How To Help with Setup - Vinyl player, amp and speakers

Peep1981

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi

Complete novice here. We've gone from a plug n play vinyl player with everything built in (£69 hmv special) to a full new setup after deciding we liked vinyl again and spent over £3k on vinyl in the last year. We had some recommendations and went for:

Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable
NAD d3020v2 Amplifier
Kanto YU6 Speakers

However we are having some issues connecting everything and we have no sound. The manuals are more than useless and we've got nothing to follow to connect all 3 together and now we are debating whether they are compatible, the need for a pre amp etc?

Is there a full guide anywhere? Tried watching loads of various youtube videos but cant seem to find anything.

Peter

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 37
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 39
  • speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 38
  • vinyl.jpg
    vinyl.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 36

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Click on "DOWNLOADS" from the link below for set-up info. You'll also need RCA interconnects for your turntable to connect to your integrated amplifier "phono" input as well as speaker cables for sound to your speakers.

Your turntable will need a ground wire from your turntable "ground" screw terminal to the "ground" screw terminal to your NAD integrated amplifier. A simple single copper wire is all that is needed for this and can be easily purchased at your local hardware store, as can speaker cables & RCA interconnects.

Good luck.

Image 1 & 2 = Speaker Cables
Image 3 = RCA Interconnects
Image 4 = Single Copper Wire

41+y7t5HYlL._AC_SY780_.jpg51wcs2ESnfL._AC_SY780_.jpg41ma63fNZkL._AC_SY780_.jpgView attachment 3230

Attachments

• 51ea0DgWGbS._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    51ea0DgWGbS._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You seem to have bought active/powered speakers when you really want some passive speakers to connect to the Nad amplifier.
I agree. It’s a bit like buying two engines, plus a motorbike and wondering why you don’t have a car!

To Peter: I’m not making fun, honestly, but this is why you should go to a shop for advice. Picking stuff online isn’t how to buy a system - I’m guessing that’s what you did.

You also have two phono amplifier stages - one in the SB version of your turntable, PLUS one in the NAD amplifier (it was added in the mark 2 version). But you only need one.

Can you return the speakers and turntable and start again? The amp is fine, unless you really wanted an all in one system of some sort. Or return everything then pay a visit to Richer Sounds who’ll get you sorted properly?

I agree. It’s a bit like buying two engines, plus a motorbike and wondering why you don’t have a car!

To Peter: I’m not making fun, honestly, but this is why you should go to a shop for advice. Picking stuff online isn’t how to buy a system - I’m guessing that’s what you did.

You also have two phono amplifier stages - one in the SB version of your turntable, PLUS one in the NAD amplifier (it was added in the mark 2 version). But you only need one.

Can you return the speakers and turntable and start again? The amp is fine, unless you really wanted an all in one system of some sort. Or return everything then pay a visit to Richer Sounds who’ll get you sorted properly?
I would agree, even if you could link all that together you would have a sad affair to play decent vinyl through, sad to say.

Reactions: aversaurus
Don't need the amp as the turntable will connect to the line-in on the speakers. There is a phono switch on the turntable as well as another on the speakers. Make sure they are both set to the same thing, i.e. both to Line or both to Phono.
Actually, one needs to be phono and the other line, surely?

I’d not appreciated that even the speakers have a phono stage - so, yes, no NAD amp needed. Three phono stages in one system - that’s surely a record?! (Pun intended). :p

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
You don't need a ground cable from the turntable because it already is, grounded that is

Here's a quote from the owner's manual regarding the RCA connections & Earth ground to the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable:
"Take care to connect the left and right channels correctly. The right channel is usually marked red, the
left channel black or white. The earthing wire of the tonearm lead should be connected to the earth
terminal on your amplifier (if provided)."

Photo 1 shows the Earth ground location on the turntable.
Additionally, the NAD integrated amplifier clearly has a Earth ground terminal as well.
Photo 2 shows the Earth ground terminal location on the amplifier.

Attachments

• vinyl.jpg
    vinyl.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 10
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

pete67

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site

I don't want to make a similar mistake! Plus, my name is also Peter!
I have Klipsch powered speakers. I have not picked out a turntable yet. Do I need to get one without a pre-amp? Please excuse me if this is a silly question.

Gray

I have Klipsch powered speakers. I have not picked out a turntable yet. Do I need to get one without a pre-amp? Please excuse me if this is a silly question.
Not a silly question Peter, welcome.

Have the Klipsch speakers got any input (switchable or otherwise) marked as 'phono'?
That's how you know whether they have a built-in phono preamp.

Have the Klipsch speakers got any input (switchable or otherwise) marked as 'phono'?
Appreciate the input but this is an reasonably old thread and it is always best to start a new one....
Plus I don't know of any powered speaker with an inbuilt phono stage so would say yes a phono preamp is certainly required.
The model number of those Klipsch might be useful.

Reactions: Gray

pete67

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site

Ah! Yes. There is a switch on the back that toggles between line and phono. I'm thinking about one of the Fluance tables. I just didn't want to blow the thing up by using a speaker AND a turntable that has a pre-amp. Is that possible?

Gray

I just didn't want to blow the thing up by using a speaker AND a turntable that has a pre-amp. Is that possible?
Well others have put a phono preamp output into another phono preamp input - and wondered why they got hideously loud, distorted sound :) which wouldn't do speakers any favours at all.

As you've got one in your speakers, you don't need another phono preamp.
However, if you bought a TT with built-in preamp you would just need to ensure only one is being used. In that case you could try both to find out which sounds best before settling on one.

So you want either:
Cartridge direct from a TT > into the 'Phono' input of your Klipsch.
Or:
Cartridge via built-in TT preamp > to the 'Aux Line Input' of your Klipsch.

(Turntables with a built-in preamp will allow you to switch between cartridge direct or via preamp).

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

pete67

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Well others have put a phono preamp output into another phono preamp input - and wondered why they got hideously loud, distorted sound :) which wouldn't do speakers any favours at all.

As you've got one in your speakers, you don't need another phono preamp.
However, if you bought a TT with built-in preamp you would just need to ensure only one is being used. In that case you could try both to find out which sounds best before settling on one.

So you want either:
Cartridge direct from a TT > into the 'Phono' input of your Klipsch.
Or:
Cartridge via built-in TT preamp > to the 'Aux Line Input' of your Klipsch.

(Turntables with a built-in preamp will allow you to switch between cartridge direct or via preamp).
Thank you, that is very helpful. It makes complete sense too that different amps will sound different. You'd think I would know that being a guitar player with multiple amplifiers.
Do you have a favorite 'middle shelf' turntable? I'm not a super collector or audiophile but I do enjoy the vinyl.
I'm looking at the Audio Technica LP60 or the Fluance RT81. Can you recommend any?

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts