mean by a bespoke adaptor? What special cable did you buy (connection type)? I have 2 360's 1 old and 1 new and use this method to connect both to different TV's.

A

Anonymous

I mean that the part of the cable that plugs into the 360 is (in my experience) exclusive to the xbox, in the same way that I have never previously seen a power supply input like that on the console. I bought a component cable a couple of years ago (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-High-Definition-Component-Cable/dp/B000AYYADO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1254313751&sr=1-1) which I used to plug straight into the back of my tv.

Although I bought my receiver a few months back, I only got round to setting up the xbox last night in order to play the new Halo game. The only way I can get an hd picture is by plugging directly into my tv but having spent a lot of money for the receiver and a set of Kef 2005.3 speakers, I'd like to have my cake and eat it in the form of a 1080 picture and 5.1 sound!

A

Anonymous

Kevlon, I should say that I hadn't seen your original post until after posting my last comment, and my post regarding the bespoke cable was in response to slewis's last post. I believe that I tried the combination that you're suggesting last night but I will check again this evening in case I messed up. I should add though that I didn't go into the settings on the xbox to see what it was outputting so will also check that this evening.

Many thanks for your assistance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts