Please help me decide

Om

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
In the Hi-Fi industry? NoQuad or Croft?Decision Time

speakers - Harbeth SHL5 Plus - decided

So - after a series of auditions with different sources and pre/power/integrated amplifier combinations with the Harbeth SHL5, I have excluded a few options (all of them excellent in their own right - but NOT for me) - no Devialet, definitely NO Naim, no Pathos.

I am now torn between two different combinations:

1. Quad Elite Pre + Quad QSP - used a Quad Elite CDP as source

2. Croft 25R pre + Croft 7R power - source Rega Saturn-R

To my ear, the second combo sounded more magical though the Quads were pretty impressive as well. I found the Crofts to be special but I am also tempted by the Quad's features - specially tone/tilt control.

Interested in your views/opinions/suggestions please.

I am also tempted to use Unico CDE or CD Primo as source with either combination. has anyone used these valve CD players with either the Quads or the Crofts? Is it the Cd player which in reality made the difference between the two combinations I auditioned?

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like you should go for the Croft system. It seems that you liked that the best. The differences you heard in the systems is only partially down to the CD players.

The only way to judge the Unico CD player is to try it in one of the systems.

+1 for the Croft setup (if we only have those 2 systems to choose from)

The Quad may have those functions available but I have found in the majority of well-sorted systems they tend to remain unused.

Cannot advise on the Unico CDPs as have never heard them although one would imagine they would be very compatible with the Croft set-up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Om said:
any more views?

The Croft product has a certain 'quality' to the sound that, if it workes for you, is virtually impossible to get elsewhere at anywhere near the price.

I love it, so much as I like the Quad eq, it would be the Croft for me.

Om

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Om said:
any more views?

The Croft product has a certain 'quality' to the sound that, if it workes for you, is virtually impossible to get elsewhere at anywhere near the price.

Any experience of combining the Crofts with Unico CD Priuimo or Unico CDE?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Om said:
davedotco said:
Om said:
any more views?

Any experience of combining the Crofts with Unico CD Priuimo or Unico CDE?

Sorry, no.

I would tend to look for a tonally neutral player but I have not bought a player in 15 years so can't really help in this area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts