Pls. recommend some interconnects and speaker cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in changing my interconnects from Ecosse Best Boy to Atlas equator and my speaker cables from Straight Wire Musicable Speaker Bi-wires to QED silver anniversary xt bi-wire cables. My question is - does it make a significant improvement in terms of performance? I prefer warm sound and listen to a lot of jazz music. My setup below: Cambridge Audio 540 v2 CD Player, Cambridge Audio 540 v2 Amplifier, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers, Ecosse Best Boy Interconnects, Straight Wire Musicable Speaker Bi-wires

A

Anonymous

I think you will hear a significant difference with the QED speaker cables. As to the interconnects have you listened to Cambridge azur cables?

A

Anonymous

i would be inclined not to get the qed speaker cable if you prefer a warmer sound. While the cables will not make a significant impact on your systems overall sound, the qed can be a touch bright and not the weightiest cable around. Try dnm reson mark 2. Having done a direct comparison between it and the original qed silver anniversary, i can tell you that the reson is a far better cable. It has a smooth top end and has more weight through the mid as well as the bass than the qed. It will give you a sound more to your liking than the qed as well as just being a better cable all round. You can get it online for £6.15 p/m.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]i would be inclined not to get the qed speaker cable [/quote]

I agree with Fraziel though I would say that solid core DNM has a rather 'unique' sound thats also highly amplifier dependent. It has pronounced mids and a rather rolled off though clean treble. I think you will not get the 'warmth' you like with your gear. Worth a try if you can take a set home for a trial but I suggest VDHull as I always would for 'budget' systems which normally have a character as described by yourself. Its good value for money and again, will be good enough to stay in your system for a while once you move on to better stuff.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]i would be inclined not to get the qed speaker cable if you prefer a warmer sound. While the cables will not make a significant impact on your systems overall sound, the qed can be a touch bright and not the weightiest cable around. Try dnm reson mark 2. Having done a direct comparison between it and the original qed silver anniversary, i can tell you that the reson is a far better cable. It has a smooth top end and has more weight through the mid as well as the bass than the qed. It will give you a sound more to your liking than the qed as well as just being a better cable all round. You can get it online for £6.15 p/m.[/quote]

This post is best ignored because this guy imagines things all the time. Buy some thick multistrand on Ebay, it'll cost around £2 per metre and be equivalent to the best on the market.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="Fraziel"]i would be inclined not to get the qed speaker cable if you prefer a warmer sound. While the cables will not make a significant impact on your systems overall sound, the qed can be a touch bright and not the weightiest cable around. Try dnm reson mark 2. Having done a direct comparison between it and the original qed silver anniversary, i can tell you that the reson is a far better cable. It has a smooth top end and has more weight through the mid as well as the bass than the qed. It will give you a sound more to your liking than the qed as well as just being a better cable all round. You can get it online for £6.15 p/m.[/quote] This post is best ignored because this guy imagines things all the time. Buy some thick multistrand on Ebay, it'll cost around £2 per metre and be equivalent to the best on the market.[/quote]

i know 3 people who used qed anniversary, including myself. The other 2 both ditched the qed on hearing the dnm. One guy actually went out and bought the dnm the next day.It sounds totally different to the qed and only a moron or a f*cking idiot would say there is no difference, or even worse, not hear a difference. mcalpine has not compared the 2 cables or probably even heard them and is therefore in no position to comment. Dont buy £2 multistrand.I guarantee you it will sound rubbish in comparison.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"] only a moron or a f*cking idiot would say there is no difference, or even worse, not hear a difference.[/quote]

Anyone so moronic that they need to use bad language is always best ignored. I guarantee that a decently made multi-strand copper cable of adequate (4mm or greater, preferably 6mm) construction will be as good as anything on the market regardless of price. There are no differences between branded and unbranded cable apart from the price and the only advantage of silver is that marginally thinner cables can be used. Has Fraziel listened to 6mm copper from Ebay? No, because he's obsessed by brand names and, not realising that any speaker cable is just a speaker cable and series impedance is the only thing that really matters, won't even try them.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Clare,

Would agree with the above. I recently bought a Cyrus outfit (6vs & SE) with the MA RS6. I'm still waiting for the SE CD player (listened without an audition, unbelievably) so in no rush. Don't suppose you're doing a review on interconnects/speaker wire in next issue or 2?

Cheers

BD

A

Anonymous

I feel there is a difference between varying cables. I opted for the QED because out of the cables offered to me by my dealer, these were the best. I'm sure that there are much better cables out there and when funds allow I'll road test them. IMO speaker cables and interconnects are the turning point of how a system is going to sound and is just as important as the units themselves. Thats what I think anyway!!

A

Anonymous

Even though Fraziel and drummerman has given some good advice regarding what types of cables I may opt for, I don't think we have covered interconnects yet. With my current setup, is it even logical to change it given that I am not using stock interconnects anyway?

Based on the feedback so far, it seems that changing my interconnects and speaker wires may not give a significant boost for me as I am being held back by my current setup. Heck, I may end up spending so much money with it and not notice a difference at all.

To be honest, I am quite happy with the music and warmth of my current setup as this is my first hifi set that I purchased. Ofcourse I have not been spoiled with higher end equipment that most of you have which could be the reason why your cables + interconnects should scale with the level of equipment you're using.

Anyway, pls. do provide some more inputs on my doubts. Thanks!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Anyone so moronic that they need to use bad language is always best ignored.[/quote]

But surely "bad" language is a form of expression. In it's most basic form, it's designed to insult and this therefore shows a degree of intelligence. Surely "moronic" would be to accept your view without question, as perhaps a child would. Or the vice versa could be true if you were moronic, Keith i.e. you would accept Fraziel's view without question.

In both cases therefore, we can rule out that you are morons and are therefore thinking independently of one another.

Can I just say again, I really do enjoy these posts!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Anyone so moronic that they need to use bad language is always best ignored.[/quote]
But surely "bad" language is a form of expression. In it's most basic form, it's designed to insult and this therefore shows a degree of intelligence. Surely "moronic" would be to accept your view without question, as perhaps a child would. Or the vice versa could be true if you were moronic, Keith i.e. you would accept Fraziel's view without question.

In both cases therefore, we can rule out that you are morons and are therefore thinking independently of one another.

Can I just say again, I really do enjoy these posts!

[/quote]

Are you nuts?

There is no 'one right' way but some are safer than others. I suggested VdH because it covers both camps ie. a good solid number of copper conductors and silver plating. Its good value and very well made too. Cables are amplifier/speaker sensitive so its a minefield. What works for one combination may not for an other. Some amps dont use coils. They should only be used with low capacitance cables of a certain length for example.

A good dealer will give you some wires to try out.

A

Anonymous

Keith doesn't know what he is talking about. EVERY cable sounds different. It is all to do with synergy. I can tell after buying hi fi for over 40 years evn when I change the plug in the wall. Yes MK sounds different to Crabtree etc. Even fuses sound different. No Keith I am not mad!! If you can't tell the difference between say QED and DNM and more especially when one gets really high up nearer to £1000 for a metre of interconnect the difference is 'night and day'. I know it should be but that is what this hobby is all about. I bet Keith thinks his Ipod sounds as good as CD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="drummerman"]
Are you nuts?
[/quote]

Clearly I am when I'm up at 4am writing on this forum on a work night... I don't even remember this post!

[/quote]

Neither can I (5am). Who are you?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="AlanBstone"]
Keith doesn't know what he is talking about. EVERY cable sounds different. It is all to do with synergy. I can tell after buying hi fi for over 40 years evn when I change the plug in the wall. Yes MK sounds different to Crabtree etc. Even fuses sound different. No Keith I am not mad!! If you can't tell the difference between say QED and DNM and more especially when one gets really high up nearer to £1000 for a metre of interconnect the difference is 'night and day'. I know it should be but that is what this hobby is all about. I bet Keith thinks his Ipod sounds as good as CD.

[/quote]

Cables make a difference but there comes a point (in my humble ... hehem opinion) where it gets stupid. Anybody that spends a grand on one interconnect rather than music or a holiday or a night at FYEO needs sectioning! - Would that be perhaps you Alan?? If you can hear a difference in sound when CHANGING A FUSE you are a freak of nature and clearly should live in the bat enclosure of london zoo. Cheerio

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]If you can hear a difference in sound when CHANGING A FUSE you are a freak of nature[/quote]

The sad thing is the whole hi-fi industry, even the esteemed organ of which this board is a part, is awash with that type of crackpot thinking.

A reality check is long overdue.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Fingers Lee"]A reality check is long overdue[/quote]

Yes. The same goes for cartridges, have a look what goes in a cartridge and then tell me with a straight face the thing is worth 3k or even 1k, crazy. Engineering content/material value should determine a (any) products value. Unfortunately, in this industry, there are a lot of people that cash in on people's vanity, ESPECIALLY when it comes to wires.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... I'll add to that ... I know VdH, which I value for affordable cables, also makes an indecently expensive interconnect and some rather expensive cartridges. Figure that. Has he succumbed to the smell of money or is it really worth the cash? I doubt it even taking into account small scale, hand made manufacturing.I have'nt heard either so have to reserve judgement but there is a limit to what a cable can do (or not do, more to the point) or what a tiny cartridge made up of a very few parts should be worth. Amen

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
... I'll add to that ... I know VdH, which I value for affordable cables, also makes an indecently expensive interconnect and some rather expensive cartridges. Figure that. Has he succumbed to the smell of money or is it really worth the cash? I doubt it even taking into account small scale, hand made manufacturing.I have'nt heard either so have to reserve judgement but there is a limit to what a cable can do (or not do, more to the point) or what a tiny cartridge made up of a very few parts should be worth. Amen
[/quote]

Now I must admit I'm no cartridge/cable expert, but I have to wonder why everyone goes on about just what something can or can't apparently do for the cash without looking at what it may or may not cost the manufacturer to make it. I used to work for a manufacturer in another industry, which I won't name to protect the innocent. Our products were sold by us to retailers at prices ranging from £40 to £500, the difference in price was not just down to what each item did as they all did similar things, the differences were accounted for by a combination of, for example, design costs, testing costs, costs related to copyright and patent protection, complexity of assembly, economies of scale (we sold a lot more of the cheaper products that the expensive ones, the longer the production line remained working on one type of item the cheaper each one became), different packaging costs (people expect expensive things to be in pretty packaging- just look at Tesco Value, and Tesco Finest), because people had larger batches of the cheaper items delivered the delivery cost per item was cheaper and of course any dealer margin and VAT added would work out more expensive as a 171/2 % of £42 is only £7.35 wheras 171/2 % of £500 is £87.50. It's not just down to the materials used.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]Now I must admit I'm no cartridge/cable expert, but I have to wonder why everyone goes on about just what something can or can't apparently do for the cash without looking at what it may or may not cost the manufacturer to make it. [/quote]

Why wont you name the industry? Come on ...

A

Anonymous

Well sometimes cartridges are stupidly expensive because they don't make many and the coils are hand wound under big microscopes (on the milky white thighs etc) - it's not just the physical value in terms of material and engineering, it's yield and often (in all industries) defining a proper differentiation between different products - even supermarkets do this with their cheapo, normal, and premium brands. It is absolutely about making money - but do you really think they'd sell them at all if it wasn't. That a top end product that is sold once in blue moon commands a hefty premium shouldn't be surprising it happens in all endeavours where money is exchanged for goods. As long as not too much mickey is taken.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jimwall"]Well sometimes cartridges are stupidly expensive because they don't make many and the coils are hand wound under big microscopes (on the milky white thighs etc) - it's not just the physical value in terms of material and engineering, it's yield and often (in all industries) defining a proper differentiation between different products - even supermarkets do this with their cheapo, normal, and premium brands. It is absolutely about making money - but do you really think they'd sell them at all if it wasn't. That a top end product that is sold once in blue moon commands a hefty premium shouldn't be surprising it happens in all endeavours where money is exchanged for goods. As long as not too much mickey is taken[/quote]

Well, I've finally worked my way through your veeery boring posting which essentially is the same as Gwyndis reply. I KNOW why companies make top of range products and have no problems with that if engineering content and material value are there. Coming to think of it I dont have a problem if some idiot with more money than sense pays silly amounts for something he wants, each to their own. But I still fail to hear a convincing reply as to how a cartridge or cable can be worth thousands and I dont care if I coil has been hand wound. The 'law of diminishing return' is ALWAYS an issue when you move up through the ranks but my point is its better spent on something which really does make a big difference and has hard, physical properties that explain why it costs what it does. Look at some of the cartridges that cost 1k+. They are so roughly finished that you can see filing marks on their unsightly bodies. They look like a kid made it! Then they supply it in a nice wooden box to make up for ... Oh I get it, there is where all the work goes in to ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts