HOME CINEMA HELP FOR A NOVICE PLEASE!!!!

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a total novice to this sort of thing and would appreciate some help in getting the best from my system.

To cut a long story short, 5 years ago I was impressed enough to buy a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III with a Panasonic SA-XR50 amplifier after hearing a demonstration. I was young and stupid and rushed straight in head first to buy the system without reading reviews or listening to other systems. To be honest, I've never had the best out of the system and have never used it to its full potential. I now want that to change...

I understand that most people here don't rate Bose but unfortunately I'm now stuck with it as a new baby is due soon and I can't justify replacing it just now. I just want to set it up properly and use it to its full potential. Therefore I have the following questions:

1. I'd like to upgrade the amplifier to one that can work in conjunction with my Panasonic BD-60 Blu-Ray player, Samsung HD TV and Sky HD box. I can spend up to £400 but would prefer less if possible. What amplifier would best compliment this system for HD sound?

2. I only have the standard Bose speaker cables running from my Acoustimass Module to the double-cube speakers and amplifier. I understand from reading reviews that it is not possible to upgrade these to a better standard of cable. Is this true? If not, what cable would improve the system?

3. Is it worth upgrading my standard HDMI cables? Does it make a difference to picture/sound? If so, what cable is recommended?

4. My Bose double-cube speakers are currently on stands. Is it true that the sound will improve if they are wall mounted or is this a myth originating from a misguided work colleague?

Ideally, in a few years I'll properly audition a new home cinema speaker system and make an informed choice rather than a rushed one! However, I have to make the best of what I have meantime and would really appreciate some assistance with this.

Thanks,

Gareth

gareth133: 1. I'd like to upgrade the amplifier to one that can work in conjunction with my Panasonic BD-60 Blu-Ray player, Samsung HD TV and Sky HD box. I can spend up to £400 but would prefer less if possible. What amplifier would best compliment this system for HD sound?

A friend of mine has your speakers powered by an Onkyo receiver (606, I think). He's happy with it. This is the updated model. Currently available cheap here. You will be rewarded by better receiver (at least £400-500 range). But if you're limited by budget, look at Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony & Yamaha. Richer Sounds have some last year's models in stock for bargain prices. Like this, for example.

Definitely audition your options before making a purchase, as they all sound different & only you can judge which one you prefer.

2. I only have the standard Bose speaker cables running from my Acoustimass Module to the double-cube speakers and amplifier. I understand from reading reviews that it is not possible to upgrade these to a better standard of cable. Is this true? If not, what cable would improve the system?

As far as I'm aware, you cannot upgrade the Bose cables. But I'm sure Bose cables are of a very good quality.

3. Is it worth upgrading my standard HDMI cables? Does it make a difference to picture/sound?

No. I don't believe that HDMI cables make a difference. This is based on my own experience.

4. My Bose double-cube speakers are currently on stands. Is it true that the sound will improve if they are wall mounted or is this a myth originating from a misguided work colleague?

It depends on a lot of factors. If the stands are of a good quality & are able to eliminate vibrations, you shouldn't notice much difference. Compare both options & see if there's any difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts