Playing vinyl through av amplifier

asvent

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi this may sound stupid but here goes, I have connected my turntable through dedicated phono plug on back of my av amp, what I have found is that I always have to increase the volume after using blu-ray player, now here's the rub, is it possible to put a pre-amplifier between the dedicated phono plug on the AVamp and the turn table ? if so will it make the sound any better.

Turntable =Technics 1210 Mk2 with Grado Prestige Black 1 Cartridge

Av Amplifier =Yamaha RX-V765

Pre-Amplifier = Nad PP2

Regards Alan

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Well nearly anything's possible but I doubt it will make it sound better. A Phono Pre-Amp could be used, but then it wouldn't connect to the Phono input on the amp, but one of the line-level inputs (eg CD). Are you currently using the NAD Pre-amp and if so how?

asvent

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Petherick,

Many thanks for your reply and advise, in answer to your question ,no the NAD pre-amp is not in use at the moment, I bought this for a previous AV Amp that had no dedicated Phono jacks, I have thought of using the pre-amp in say the CD jacks, which I may try to see if there is any improvement, my one regret with that is I would have to go switch past the dedicated phono postion on the front of the amp to get to CD, but then if it improves things that's a small price to pay, Is there any other way the turntable sound quality can be improved? maybe extra amps/amps inline?

Speakers in system

Front AE Linears

Centre Ruark Dialologue 1

Rears Wharfdale Diamond 9s

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My AV (Arcam AVR400) does not have a Phono input. My set up is Turntable to Phono Stage (Rega Fono) to line level input on the AVR. Works a treat with no discernable differences in volume levels.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Asvent. If you go to page 80 of the manual for the Yamaha, you'll find a section called 'Volume Trim'. It appears that you can adjust relative levels for all sources by +/- 6dB. This should sort it!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, the 1210's really need a mixer and you can control the volume through this. I run mine through the cd input rather than phono. Remember the 1210 is a dj tool and needs that extra control through a mixer but will probably look daft with just 1 deck.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Or You need a phono preamplifier for the magnetic cartridge of the SL1210. Most mixers have them, and a mixer will also give you some tone control options which is nice to have when dealing with LPs.

asvent

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much to all of you that have taken there time to give such good advise,I am going to rerun the turntable through my Nad pp2 pre-amp ,disregard the phono at the back and use say the cd outs,I will report on how i get on ,Many thanks again everyone Regards Alan

asvent

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone for your help I have connected the turntable through my NAD pp2 pre-amp to the Audio 1 on av amp seems to sound very good Regards Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts