Please help me spend my money

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am a new to this site and have been reading for about 2 weeks on starting to build a hi-fi again. There is so combinations of what goes with what and which goes with which that's it's making my head dizzy.:)

At first I was going to purchase the marantz pm6003, cd6003 with a set of tannoy or mordant short floor standers and a project debut III, but after a very lot of reading and a pointless trip to richer sounds in Edinburgh, I realised that I need a lot of help in deciding what to buy. So I kept reading these forums and found out excellent information on speaker setups, amps etc but still don't know what to buy, where to buy or what to get second hand of eBay?
I don't mind getting stuff on eBay or used, I really need help on what to get and where

I like floor staining speakers but with that many low watt amps to power them to a good potential, I feel more inclined to get a more powerful amp. Or get really good bookshelf speakers like quad l121,s or m/a bx2,s, aghhh, my heads spinning lol

I have a budget to get me started of around £1200, for amp cd player and speakers.(or might get 2 decent ones and get another part next week)

I would be very grateful if someone can help me decide, suggestions or point me in the right direction.

I listen to various music from pink floyd, eagles, fleetwood mac, Metallica, queen, dj tiesto and the foo's Many thanks Lisa

matthewpiano

A really good budget set-up would be either:

Marantz CD6003/PM6003 with Monitor Audio BX2, Monitor Audio BX5 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (or the 10.3 floorstander for that matter). If you go for the BX2 or 10.1 also budget for some good stands (Atacama are always good) and don't forget cables. Don't go too far with cables - Chord Co. CrimsonPlus interconnects and Chord Co. Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable is ample. This would give you a superb system on which you could enjoy a huge range of music. I still think the Marantz 6003 components are the best at their price point and very difficult to improve on without spending quite a bit more.

I would start by auditioning something along these lines. Use music you enjoy listening to and a representative selection of the styles you like. Then, once you benchmark what a system like this can do, try listening to what happens if you go for better components. This is best done by only changing one item at a time IMO so you can hear exactly what is doing what!

T

the record spot

Lisa, if you're in Edinburgh, check out the Cash Converters just opposite Chambers Street, along from Richer Sounds. They had some Q Acoustics 1050i speakers and they're well worth chasing. They're going to deliver the sound you like and I doubt they'll be there long. £175, 30 day warranty (might've been 60 actually). In great nick, better than most of the speakers in RS and with 92db sensitivity, you could partner them with one of the lower powered amps like the one you mentioned and they'll sing nicely. They'll withstand many an upgrade as well.

Had I not owned the speakers I do, I'd have bought them then and there. As it is, I'm happy recommending them to anyone and particularly your taste in music (similar to mine).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lisa, just to add to your confusion, I would recommend the following:

Rega Apollo CD + Rega Brio-R Amp + MA Bronze BX5 (Rega RS1 would be my choice, but are not floorstanders). It's slightly over budget, but will be very hard to beat for the money.

If you have to budget, keep the Rega CD and Amp and get cheaper speakers that can be upgraded later if necessary.

Cno

A

Anonymous

That's a lovely budget to play with; more so if you're happy with 2nd hand items

For me, my money would be on either an Arcam Alpha 10, FMJ A32 or A85; NAD C355BEE, Musical Fidelity XA200 or Cyrus 8VS2 integrated amp, Rega Apollo or an Arcam CD192 CD player and either Monitor Audio BX5, RS6, RX2, QUAD 22L2 or 21L2 or B&W 684 speakers

Speaker cable: Chord Carnival Silverscreen would be spot on as would a Chord Crimson interconnect

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your quick replys, I used to have a nad 3020 amp and an arcam cd player with b&w 302's. It was a gr8 setup at the time and probably still is. I just think nad are very ugly systems but do have exceptional performance.
I like the looks of the marantz pm6003, cd6003 but the cd player is very hard to find and don't know whether to wait till September to get the new pm6004!
I also have a lot of rare and mint unplayed vinyl such as the dark side of the moon, the wall, let's dance and queen.
I noticed that some amps don't have any phono inputs. The marantz has an mm input which I don't really know what the difference is between ones with mm and Mc, do these make a difference or would I need a phono pre amp?
When I was at richer sounds last week it was a nightmare. After 2 hours of traffic and going round the same streets lost trying to find a parking space i eventually found one. The guy in richer sounds was quite abrupt and really too busy to help, with only myself in the shop! I was trying to ask him about purchasing a separates system but he was very ignorant and I felt that he could not be bothered. I asked him about the marantz but he told me it was discontinued even after mentioning to him that it is still on their website, but he says that that was the newer model pm5004. The pm6003 IS still on their website on offer.
I'll check cash convertors out for the speakers, but I also like the quad l121's
Is there anything on eBay that anyone has seen that would fit?

Once again, many thanks for your advice and is much appreciated, I've had more progress and answers today than in the past few weeks by joining this excellent forum :) Lisa

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your system of the Nad 3020 (I remember it well) with the Arcam and the B&Ws would have been "warm and musical". The Rega stuff majors on musicality and enjoyment, with the Brio-R having a MM phono stage; it has just been declared as one of the best amps in its price by WHF this month.

Again the Rega Apollo is a must consider at your budget.

The Rega speakers would also have been designed to work with these, so no issue there.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Hi, I checked cash convertors online but the speakers are no longer there :(

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
There's an almost new Naim Nait XS amp on the 'Bay at the moment that could form the heart of a great system. If you end up not liking it, would be easy to re-sell.

T

the record spot

If you like floostanders (the Quad 12Ls aren't, they're larger standmounters), but the Qs will deliver more bass than anything else listed so far. That frees up a lot of your budget for a better amp and means you're not restricted to the ones listed in your original message. The 1050i apparently works extremely well with the Leema Pulse II amp which you can get for around £700. Maybe less if Sevenoaks has it for a better price in their Brighton branch. Worth checking. You'll pick up a decent CD player for that, or just go for something like Sony BDP-S370 or S380 which is a fine player for the money.

EdiT: Incidentally, my recommendation for a retailer would be to *** down to Morrison Street, just up from Haymarket Station and pop into The Home Cinema Centre. Nick, Chris and the team might be able to help you out.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd second the 1050s - I still have a pair of these waiting for a room, after upgrading to CM8s. But the 1050s were "eye-openers" - highly recommend them.

matthewpiano

The Qs aren't a cure-all. I used to own the 1030i floorstander and found the treble performance to be quite lacking - a bit messy and splashy. Integration wasn't great either. Very capable speakers in some ways but not something I would happily recommend to someone without them having the chance to audition them with the equipment that will make up the rest of the system.

I still think the OP should start off by doing some auditioning, starting with a good quality 'affordable' set-up and trying 'better' options once she has a benchmark. For somebody who is already confused I'm not sure that trying to assemble a system using bits from here, there and everywhere is a great idea.

Lisatheoneandonly said:
Hi, I am a new to this site and have been reading for about 2 weeks on starting to build a hi-fi again. There is so combinations of what goes with what and which goes with which that's it's making my head dizzy.:) At first I was going to purchase the marantz pm6003, cd6003 with a set of tannoy or mordant short floor standers and a project debut III, but after a very lot of reading and a pointless trip to richer sounds in Edinburgh, I realised that I need a lot of help in deciding what to buy. So I kept reading these forums and found out excellent information on speaker setups, amps etc but still don't know what to buy, where to buy or what to get second hand of eBay? I don't mind getting stuff on eBay or used, I really need help on what to get and where I like floor staining speakers but with that many low watt amps to power them to a good potential, I feel more inclined to get a more powerful amp. Or get really good bookshelf speakers like quad l121,s or m/a bx2,s, aghhh, my heads spinning lol I have a budget to get me started of around £1200, for amp cd player and speakers.(or might get 2 decent ones and get another part next week) I would be very grateful if someone can help me decide, suggestions or point me in the right direction. I listen to various music from pink floyd, eagles, fleetwood mac, Metallica, queen, dj tiesto and the foo's Many thanks Lisa

Have you thought about active speakers. Not heard any personally, but many on here rate them very highly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-11L-Active-Monitor-Speakers-Rosewood-x-rare-NEW-/330591256673?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4cf8c64061

A

Anonymous

Op, lol I'm 30 ;) I've a look at the pulseII and it does look like a gr8 amp, so many to chose from

A

Anonymous

Internet Radio Streaming is already taking off. It enables users to choose gadgets that can play various computing apps like iTunes, Napster and many Online Radio stations on gadgets like Hi Fi's.
AirPlay is a protocol developed by Apple that allows devices to wirelessly stream audio, video, and photos. Apple has begun to license the audio-streaming portion of the technology for use in third-party devices.Other companies have come with similar technologies. Some of the Hi Fi systems are purposely built to connect to multiple Online services. This site has a list 12 Hi Fi Devices With Technologies That Have Changed The Way We Enjoy Music
http://battleofthegeeks.blogspot.com/2011/08/12-hi-fi-devices-with-technologies-that.htmlhttp://battleofthegeeks.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-20-shopping-and-comparison-websites.html

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
All good advise can i just say your budget of £1200 will get you a good budget set up, try to avoid second hand or ebaY I KNOW YOU CAN SAVE CASH BUT, if you are new to hi-fi you must and i mean must go and audition and listen for yourself for your money you could get a nice marantz nad rotel ect set up, all very good kit but they have lets say an in house sound, please go audition a few set ups then decide, and if you go to a local dealer you should get a good warranty and after sales service you may find mix and match may be better for you for example iv got an arcam cd 73 cd player with a rotel ra05 se amp, with a pair of monitor audio br5, the reason is i love the detail of the arcam player but the rotel amp has the timing and pace i prefer with the br5 moniotor audio being goog all rounders... and make sure you budget for some quality cables speaker and interconnect but £1200 should see you right for a good system hope this helps

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
The Qs aren't a cure-all. I used to own the 1030i floorstander and found the treble performance to be quite lacking - a bit messy and splashy. Integration wasn't great either. Very capable speakers in some ways but not something I would happily recommend to someone without them having the chance to audition them with the equipment that will make up the rest of the system.

I still think the OP should start off by doing some auditioning, starting with a good quality 'affordable' set-up and trying 'better' options once she has a benchmark. For somebody who is already confused I'm not sure that trying to assemble a system using bits from here, there and everywhere is a great idea.

I didn't suggest that the Q was a cure-all and we're talking about the 1050i not the 1030i. I'd lean towards Noel Keywood's review of the 1050i where he recommended the partnership with the Leema Pulse II amp. The 1050i doesn't suffer from this splashy issue you refer to and of course, speaker positioning and partnership with certain amps and source music will also have an impact on this, so this can often be mitigated. I understand the 2050 does have a lively treble, but then, as you'll know Matthew, many budget speakers - and you've been through a few - have this issue as well, so singling out the Qs in the absence of the rest is a tad unfair.

matthewpiano

The tweeter is the same in both the 1030i and the 1050i RS so it is a pertinent observation. I agree that splashy treble can be an issue for a lot of budget speakers but the Qs are particularly ragged in this area and bettered by the likes of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 and the Monitor Audio BX5. In fact the treble was even better on the Diamond 8.3+ floorstanders that I still have tucked away. Whilst such an issue can be lessened with careful partnering that tweeter just isn't as good as some others.

I'm not rubbishing the Qs. They are very talented in some respects. I am merely pointing out that they can be a bit ragged sounding, and this is alluded to in an otherwise very positive review by HFC. This might not bother the OP but it is good to be aware of these pitfalls especially when better all-round performance is now available on the new market. In fact, on the 2nd hand market, the OP could find a good pair of Mission 752s for not much more than the Qs and, as you know very well yourself, they are a much better speaker. Despite this, however, I maintain my advice that the OP would be much better visiting a good dealer like The Home Cinema Centre you suggest, and letting them help her put a great sounding new budget set-up together through auditioning.

PS I also think that the idea of using a Sony Blu-Ray player through an amp like the Leema is a recipe for disaster. I've got one myself and I've tried it as an audio source and it falls well short of any of my CD players. Even just used as a transport into a DAC it has shortcomings due to having a noisier transport than a conventional player.

T

the record spot

Sound quality issues are non-existant for me with the Sony. A solid player in that regard. The transport problems I have noted, lkewise the lack of direct track access. Otherwise, it's a good player. Partnered with a good DAC, it's a cost effective solution if you just play entire albums from start to finish (as I do), but not for everyone.

EDIT: Actually, MP, it's a less pertinent observation - Noel Keywood's review specifically did not mention splashy treble in the 1050i - plus, as it's a taller speaker than your 1030i by some margin, the positioning will affect the end audible result. All of this can be mitigated with good positioning and sympathetic partnering. "Splashy" isn't the word that springs to mind and much of that is down, if it were, to much of the current crop of electronics that get fed through modern speakers which are on the brighter side of neutral and as much to blame as anything else IMO.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Lisa, just to add to your confusion, I would recommend the following: Rega Apollo CD + Rega Brio-R Amp + MA Bronze BX5 (Rega RS1 would be my choice, but are not floorstanders). It's slightly over budget, but will be very hard to beat for the money. If you have to budget, keep the Rega CD and Amp and get cheaper speakers that can be upgraded later if necessary. Cno

CnoEvil took the words right out of my mouth, apparently Rega are going to be relesasing the apollo in half size like the brio-R, So my choice would be the NEW Brio-R amp with the NEW apollo cd player (when released), speaker wise the Rega RS1's are the perfect match IMO, if you did want floorstanders then my advise would be to look at buying them second hand.

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
Sound quality issues are non-existant for me with the Sony. A solid player in that regard. The transport problems I have noted, lkewise the lack of direct track access. Otherwise, it's a good player. Partnered with a good DAC, it's a cost effective solution if you just play entire albums from start to finish (as I do), but not for everyone.

EDIT: Actually, MP, it's a less pertinent observation - Noel Keywood's review specifically did not mention splashy treble in the 1050i - plus, as it's a taller speaker than your 1030i by some margin, the positioning will affect the end audible result. All of this can be mitigated with good positioning and sympathetic partnering. "Splashy" isn't the word that springs to mind and much of that is down, if it were, to much of the current crop of electronics that get fed through modern speakers which are on the brighter side of neutral and as much to blame as anything else IMO.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree, both about the Qs and NK's reviews.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
It may not be what you were looking for, and as far as I'm aware they are only available from the manufacturer, but I recently purchased some AVI ADM9.1T actives. Obviously having the amplifier built in, but also have a pretty good DAC, I just use my macbook straight into these (occasionally via Airport Express) and they sound better than any seperate system I have heard even close to the sort of money you pay for them (£1125) Obviously if you are really looking and spinning discs you'll have to get a CD player still, Which may send you a little over, but I think they are well worth it.

Here's the site if you're interested

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

A

Anonymous

robg1976 said:
All good advise can i just say your budget of £1200 will get you a good budget set up, try to avoid second hand or ebaY I KNOW YOU CAN SAVE CASH BUT, if you are new to hi-fi you must and i mean must go and audition and listen for yourself for your money you could get a nice marantz nad rotel ect set up, all very good kit but they have lets say an in house sound, please go audition a few set ups then decide, and if you go to a local dealer you should get a good warranty and after sales service you may find mix and match may be better for you for example iv got an arcam cd 73 cd player with a rotel ra05 se amp, with a pair of monitor audio br5, the reason is i love the detail of the arcam player but the rotel amp has the timing and pace i prefer with the br5 moniotor audio being goog all rounders... and make sure you budget for some quality cables speaker and interconnect but £1200 should see you right for a good system hope this helps

I, in some ways, agree with what you're saying re a new system vs 2nd hand but it appears that the OP isnt new to hifi; just a bit out of date

We all know that you'll get more bang for your buck going 2nd hand and with a majority of the products mentioned being well regarded already; it's a safe bet that a decent system can be easily made

Even if the OP were to go for a new amp; a decent 2nd hand CDP such as the Rega Apollo and 2nd hand speakers such as the Monitor Audio RS6's would still finish a system off very well indeed. The same can be said for any part of the system IMO (i.e. 2nd hand amp, 2nd hand CDP but with new speakers & so on).

A

Anonymous

THESTIG08 said:
CnoEvil said:
Lisa, just to add to your confusion, I would recommend the following: Rega Apollo CD + Rega Brio-R Amp + MA Bronze BX5 (Rega RS1 would be my choice, but are not floorstanders). It's slightly over budget, but will be very hard to beat for the money. If you have to budget, keep the Rega CD and Amp and get cheaper speakers that can be upgraded later if necessary. Cno

CnoEvil took the words right out of my mouth, apparently Rega are going to be relesasing the apollo in half size like the brio-R, So my choice would be the NEW Brio-R amp with the NEW apollo cd player (when released), speaker wise the Rega RS1's are the perfect match IMO, if you did want floorstanders then my advise would be to look at buying them second hand.

There are, currently, some decent 2nd hand Rega RS5's on eBay currently. They'd go very well with the Rega Brio-R and a 2nd hand Rega Apollo CDP

BUT...

With the OP's taste in music; the Rega RS5's may be found wanting a bit more with regards to depth of bass etc... I'd be looking at some Monitor Audio BX5's or 2nd hand RS6's to finish the system around a Brio-R

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
CnoEvil said:

On the other hand it might be possible to pick up the "old" Apollo at a bargin price, freeing up extra for speakers (eg. RS3).....worth looking out for. If this isn't the case the new version should be the way to go.

This is what happened to the Leema Pulse, which was then available at half price, making it one hell of a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts