Help please - Airport Express, will this work?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone help me, please? I'm looking for a way to stream and am not completely sure what I'm doing.

My broadband modem is by my telly, in the opposite corner of my room from my hifi. That's where they're staying. If I wanted to stream music, would this work, or is there a better way?

Buy homeplugs - plug one into modem, the other into an Apple Airport Express by my hifi. Connect optical out on Airport Express to (very good quality) DAC and then to amp.

Then link MacBook Pro and/or iPhone via wifi to Airport Express - hey presto.

Or have I got that completely wrong. Do I even need the homeplugs?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

baldy38 said:
Hi

Can anyone help me, please? I'm looking for a way to stream and am not completely sure what I'm doing.

My broadband modem is by my telly, in the opposite corner of my room from my hifi. That's where they're staying. If I wanted to stream music, would this work, or is there a better way?

Buy homeplugs - plug one into modem, the other into an Apple Airport Express by my hifi. Connect optical out on Airport Express to (very good quality) DAC and then to amp.

Then link MacBook Pro and/or iPhone via wifi to Airport Express - hey presto.

Or have I got that completely wrong. Do I even need the homeplugs?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

I use my Apple TV 2 to stream my music via AirPlay to my EPOZ speakers down stairs (Macbook & wifi router are upstairs)

I connect the ATV2 via RCA cables and a FiiO D3 DAC but have used an MF M1DAC and a Firestone Audio Spitfire MkII DAC in the past.

It's very easy to set up and if your ATV is close enough; you can connect it to your TV and stream movies as well etc...

Otherwise the Airport express will do exactly the same; just use wifi and iTunes/Airplay and connect it to your hifi via the optical out using a DAC (with optical in/RCA out) and you're all sorted :D

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Assuming your broadband modem is attached to a WiFi router, you won't need the home plugs.

Otherwise everything sounds right.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
baldy38 said:
Thanks very much - and the benefit of the Apple TV over the Airport Express would be what?

You can stream video/photos to a TV from Apple devices. You can also get Netflix through it and probably other services as well - I'm not really an expert.

I do own one and sometimes use it to stream from the Spotify iPad app.

A

Anonymous

Apple TV is brilliant if you use it for movies (bought & rented via iTunes), Netflix, YouTube etc...

Plus you can stream all your music by it then as well.

if you don't need the movie side then its still a good streamer & more or less the same price as the current Airport Express plus, IMO, they look much better 8)

A

Anonymous

They would if you dont have wifi

If you do have wifi then it'd be worth trying first to see how stable it ios before buying homeplugs

Mine never drops; my Virgin SuperHub and Neatgear N300 router are upstairs in the home office; my ATV2 and EPOZ system is downstairs and its never dropped :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Unless you live in a barn or a bunker the ATV will be fine. The aex would extend the wifi signal if you did have a problem with reception on ATV, but you shouldn't .

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
baldy38 said:
Wouldn't the home plugs ensure a more stable signal and no drop-outs?

I use 2 x Airport Express (not the latest version) and an ATV3, all with Homeplug connections, to stream from iTunes to three different systems around the house. Wireless was dreadful, probably because of distance and thick walls, but fully wired with Homeplugs works superbly well.

My reason for swapping a third Airport Express for the ATV3 was so that I could stream iPhoto from my iMac to the television. I only found out last week that I could stream iPhoto and iTunes at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts