Please help - noob question

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, could you please help how to connect banana plugs to the Pioneer A30 and Elac FS 147? I bought the Qed xt 40. I was looking on the youtube, but found nothing useful.

Gray

QED use 'Airloc' plugs when they fit them. What type of 4mm banana plugs have you got?

Screw terminal? Solder terminal?

Or have you actually got the plugs already fitted? - In which case the little plastic caps in the rear of the amp / speaker terminals may be all that's blocking you?

If so just use something thin and sharp like a scalpel to dig the caps out, then push the plugs in (quite a bit of pressure may be necessary to push plugs fully in, some people think they're not meant to fit!)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
kukulec said:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1630/26098019183_a1253d8933_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1521/26675377316_b34b812e87_b.jpg

Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to lever the little black plastic plugs out of the centre of the terminals, and you'll reveal the holes into which the 4mm banana plugs fit. Even better than a screwdriver is a pair of small needlenose pliers like the ones below, with which you can grip the black plugs by their edges and pull them out.

71Tp0t%2Bka%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Gray

spiny norman said:
kukulec said:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1630/26098019183_a1253d8933_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1521/26675377316_b34b812e87_b.jpg

Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to lever the little black plastic plugs out of the centre of the terminals, and you'll reveal the holes into which the 4mm banana plugs fit. Even better than a screwdriver is a pair of small needlenose pliers like the ones below, with which you can grip the black plugs by their edges and pull them out.

Though you could easily argue that it don't take a lot of working out, with the amount of people that encounter this 'problem', it wouldn't hurt the manufacturers to mention it would it?

Of course, the bungs are fitted as an EU 'safety' measure aren't they? Didn't they think people could try to insert Euro 2-pin mains plugs or something?

June 23rd can't come soon enough. Sadly we'll probably still be in dealing with this sort of absolute nonsense for ever more.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Gray said:
Though you could easily argue that it don't take a lot of working out, with the amount of people that encounter this 'problem', it wouldn't hurt the manufacturers to mention it would it?

I think the old story goes that manufacturers couldn't say you could remove the plugs, as that would contravene EU safety regs: the way round it is for the supplying retailer or whoever to point out to the buyer that it can be done.

Gray said:
Of course, the bungs are fitted as an EU 'safety' measure aren't they? Didn't they think people could try to insert Euro 2-pin mains plugs or something?

The concern was more about consumers inserting banana plugs into European-style mains sockets, though putting bungs in the terminals on amps and speakers and yet still allowing banana plugs to be sold doesn't really seem to address the problem.

Gray said:
June 23rd can't come soon enough. Sadly we'll probably still be in dealing with this sort of absolute nonsense for ever more.

As you were, Mr Farridge. ;-)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
kukulec said:
Thank you, it is working!!! To control, I listen the Big gun from AC/DC, and the solo is coming from the right, am I correct?

You'd need to check that with gel: Australians dressed as schoolboys are somewhat out of my field of expertise.

Gray

spiny norman said:
Gray said:

I think the old story goes that manufacturers couldn't say you could remove the plugs, as that would contravene EU safety regs: the way round it is for the supplying retailer or whoever to point out to the buyer that it can be done.

Gray said:

The concern was more about consumers inserting banana plugs into European-style mains sockets, though putting bungs in the terminals on amps and speakers and yet still allowing banana plugs to be sold doesn't really seem to address the problem.

Gray said:

As you were, Mr Farridge. ;-)

We could all agree that any sane adult connecting a banana plug to a mains socket deserves what he gets. But for a curious toddler, that might have spent a couple of years watching people inserting mains plugs, there is a real risk of harm.

It's probably the case that bunging the speaker binding posts has reduced the amount of banana plugs in circulation (after all, how many punters never discover the holes!)

So the EU were well intentioned and damned if the did, damned if they didn't.

Never mind Farrige Spiny, I'll be voting to remain in next. (On second thoughts, there's more chance of TrevC buying a set of R.A. Cable Elevators)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so it is the first day of the system, and it will working during several days in a row to break in. Is it normal that the bass is thinner because of that? I am also waiting for a new QED interconnect cable; until that time I use an old little cable of my cheap active speakers. Can I expect a better sound from the new cables?

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
A new noob question: when I want to listen the headphones through 'phones', the speakers are still working. Do you have any idea why and how can I only listen music trough headphones?

rainsoothe

kukulec said:
Ok, so it is the first day of the system, and it will working during several days in a row to break in. Is it normal that the bass is thinner because of that? I am also waiting for a new QED interconnect cable; until that time I use an old little cable of my cheap active speakers. Can I expect a better sound from the new cables?

QED XT40 has pretty strong bass capabilities, so if bass performance doesn't improve, it's something else :p Try playing Daft Punk - "Giorgio by Moroder", see how that fairs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts