Please help with my TV decision!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, first of all thanks for reading this thread!

I am moving into a new house in about 6 - 8 weeks and i intend getting a big ol' tv for the front room to replace my 32" Sony CRT.

Being a simpleton, i was content with either a PHILIPS 50PFP5532D PLASMA HD 50" - or - a PANASONIC VIERA TH50PX70BA PLASMA HD 50" - untill my friend pointed out that the resolution was out of date with these sets, and that anything tv that doesnt have a resolution of 1080P is old technology.

I like watching films (dvds) a lot and i'll have sky and an xbox 360.

In your godly opinions, WhatHiFi Forum readers, what should i buy?

(p.s i want the biggest tv possible!)

merci beaucoup

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nelsonphillipio"]
(p.s i want the biggest tv possible!)

[/quote]I like where you are coming from!

If you wist to make your purchase future proof then yes a 1080P set is the way to go but your friend saying that a HD Ready set is out of date is somewhat unfair as there are many great HD Ready sets that will also take a 1080P signal from a Blu-Ray player and downscale them to fit the panel.

Your 360 will look gteat on either type but make your decision on facts like do you intend to buy a Blu-Ray player and enter into the world of HD movies? If so then go for a FULL HD set.

I have the Samsung Full Hd plasma with a 360,DVD and a ps3 and it looks fantastic and costs under £1300.
emotion-21.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Don't worry too much about the figures - as a general rule of thumb, HD ready sets have a tendency to show SD broadcasts better than full HD sets. Full HD 1080 sets come into their own when viewing HDDVD or Bluray dvd's. If you have the HDDVD add on for the XBox 360 you would notice a difference using that as a DVD source with HDDVD's but if you dont...

There are no full HD broadcasters at present so if you have no plans to upgrade to a source which can give you full HD at 1080p, then an HD ready set would be sufficient.

If you check the 'Best Buys' section of the magazine, all of the recommended sets listed are 'only' HD ready.

If you cannot see anything wrong with either of the sets you have listed, choose the one YOU think is best for the price you can afford. You will be the one watching it every day, not your mates.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Are there any televisions in particular you would advise?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The Samsung PS-50P96FD gets good reviews - available for £1200 at Empire Direct. The Sony KDL-52W3000 is also a 5 star TV (Feb issue has a 50" TV supertest). Pioneer have a PDP-LX508XD which won the WHFS&V Award for 2007.

You should also check the following 4 star products - Panasonic TH50PZ700 or TH50PX70 (last year's models so might be worth waiting to see the new range), LG 47LF65, Philips 52PFL9632D and Toshiba 52Z3030D. While I haven't seen these TV's personally (I looked at loads of 42") I would put them on my shortlist and check them out - the final decision being my own preference influenced by budget and aesthetics.

Hope this helps more than confuses!

Please note that all TV model numbers are UK referenced

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I personally would avoid any of the LCD models when you get into TVs of this size as IMHO a Plasma offers a far superiour picture especially when it comes to watching movies and compared to any LCD model that I have seen motion is handled far better.

I own the Samsung PS-50P96FD and it truely is a 5 Star tv offering fantastic pictures and great Value For Money. If you invested into one you would not be dissapointed.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses... i'm leaning toward the Samsung PS-50P96FD however i have heard that the tv makes a buzzing noise, from numerous different people!

http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/samsung/ps50p96fd

Is this something you have noticed?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Mine is as quiet as a mouse. Yes with no volume and if you stand right next to the set with your head around the back there is a ever so slight buzz but nothing you can hear from around the front of the set. All Plasma sets buzz in this way as do most electronic devices if you get close enough.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

i just cant help thinking how you can replace a 32 with a 50".... how far do you sit?

nads

[quote user="matthew s"]
i just cant help thinking how you can replace a 32 with a 50".... how far do you sit?
[/quote] i have just replaced a 32 with a 50. Just under 4m away. ;)

A

Anonymous

LOUNGE
4.78m(15'8'') x 4.29m(14'1'') They are the dimensions of my lounge (i'm yet to move in! - approx 6 weeks away with any luck)

So i'm guessing with furniture everywehre, im probs gonna be about 3/3.5m away from the tv...

bigger is better though right? :D

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
indeed - though as mentioned earlier in this thread, your choice of source will be crucial. If you're feeding a very low quality, SD signal into a set of that size/resolution, the flaws will be all-too-apparent.

A

Anonymous

Well, i don't have a HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray (yet - maybe purchase a ps3 when they come down a bit).

I will connect up a Sky box. Now, i see Sky have a HD box - do they have sky+ incoroprated in them? Other than that i have ye old dvd format.

i'm going to john lewis tonight to check out some tv's - they all come with a 5 year guarantee but they don't do the Samsung that i've been considering! decisions decisions!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sky HD boxes are essentially Sky+ with a better-quality (HDMI) connection, higher-resolution output and a larger hard disk (as HD content is obviously more space-hungry). Works in exactly the same way otherwise.
With the growing amount of HD content, plus some rumoured deals on the horizon, Sky HD is definitely worth looking into for a set that size....

A

Anonymous

I've just been browsing on the john lewis website and they do the Samsung PS42Q97HDX which is more in my price range - plus they do a 5 year guarantee - and will eliminate the furniture arrangement/poor quality SD broadcasting issues.

I think i'm onto a winner!

http://www.johnlewis.com/230420498/Product.aspx

A

Anonymous

Upon closer inspection, the resolution is only 1024 x 768. Back to square one.

A

Anonymous

i've decided on a tv ... the Panasonic TH42PX70PED. It isnt Full HD but apparently the digital processing software is very good... this isnt a bad choice, is it? it's good value for the money (i think!)

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TH42PX70PED

A

Anonymous

The Th42PX70 has just been replaced with the TH42PX80. Much the same TV, although their are some small improvements. However you will get a better price on the older model.

A

Anonymous

if you did want Full HD Maybe the TH42PZ70B, and they are all 42"s u mentioned

A

Anonymous

Ok, so, i'm putting a lot of thought into this TV purchase!!

i'm now leaning toward.... Samsung LE46M87BDX/XEU LCD.

Anyone know any pro's / con's for this tv?

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
It's not a great set. It's decent with HD content but not with SD. I think you were better off looking at the new Panasonics. The new 42PX80 can be had for £750. Considering that early reviews have said that it's not that far off the picture quality of the Pioneer Kuros, that seems like a bargain to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts