Playing Stereo & 5.1 FLAC files via my AV set-up?

orbscure

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Evening all...

I've recently donwloaded the Studio-Quality Stereo FLAC & Studio-Quality 5.1 FLAC versions of Tubular Bells via the Bowers & Wilkins website and would therefore welcome a simple solution on to how I play these files. I have a Dell PC set-up as part of my AV system and Bowers & Wilkins have suggested that:

"both our formats sound best played back from a computer (using Foobar, Songbird or similar software) through a DAC (via optical/digital link) that supports their high bit/sample rates."

How do I achieve this using the Dell PC and the optical or coaxial inputs on my Sony STR-DA2400ES Amp? I'd guess that I need a dedicated DAC connected between the PC and the Amp but what is the best way? Any help or pointers on how best to acheive this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think most DACs can process the 5.1 signal. They might just mix it back to a 2 channel signal.

Some Macs, and some PCs, have an optical output - or rather the headphone output doubles as an optical output. If that were the case for your PC then you could run an optical cable straight to your AV amp. Another option might be a USB to SPIDF converter, so you could take the signal from your PC's USB and feed it into the optical input on your AV amp.

If you had an HDMI output on your PC you could also run that to your AV amp. All of these options would utilize the DAC in your AV amp.

orbscure

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks ID... so, it appears that I have two options:

1. As my PC doesn't have an HDMI socket, I purchase a video card which does and simply connect it to my Amp?

or

2. Purchase a sound card with SPIDF output and connect that to my Amp?

Cheers

Pete

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure if multi channel audio can be passed over optical or coax digital connections. I think that you need a multi channel processor and you could feed it via USB or audio over HDMI.

It's a bandwidth thing.

orbscure

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
We'll soon find out, I've shelled out for a cost effective HDMI Graphics Card and see if that works. If not, then there must be another way for me to stream these files via a DAC to my AV amp...

Pete

orbscure

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Well, that worked a treat... spent around £30 on a new video card with HDMI support and hey presto, I can stream all manner of HD material to my Amp. If only I coulfd solve the buffering issue with BBC iPlayer material, then I'd be one really happy bunny!

Cheers

Pete

smarkgee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
buffering of the iplayer

yes i have had these probs

1. iplayer and itvplayer use "flash player". right click and you can max out the cache. that might help

2. part of my prob was dodgy main memory (yes really) it was causing the graphics to keep checking back on itself and hence requesting extra stuff from mssrs BBC and co. new memory (same spec) no probs (NOT graphics memory)

3. there are of course things to do with your wifi connection (if you use that...don't...use a cable)

4. there are potential probs with your broadband...it won't be the speed. but it could be noise/attenuation/ and there's a few other things to do with adsl that i dont understand too!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts