Plug order

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Depends on what you call good sound TrevC / how good you know it can get compared to where you are.

I think there needs to be a new house rule. If you don't own a piece of kit or have had first hand experience then comments on them should be moderated. This forum is ruined because there is constant negativity towards everything by people who clearly have years of knowledge but still only have limited experience same as everyone regardless of how righteous they want to appear

Despite what you say Ellis, none of the claims you make have any more validity than if I were to claim that I saw a fairy at the bottom of my garden yesterday. True, there is no proof that fairies do not exist, but at the same time nobody has been able to prove that they do and given our knowledge of science and the way the world actually is, it is virtually certain that they do not. Since the claims you make fly in the face of accepted science and logic, it is up to you to prove somehow, that your claims and the things that you have read on the internet from people who have a financial interest in selling foo are actually true.

It is accepted science that our perception of what we 'hear' is greatly affected by other sensory input and can only be accurately tested when all other sensory input is removed therefore any claims you or anyone else might make that your sound system has improved due to you changing some cable or mains lead are invalid.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am so tempted to take the p%ss, but I'm in the car (parked up I hasten to add), so I really can't be bothered.
If you really think messing about with uber expensive power cables, mains conditioners, the order in which you plug things in, even which bloody electric company sends you their bill, have at it .
I will, however, shortly start a home calibration busineas, where, for a small fee, I shall come round to your house, calibrate everything, align your lightbulbs with Mecca...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
Despite what you say Ellis, none of the claims you make have any more validity than if I were to claim that I saw a fairy at the bottom of my garden yesterday. True, there is no proof that fairies do not exist, but at the same time nobody has been able to prove that they do and given our knowledge of science and the way the world actually is, it is virtually certain that they do not. Since the claims you make fly in the face of accepted science and logic, it is up to you to prove somehow, that your claims and the things that you have read on the internet from people who have a financial interest in selling foo are actually true.

It is accepted science that our perception of what we 'hear' is greatly affected by other sensory input and can only be accurately tested when all other sensory input is removed therefore any claims you or anyone else might make that your sound system has improved due to you changing some cable or mains lead are invalid.
Of course it must be proven to be an opinion, it must be proven to recommend other people try. Its a hifi forum not a dissitation for a PHD.

However I have no issue with people following your logic and basing their buying decisions off of it - and I agree we are inlfuenced by what we read and see. I personally think if you listen to the system in the dark or very dim room and remove the visual stimulus of where you are and what your listening to you actually can focus better on the sound you are hearing.

So in this vain I am confident in what I have done to make my system sound the way it does - bearing in mind its an AV system I havent heard many HIFI systems or other AV Systems including uber expensive hold a candle to it as an overall presentation. Not saying its the best in the world just saying I havent heard one that overall I thought was better in every way - I would love to though dont get me wrong.

So based on TrevC and other comments how about we do this - I will offer up my time to travel to someones house who is using only coat hangers, bell wire, freeby interconnects, standard mains leads, cheap blu ray player or similar as a digital source, cheap amps, no isolation and anything I claim improves sound that is shunned and they can prove to me that a system can sound equally as good or better in its own right - factoring in not all systems or rooms sound the same or do they, as one with all what I would call "Important Issues" addressed.

If I hear this for myself then I will believe its possible. And given all the scientific facts linked to and quoted on here proves its 100% possible so there should be a a fair few people who systems setup like this able to show me. I am oviously not asking someone to show me proof of a UFO or a fairy am I.

How about that - would make for an interesting thread write up if nothing else.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
they won't rise to the challenge! Anybody can have armchair opinions..the reality is some of the views re coat hangers are just put forward to get a reaction! They are wind up merchants..they can't prove anything..load of windbags..waving their sheets of scientific claptrap! Hoping to get noticed!

Unlike you...

K

keeper of the quays

ellisdj said:
pauln said:
Despite what you say  Ellis, none of the claims you make have any more validity than if I were to claim that I saw a fairy at the bottom of my garden yesterday. True, there is no proof that fairies do not exist, but at the same time nobody has been able to prove that they do and given our knowledge of science and the way the world actually is, it is virtually certain that they do not. Since the claims you make fly in the face of accepted science and logic, it is up to you to prove somehow, that your claims and the things that you have read on the internet from people who have a financial interest in selling foo are actually true.

It is accepted science that our perception of what we 'hear' is greatly affected by other sensory input and can only be accurately tested when all other sensory input is removed therefore any claims you or anyone else might make that your sound system has improved due to you changing some cable or mains lead are invalid.
Of course it must be proven to be an opinion, it must be proven to recommend other people try.  Its a hifi forum not a dissitation for a PHD.

However I have no issue with people following your logic and basing their buying decisions off of it - and I agree we are inlfuenced by what we read and see.  I personally think if you listen to the system in the dark or very dim room and remove the visual stimulus of where you are and what your listening to you actually can focus better on the sound you are hearing.

So in this vain I am confident in what I have done to make my system sound the way it does - bearing in mind its an AV system I havent heard many HIFI systems or other AV Systems including uber expensive hold a candle to it as an overall presentation. Not saying its the best in the world just saying I havent heard one that overall I thought was better in every way - I would love to though dont get me wrong.

So based on TrevC and other comments how about we do this - I will offer up my time to travel to someones house who is using only coat hangers, bell wire, freeby interconnects, standard mains leads, cheap blu ray player or similar as a digital source, cheap amps, no isolation and anything I claim improves sound that is shunned and they can prove to me that a system can sound equally as good or better in its own right - factoring in not all systems or rooms sound the same or do they, as one with all what I would call "Important Issues" addressed.

If I hear this for myself then I will believe its possible.  And given all the scientific facts linked to and quoted on here proves its 100% possible so there should be a a fair few people who systems setup like this able to show me.  I am oviously not asking someone to show me proof of a UFO or a fairy am I.

How about that - would make for an interesting thread write up if nothing else.
they won't rise to the challenge! Anybody can have armchair opinions..the reality is some of the views re coat hangers are just put forward to get a reaction! They are wind up merchants..they can't prove anything..load of windbags..waving their sheets of scientific claptrap! Hoping to get noticed! Ps chances are even if you went to one of their houses? (barrel up a tree) the tea would be horrid.their view would be basics tea is as good as pg tips..just different packaging! Lol...

TrevC

ellisdj said:

If I hear this for myself then I will believe its possible.

I don't use coathangers, bell wire or have a cheap blu-ray player as a source and I don't allow idiots in my house.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
For a small additional fee I can rearrange your spice rack, and check your slippers for static, tilt your pictures "feng shui" style, shoot out the street lights....

K

keeper of the quays

pauln said:
they won't rise to the challenge! Anybody can have armchair opinions..the reality is some of the views re coat hangers are just put forward to get a reaction! They are wind up merchants..they can't prove anything..load of windbags..waving their sheets of scientific claptrap! Hoping to get noticed!

Unlike you...
was that the best you have? Lol...it took me a good few minutes to dream up my withering response..mmm? Hang on? Are you one of the cosy club..been here since gawd knows when..sorry us new boys should know our place? Lol...yeah...right

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No offers from those involved - ok still early days, I am happy to wait. I wont arm wrestle you either TrevC if you want to be the one - money where your mouth is

I am no axe murderer am happy to be proven wrong and will be totally honest about it, happy to bring my own tea as well. PG tips is fine, strong milk no sugar

If it sounds that good there wont be anything different I could say any way even if | wanted to

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The comments regarding the use of coat hangers as speaker cables are based on a listening test carried out in 2008.

At this time Monster Cable were making some pretty extravagant claims regarding their new speaker cable so a group of enthusiasts (from Audioholics) decided to call them on this.

They set up a test where the Monster Cable was compared to a cable made up of straightened wire coat hangers.

Listening blind, those taking part found it impossible to tell which was which.

K

keeper of the quays

ellisdj said:
No offers from those involved - ok still early days,  I am happy to wait.  I wont arm wrestle you either TrevC if you want to be the one - money where your mouth is  

I am no axe murderer am happy to be proven wrong and will be totally honest about it, happy to bring my own tea as well. PG tips is fine, strong milk no sugar

If it sounds that good there wont be anything different I could say any way even if | wanted to 
They won't respond..gutless wonders! Their arguments have no foundation and they know this..if your ever near Hastings? Pop in..i have Japanese whisky and you can listen to a amp I have designed for ipods etc..i could do with a opinion on it..cheers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I totally get that in blind tests people cant tell the difference between expensive and cheap or whatever - but that doesnt mean the cheap whatever actually sounds good.

That is what needs to be proven - can someone make amazing sound using freeby interconnects and coathangers etc

If they cant its time to stop with the continual negative bombardment towards certain topics and instead turn the input to actual experiences or not commenting at all

TrevC

ellisdj said:
I totally get that in blind tests people cant tell the difference between expensive and cheap or whatever - but that doesnt mean the cheap whatever actually sounds good.

That is what needs to be proven - can someone make amazing sound using freeby interconnects and coathangers etc

If they cant its time to stop with the continual negative bombardment towards certain topics and instead turn the input to actual experiences or not commenting at all

I'm just telling it like it is. The difference between you and I is that I know what I'm talking about, and don't comment on things I know nothing about.

K

keeper of the quays

DomCheetham said:
amp I have designed for ipods

oooh. I have an iPod Nano.
I use my iPod touch 4 thru YouTube into my gizmo then into my speakers..and this stuff bout flac wav etc makes all of that a nonsense..it's astonishing! I played the same track thru my expensive hifi and my gizmo sounded better..lol..come and have a listen..i used my flash speakers but I have 902i or f1 custom or dynaudio 42s..i can use any of those too

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
ellisdj said:

I'm just telling it like it is. The difference between you and I is that I know what I'm talking about, and don't comment on things I know nothing about.
Course not TrevC Course not
You know everything I know nothing

Dom

DomCheetham said:

I use my iPod touch 4 thru YouTube into my gizmo then into my speakers..and this stuff bout flac wav etc makes all of that a nonsense..it's astonishing! I played the same track thru my expensive hifi and my gizmo sounded better..lol..come and have a listen..i used my flash speakers but I have 902i or f1 custom or dynaudio 42s..i can use any of those too

Thanks very much, glad to hear it offers such exellent results.

I tried plugging my Nano into my amp, and the Nano complained of incompatibility and made a buzz sound every 2 seconds or so with the music. Pity.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I still think having your spices in reverse alphabetical order in the rack is the final touch to any audiophile setup....

Prove me wrong....

Arranging you herbs and spices, where do you find the time?

Easy, it's next to the sage!

(works better spoken for obvious time/thyme spelling reasons - I'll get my coat)

K

keeper of the quays

DomCheetham said:
DomCheetham said:

Thanks very much, glad to hear it offers such exellent results.  

I tried plugging my Nano into my amp, and the Nano complained of incompatibility and made a buzz sound every 2 seconds or so with the music. Pity. 
That's odd? My iPod shuffle works through my hifi..sounds not so good..did you go mini jack to rca into amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts