Help me to design a new multiroom system please!

Pghstochaj

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I currently have the following set up:

Main bathroom: Squeezebox receiver, small low powered mini amplifier, speakers in the ceiling.
Bedroom: Squeezebox classic, denon amplifier, B&W 602
Living room: Squeezebox classic, Pioneer AV receiver (only used for the squeezebox really), mission speakers.
Kitchen: Squeezebox receiver, denon amplifier, speakers above kitchen cabinets.

The problem is, I don't use the squeezebox system really. My wife finds it complicated. I would much rather use my iphone as the music source. I have therefore considered bluetooth and Apple Airplay as then I might actually listen to music. I think that the Sonos is overpriced and even more so if I want to play direct from the iphone. I also don't like that the kitchen and bedroom amps use 20 watt at idle and I always forget to turn them off! I am not seeking perfect sound, just good sound with a very high level of ease of use.

I have seen good deals on the B&W Z2 so was thinking about going down this route. For example, I could use a Zeppelin in the living room, a new Z2 in the study and then other Airplay devices elsewhere. I understand it might allow me to have multiroom audio similar to Squeezebox but playing from my iphone rather than a computer or NAS. I saw that Denon make a unit called the CEOL so I was wondering if I could buy 2 x CEOLs for the living room and bedroom, these have low power consumption at idle. The bathroom could be fed by an airport express into my mini amplifier (2 watt at idle). I could listen to podcasts easily (this is difficult with the Squeezebox).

So what's the downside? Is the CEOL bad? Does the mixture of devices suggested above just not work well? Any other suggestions please?

Thanks for your help,

Pghstochaj

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Paul. said:
If you are using AirPlay for more than a couple of speakers it can put significant strain on your network. Use a proper multi room setup with its own network.

hi,

thanks for the reply. In reality it would never be more than 2 units and 99% of the time it would be one unit. Does this change anything?

It's more about having the ability to have music in multiple areas from my phone rather than lots of multiroom ing.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts