Planar 3 matched with Goldring

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I am about to pull the trigger on a planar 3. I have a fairly new Goldring E3 cartridge in my current music hall 1.3 turntable. I can save $200 by buying the Planar without the Rega cartridge. What are the thoughts on pairing the E3 with the Planar 3? The Rega cartridge that comes with the Planar does not apper to be an improvement spec wise.

Thanks,

I am not sure whether or not that cartridge may require a change in VTA which, with Rega turntables, is not that easy to do.
Otherwise it should pair rather well.
However, unless you are confident in fitting and aligning a cartridge yourself, I would go for one that has been pre-fitted.
I guess you could ask them at the place you're going to buy the Rega from to install the E3 for you.

Reactions: rainsoothe

daytona600

Rega best with rega cartridges if you wish a replace cartridge Music hall 5.3 or project X1
top models from music hall are made by project

Rega best with rega cartridges if you wish a replace cartridge Music hall 5.3 or project X1

The X1 is probably a better choice than the Rega

rainsoothe

Why do you keep saying that? Rega is most definitely NOT best with Rega cartridges. Even if it were, it's all subjective.

daytona600

Why do you keep saying that? Rega is most definitely NOT best with Rega cartridges

Rega cartridges are only used on rega TTs every other TT is supplied with ortofon , AT , grado , goldring , sumiko , nagoaka
Totally Agree rega sound better with non - rega cartridges

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I am totally baffled trying to select a turntable upgrade over my music hall 1.3. Every review I read says something slightly different - I guess it depends on one's sound preference. I started down this path by purchasing the E3 to upgrade my entry level music hall. I have not been happy with the sound so have decided to upgrade the turntable. At a total loss as to what to purchase in the $1000 usd range.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Pro-Ject x1 arriving tomorrow. Will be working to get it set up with the E3. I have a really good alignment tool and the old school Shure weight measuring tool. Adjusting VTA and azimuth adjustment are new for me. From what I have read adjusting VTA sounds rather straight forward - set tonearm with cartridge installed parallel to record surface when stylus touching the record and then adjust from there based on sound preference?

Azimuth sounds a bit more complicated. Is this something I should just leave alone? It would stand to reason that if good quality control on cartridge manufacturing and tonearm mounting manufacturing - i.e. surfaces are level and square, stylus installed correctly on cartridge - the newly installed stylus should be vertical to the record.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
So arrived - open box to save a few bucks - missing a part and big chip/dent on the back of the of the table. Sending back. Will have to wait a few more days to tinker. First problem I have ever had with an open box.

So arrived - open box to save a few bucks - missing a part and big chip/dent on the back of the of the table. Sending back. Will have to wait a few more days to tinker. First problem I have ever had with an open box.
Sorry it didn't turn out as you expect.
Turntables are often delicate things and you have to use a decent courier if shipping.

Last edited:
Sorry it didn't turn out as you expect.
Turntables are dictated things and you have to use a decent courier if shipping.
You VTA assessment is about right as long the cartridge is at correct tracking weight.
Your alignment protractor helps the azimuth adjustment, I would not consider it hugely critical.
For what it's worth open-box shouldn't mean there are bits missing..... :)

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
So the E3 has a total mass of 6.9g. The tracking weight with the project x1 is for 7.0g-10g counterweight number 46. Project reference table says this weight is not suitable for the E3's weight. Do I need a different counterweight for .1g difference?

To make matters more confusing, the Sumiko Oyster which is what comes on the U.S. project x1 says that weight 46 that comes with the table is also not a match. The oyster is much lighter in total mass than the E3. Have they provided a different counterweight for the U.S. market version with the Sumiko Oyster installed?

Double checked and the provided counter weight is 46 which is not correct for the cartridge installed with the turntable.

Last edited:
So the E3 has a total mass of 6.9g. The tracking weight with the project x1 is for 7.0g-10g counterweight number 46. Project reference table says this weight is not suitable for the E3's weight. Do I need a different counterweight for .1g difference?

To make matters more confusing, the Sumiko Oyster which is what comes on the U.S. project x1 says that weight 46 that comes with the table is also not a match. The oyster is much lighter in total mass than the E3. Have they provided a different counterweight for the U.S. market version with the Sumiko Oyster installed?

Double checked and the provided counter weight is 46 which is not correct for the cartridge installed with the turntable.
I would suggest no. The weights quoted versus those actually obtainable can vary greatly. If you have a good tracking force balance and can get within 0.1g of the recommended tracking force you will be fine.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
New Pro-Ject X1 arrived and I have it set up. Left the Oyster Rainier cartridge that came with table in for now - weight set to 2.0g - verified with Shure weight scale - and tracking in the second notch. VTA should be okay as it is a factory installed cartridge. Looking forward to playing some vinyl this evening after a few beverages.

May switch out go Goldring E3 tomorrow for comparison. It has a VTA angle of 20 degrees same as Rainier cartridge. Would that suggest VTA is already set properly for the E3?

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Installed the E3. It sounds so much better than the Rainier. The Rainier is not as crisp and the base sounds a little muddled.

Got the E3 aligned on the first try. Set to 2.0g weight. Adjusted VTA slightly - got it as close as I think I can tonearm parallel to the a medium thickness record.

Quick question for the folks here. The Rainier cartridge had a flat spacer between it and the tonearm. Not sure why that would be there. I have not installed it with the E3. Any reason I should use the spacer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts