Please help - B&O Speaker with strange buzz/distortion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey folks,

Just bought a set of old B&O S30 speakers - but the one speaker had quite an irritating buzz/distortion, so I took them back to old Phillip. He played it loud face down for a while, checked the gasket, and after that was working well. So I ot them back, only to discover the buzz/distortion was back. I then tried the same thing and oce again the problem was gone, only to come back after a short time. He thought there was some grit or something between the coil and cone, as the distortion is definately coming from the 6" woofer. Now the distortion seems to come back when the speaker is played - but if I pump the volume and bass for a couple seconds then return to normal the distortion is gone for a while!?!?!

Does anyone have any idea about what the problem could be?

Your help/advice is much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

atmarama said:
He thought there was some grit or something between the coil and cone

Sorry I believe he thinks something between the coil and the magnet rather than the cone...

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Can you take the driver out the enclosure for a look? It could be something like a loose cable coming off the voice coil, possibly making contact with the spider causing the buzzing noise.

This is the rear of a driver, with the finger pointing at the spider. You can see the wires i'm talking about.

spider-dscn3120.jpg

Edit: Might be worth looking on ebay and buying a second pair of speakers for spares. There are some bargains on there at the moment.

A

Anonymous

MattSPL said:
Can you take the driver out the enclosure for a look? It could be something like a loose cable coming off the voice coil, possibly making contact with the spider causing the buzzing noise.

This is the rear of a driver, with the finger pointing at the spider. You can see the wires i'm talking about.

spider-dscn3120.jpg

Edit: Might be worth looking on ebay and buying a second pair of speakers for spares. There are some bargains on there at the moment.

Ye I actually took the woofer out and checked those wires, seemed fine, buzz was definately coming from the speaker itself - anyway, took them back to Phillip now... It's a pity as they had a really nice sound :boohoo:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts