Please help - some simple advice for a simple mind.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a pair of QED XT evolution speaker cables terminated both ends with QED airloc banana plugs. But they don't fit the amplifier i have (arcam 7) nor the speakers (BW685s).

Can anyone tell me what i need to actually fit both items please.

I accept i am a complete pleb, and should probably have called hificables before i placed the order.

Help!

Den

A

Anonymous

Yes, the connections in the arcam amp are visible inside a plastic screwable case which surrounds them. The speakers the same except with metal cases, which tighten.

I have a feeling this may be embarrassing.

daveh75

IIRC the Alpha 7 has BFA connectors, so not sure if theres any other solution than cutting of the banana plugs.

The 685s will however take banana plugs if you remove the plastic bungs/caps fromm the centre of the binding posts.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Dave, there seems to be a similar thread on this problem in the forum, and i apparently do need bfa connectors which qed supply. Not sure about the speaker end, as i didn't want to forcibly put them in, there were no covers in place on binding posts, i think. i'll re-attempt the speaker connection once more.

A

Anonymous

There appears to be a socket, but its too tight to accept the banana. I'll have another bash but i dont want to damage the post or the cable connector. Do i need to unscrew the rings that tighten around the post?

By the way, would you know if the bfa adaptor would be a worse option than having a new bfa connector fitted directly to the cable. I suppose if i used a banana to bfa adaptor the cables could be readily connectible to an amp with banana sockets, down the line if i ever change amps?

A

Anonymous

I have unscrewed them and the banana does go in now, but the feel isn't as tight as i would have expected. These speakers are bi-wireable also, should i remove the cord-like connector that runs from the top posts to bottom posts, as i wont be bi-wiring them?

And finally! Would an adaptor banana to bfa have any effect on quality of sound, or would it be unnoticeable given the fairly basic set up that i have?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The connector stays in place. I know nothing about BFA connections but read the post below for single wiring bi-wire speakers

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/447530.aspx

A

Anonymous

Maybe i'm tired but thats confusing. Could you possibly explain it Key Sta9e 1 style for me.

Does the amp connect to LF + and - (the top posts - bass). And the cable down is from LF+ to LF- and LF+ to LF-?

How are the downward cables connected and fixed to posts?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Okay, you have your jumper cable linking each vertical post down on each speaker. That's how it should be for single wiring. So are you asking in which posts to put your plugs?

A

Anonymous

So bananas on main cable from amp to LF+ and LF-.

And jumper down from LF- to HF- and LF+ to HF+? How does the jumper connect to posts?

Or should i sleep?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Dennis Harvey:
I have unscrewed them and the banana does go in now, but the feel isn't as tight as i would have expected. These speakers are bi-wireable also, should i remove the cord-like connector that runs from the top posts to bottom posts, as i wont be bi-wiring them?

And finally! Would an adaptor banana to bfa have any effect on quality of sound, or would it be unnoticeable given the fairly basic set up that i have?

As above, you said you have a connector running down each vertical post on each speaker. Assuming they have some form of metal in them, those are your jumper cables.

Now you have a speaker cable coming out of the red terminal from your amp, and as per normal you connect it to the red terminal in your speaker (likewise with the black). Doesn't matter if it's the top or bottom post just experiment for the best sound. Job done!

A

Anonymous

Really pi55ing me off this now. Bananas dont fit. And yes, Banana to BFA adaptor (Russ Andrews) doesn't fit either. I've contacted Arcam in sheer frustration.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I dont understand this Dennis

The Arcam Alpha 7 amp has BFA connectors are the rear so standard BFA pugs will fit (i.e. - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Deltron-BFA-Speaker-Plugs-Linn-Cyrus-Arcam-Sets-4-/350353595647?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5192b39cff )

Theyre all you need so dont spend £20 at Russ Andrews!

The B&W 685 speaker terminal posts accept 4mm banana plugs but they will have small red/black caps in the plug holes to stop anything going into them until removed

Just use the tip of a sharp knife to pop them out and then out the banana plugs in
emotion-1.gif

If you're bi-wiring (i.e. using both sets of speaker terminals - 2x HF and 2 x LF) then you MUST remnove the speaker jumper bars (flat peices of brass that connect the LF to HF). Just unscrew the binding posts until the jumper bars fall out
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks Dan. I fancied the adaptor because i thought it would providethe option of a banana connector if i ever changed amp, but this doesn't fit.

The arcam amp has posts with plastic screw on caps. This adaptor will not fit end on onto the posts! The banana doesnt either.

Does the deltron connector have a different gauge / profile? Different from the adaptor that is.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis

Please can you get a pic of the rear of your Arcam Alpha 7 amp

If yourenot sure how to host pics use Photobucket.com
emotion-1.gif

IIRC it should look like this:

alpha7.jpg

2 sets of speaker posts. They have the plastic screw covering around them (black and red) and they will either accept a normal 4mm banana plug or you'll need the BFA plugsas the termina's will have a small connector pole right down the middle!

NOW... The terminals may have a small cap on the end so you cannot see the hole. If this is so just pop those caps out (use the tip of a sharp knife) and bobs youre uncle!

A

Anonymous

yes just as per your photo Dan, no caps on, and the pole is visible, but this adaptor will not attach. I wonder if the adaptor is meant for linn bfa?

The ixos 222 looks like it would fit, i think i may just hand them back to hificables and ask them to stick a standard bfa connector on!

So off its untrue, i've had the alpha 7 before, but a friend supplied me with qed flat speaker cable and i cannot for the life of me remember how they terminated or what the connectors looked like!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts