Please help a novice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just ordered the samsung le46f87 and have the 40gig ps3. As I can now play my dvd's through the ps3 I'm looking to upgrade my 'all in one' samsung home cinema system.

I have seen this offer on http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_ONK605_TANNOYARENA.php for:

Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver
(RRP £400)

Tannoy Arena Lite 5.1 speakers
+ 5 grilles (inc centre grille!)
+ 5 wall brackets (RRP £1205)

30m QED Original speaker cable (RRP £90)

10 gold plated 4mm plugs (RRP £10)

5m Subwoofer lead (RRP £15)

1m Digital optical lead (RRP £10)

1m Digital coaxial lead (RRP £10)

On-screen menu lead (RRP £10)

Total RRP - £1750
Hot Deal - £1198

Is this a good deal and would it be a good system to go with my tv and ps3 or is there something else more suitable? I've seen in the mag that the Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver is a great product but can't find anything on the speakers. The website doing the deal says they are better than the KEF KHT3005SE's but they would as they're trying to sell them so some impartial advice would be really appreciated.

Or am I going a bit 'over the top' for a system to go with the ps3's bluray player?

A

Anonymous

Ive just ordered sonys davis10 home cinema package which won hi fis product of the year in its category, for playing blu rays thru my PS3. £600 RRP..got it for £388 delivered thru empire direct !!!

A

Anonymous

Would that be sufficient for the ps3 or would the setup I mentioned in my 1st post still be a lot better. I went into comet today and they had a demo room for some receivers and surround sound speakers and compared to my £350 samsung they were amazing.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Onkyo/Tannoy sounds like a good deal - not over the top at all. The Onkyo 605 is our Product of the Year and performs brilliantly; we loved the original Tannoy Arena 5.1 package, although must admit I haven't heard the Lite version.

The Sony DAV IS10 is a great little package (and another Award winner), but the Onkyo/Tannoy package should outperform it and will really make the most of the sound from your PS3. Bear in mind that the Onkyo will also handle the new high-def audio formats, unlike the Sony, so you'll get the best sound from Blu-ray discs.

And as you can already play DVDs through your PS3, you don't really need the DVD player in the Sony. I'd go for the Onkyo/Tannoy set-up if it's within your budget.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Stop press! Tannoy Arena Lite package reviewed in January issue, out next Thursday. Without revealing the verdict, I'd vote for that Onkyo/Tannoy deal....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, just one last question though-

Is it worth paying an extra £200 to get the Onkyo TX-SR605 with the KEF KHT-3005SE, this offer comes with a £300 QED cable pack for a total of £1400 or stick with the 1st deal?

I'll be sure to get the mag and see whats said, looking forward to reading about my new tv as well

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OOOOOH, that's a corker - the Tannoys are up against the KEF KHT-3005SEs in that very issue, as part of a style speaker package Supertest....

Do you have to buy before Thursday? If you do, then it's worth remembering the KEFs won Product of the Year...

A

Anonymous

Perfect timing then, think I'll have a read of the mag before I go any further, thanks

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Darn it - I can't find a copy of the magazine anymore and I'm in the process of upgrading my home cinema system and I found the same two deals, the Onkyo plus tannoys at http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotsystems_TANNOYARENA.htm

and the onkyo plus the kefs at http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/product/onkyo-tx-sr-705-kef-3005-se-51-speaker-package?

So it would appear that I have exactly the same dilema as you do. Did you decide in the end?

What was the verdict in the mag? I'm pretty clueless about all this. I think the styling on them both is pretty cool but the Sub on the kefs styled much better than the tannoys. However, it's performance I'm interested in really so.... which one?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Tom

A

Anonymous

The speaker deal looks sound at £799 from Creative, but you should get a better deal with the Onkyo. The PS3 will be able to provide all the audio info you will need for the present so, as long as you're happy, go for it. I'm slightly envious of you, and others, that have the space and/or absence of young children to be able to put together a separates package. I also have the Dav-is10 which I love, but I know my pioneer screen deserves better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts