Plug order

Dom

Anyone interested in how to order the plugs it turns out that:

Amplifer drinks the most juice at 330w

Next its my PC at 280w

Then my TV at 50w

Finally my DAC at just 10w.

There's a few other things but thats the jist.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
Anyone interested in how to order the plugs its turns out that:

Next its my PC at 280w

Then my TV at 50w

I like mine to be in alphabetical order.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
pauln said:
DomCheetham said:

Next its my PC at 280w

Then my TV at 50w

I like mine to be in alphabetical order.

If you don't have a separate spur for each of them then you're doing it wrong :p

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Try separating them on different plugs extensions if your using them.

A cheap mains extension block is a tacima cs947 I think the new model is to replace the cs929. Cheap on ebay

Put the tv and computer on one and the amp and dac on an other. Keep phone chargers routers or anything using a wall mart amps power supply out of the dac one use minimum in that one as possible.

You can try one but don't plug everything straight into it try 1 at a time starting with dac
Let us know how you get on.

K

keeper of the quays

DomCheetham said:

Next its my PC at 280w

Then my TV at 50w

I quite like cloudy apple juice.it has never occurred to me to share it with my amplifier? Your amp drinks juice Mr cheetham? I suggest rooibos tea for amp as it's less acidic! Ps try going t amp? Uses hardly any 'juice' sounds brilliant!

Somewhere I have a mains noise sniffer, which is enlightening as to what makes the most noise on the domestic ring. Low energy light bulbs were the worst - the coiled fluorescent type.

Must dig it out soon and test the newer led down lighters.

My old amp idles at over 40 watts, which means it is always warm. Wouldn't allow that these days!

Dom

keeper of the quays said:
DomCheetham said:

Next its my PC at 280w

Then my TV at 50w

I quite like cloudy apple juice.it has never occurred to me to share it with my amplifier? Your amp drinks juice Mr cheetham? I suggest rooibos tea for amp as it's less acidic! Ps try going t amp? Uses hardly any 'juice' sounds brilliant!

Oh yes they are very thirsty.

Next amp will look into class T.

Dom

nopiano said:
Somewhere I have a mains noise sniffer, which is enlightening as to what makes the most noise on the domestic ring. Low energy light bulbs were the worst - the coiled fluorescent type.

My old amp idles at over 40 watts, which means it is always warm. Wouldn't allow that these days!

Fasinating, thanks for the info.

Dom

ellisdj said:

A cheap mains extension block is a tacima cs947 I think the new model is to replace the cs929. Cheap on ebay

Put the tv and computer on one and the amp and dac on an other. Keep phone chargers routers or anything using a wall mart amps power supply out of the dac one use minimum in that one as possible.

You can try one but don't plug everything straight into it try 1 at a time starting with dac Let us know how you get on.

I do own the cs929 wonderful thing that, worth every penny and it adds bass. I will check this out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:

I don't have noisy mains (that I can tell), but i'd still be interested in your findings. All the ground floor lighting is now LED, except for the conservatory and I am about to get LEDs in there too. The 1st floor is around 70 percent LED but it's on a different ring and separate breaker anyway.

A cursory search on google only brings up issues with audible (not mains) noise from people using LED bulbs with dimmers. We have no dimmers except for two bedroom lamps that have specifically designed dimmable LED bulbs that - again - are on a different ring to the hi-fi downstairs. No noise problems with them. Just looked for the label that said 'dimmable' on the lightbulb boxes.

Anyway, the bedside lamps are seldom in use at the same time as the hi-fi.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Anything with a smps power supply puts noise on the mains - computer router blu ray player etc. Then there is airborne noise from wireless and mobile phones very high freq. Lights I never even thought of that one as well.

You might not think it's there but take correct action to remove it you soon realise it's been there in abundance.

But as always looking past £30 units to something £1k + isotek aquarius springs to mind or a used isotek titan will show this more. Home demo first before spending this much though obviously. If you try these I bet they will end up staying put and not sent back.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife is going to ask me what I am doing? I can just imagine her face as I reply that I am re-ordering the plugs based on how much juice they drink. But she knows better than to then ask why? *smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You might not think it's there but take correct action to remove it you soon realise it's been there in abundance.

A few of these dotted around on certain cables ...

ZCAT2235-1030A-BK.jpg

I've had mine so long I don't even remember buying them (a couple of them were a free gift I think).

TrevC

chebby said:
ellisdj said:

A few of these dotted around on certain cables ...

I've had mine so long I don't even remember buying them (a couple of them were a free gift I think).

Nowhere near expensive enough. To get a good placebo effect you need to spend hundreds (and imagine there is a problem in the first place even though you can't hear one). I actually used to use one on an audio out lead from my old computer that buzzed thrrough the amplifier otherwise, but the problem disappeared when I used the Behringer USB DAC.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
The way I see it, is to lower distortion, the highest wattage device will have the most resistance so should go first, and so on.

I know right *biggrin*

It really doesn't matter. Also, unless your amp is class A the quoted wattage would be at full output.

Dom

TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
The way I see it, is to lower distortion, the highest wattage device will have the most resistance so should go first, and so on.

I know right *biggrin*

It really doesn't matter. Also, unless your amp is class A the quoted wattage would be at full output.

My PC was rated at half power, the amp was rated at full power.

I see what your saying, placebo effect.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Anything with a smps power supply puts noise on the mains - computer router blu ray player etc. Then there is airborne noise from wireless and mobile phones very high freq. Lights I never even thought of that one as well.

But as always looking past £30 units to something £1k + isotek aquarius springs to mind or a used isotek titan will show this more. Home demo first before spending this much though obviously. If you try these I bet they will end up staying put and not sent back.

All those switch mode PSUs in your house will insidiously vibrate your brain molecules and make you buy pointless overpriced foo like Isotek, so beware. You could try playing music with everything in your house likely to cause interference unplugged from the mains, but that is far too easy and inexpensive.

TrevC

ellisdj said:

You can try one but don't plug everything straight into it try 1 at a time starting with dac Let us know how you get on.

No, you should plug everything into the Tacima all at once.

Dom

TrevC said:
ellisdj said:

All those switch mode PSUs in your house will insidiously vibrate your brain molecules and make you buy pointless overpriced foo like Isotek, so beware. You could try playing music with everything in your house likely to cause interference unplugged from the mains, but that is far too easy and inexpensive.

Actually my little flat has most things unplugged except the fridge, need that.

Look man the cosmic back ground radiation is screwing with my audio experience, damn universe.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Usual horse manure from TrevC talking about something he has no experience of and has never tried.

But in TrevC world he doesn't need to as he gets perfect sound for no money.

For everyone else who wants to work towards Really good sound that from what I have heard even from £100k+ systems they would all benefit from the things I recommend. There has not been a system I have heard loads now that wouldn't.

If it was as easy as TrevC spouts to get amazing sound coat hangers bell wire cheap and cheerful bits then a hifi show walk round would be perfect sound room after room. Does anyone think this is true?

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Usual horse manure from TrevC talking about something he has no experience of and has never tried.

But in TrevC world he doesn't need to as he gets perfect sound for no money.

For everyone else who wants to work towards Really good sound that from what I have heard even from £100k+ systems they would all benefit from the things I recommend. There has not been a system I have heard loads now that wouldn't.

If it was as easy as TrevC spouts to get amazing sound coat hangers bell wire cheap and cheerful bits then a hifi show walk round would be perfect sound room after room. Does anyone think this is true?

It's easy to get good sound without buying into all the audiophool mythology that you so readily believe, but you really can't distinguish between pseudoscientific nonsense and fact. You don't need to throw cash at everything, you only need to know how things work. If you have an amplifier that picks up interference from the mains the fault lies in the design of the amplifier.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Depends on what you call good sound TrevC / how good you know it can get compared to where you are.

I think there needs to be a new house rule. If you don't own a piece of kit or have had first hand experience then comments on them should be moderated.
This forum is ruined because there is constant negativity towards everything by people who clearly have years of knowledge but still only have limited experience same as everyone regardless of how righteous they want to appear

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Depends on what you call good sound TrevC / how good you know it can get compared to where you are.

I think there needs to be a new house rule. If you don't own a piece of kit or have had first hand experience then comments on them should be moderated. This forum is ruined because there is constant negativity towards everything by people who clearly have years of knowledge but still only have limited experience same as everyone regardless of how righteous they want to appear

LOL, the irony.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is no irony TrevC i only mention things I have experience with owned or at least tried.
When was the last time anyone read yes I tried it and and I think this....

I don't remember reading that very often but I do remember reading categorical opinion after opinion on all manner of topics and product types not tested owned or even heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts