please help an idiot

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
i will try to keep this simple.i started to download new firmeware for airport express but was short of time and cancelled half way.since this happened the airport utillity can not find the airport express,keeps telling me to rescan,i have done 50 times!at the same time as this my airfoil crashed and when i try to relaunch it it just crashes!

is there some one who can talk me out of this mess?please help if poss,im really pi__ed off with my self as all was working great before i tried to update firmeware.

Help please!

im using a white mac if that helps

John Duncan

Do a hard reboot on the AE (paperclip in the little button on the bottom while you turn it on IIRC) and set up your network again. I always decline to update the firmware unless I can be bothered moving the AE and wiring it into the iMac with ethernet, because I find it *never* works trying to do it over wireless.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
did that jd and same old thing,when airport utillity looks for the express it finds nothing,no picture on the left hand side of the express,so anoyed that this has happened,it had been asking me for day for update and i always said no,untill today.anymore ideas please

A

Anonymous

why not uninstall aex, reset the unit and reinstall? then get the new firmware during the install..

A

Anonymous

i don't know how you would do it on a mac. on windows it's start-control panel-add/remove programmes..

hopefully jd will fill you in
emotion-21.gif

edit... make sure you have the disc that came with the aex before you uninstall anything..

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
An alternative solution but probably an alternative problem.

The last time I went through similar symptoms, re-booting my BT Hub sorted it. Just something else to consider.

A

Anonymous

Were you downloading the firmware to the airport express when you cancelled?

Also, try connecting directly to the Airport Express using an ethernet cable.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
DavidNorway:
when you say reboot you mean reset or turn off then on the main internet router?

thanks

There is a button for me to press on the unit but unplugging & re-plugging (wait 20 seconds) would achieve the same.

iMark

Please don't forget to update your Airport Utility on the Mac first before updating the firmware on your AEX.

I have discovered that the AE is a bit flaky when you take it somewhere else (like I did last night when I took it to a friend's home) when you try to change the settings.

What worked was to reset the AE with a paperclip and then change the settings. When I got home I did the same thing and was able to reset it to home settings for our network. I didn't have to use an ethernet cable but I do know that you have to check 'set up over WLAN' before you can set up the AE wirelessly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts