Planar 1 cartridge upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Even if there are markings on the weight, they're usually off, so a scale is kind of a must, imo. Nothing fancy, I think you can find some at 25-35 quid, and it's a one time investment.
Whilst I would tend to agree this turntable is basic and you only have to move the counterweight as far as it will go on the stub for it to balance the fitted cartridge. No other adjustments.
This is why I mentioned the weight of the replacement cartridge in question, if it doesn't equal that of the Carbon then a scale will be required.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I would tend to agree this turntable is basic and you only have to move the counterweight as far as it will go on the stub for it to balance the fitted cartridge. No other adjustments.
This is why I mentioned the weight of the replacement cartridge in question, if it doesn't equal that of the Carbon then a scale will be required.
Carbin weight 5 grams
At95vme 5.7

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Something like this should be sufficient for your needs:
That's a good spot. Funny how some manufacturers put their own logo on these and sell them for a small fortune.... :)

Reactions: James83

daytona600

You will never see a rega cartridge on any other deck & most rega owners have swapped out the cartridge for something better
rega cartridgres are 14mm deep & every other cartridge on the market is 18mm deep & fit any of the millions of TTs on the market
you will need 3-5mm headshell shims or VTA risers to get the VTA correct but extra tonearm height could mean you have to remove dust cover
Bias & Tracking weight are fixed so select cartridge of same weight & bias adjustment
something like a technics SL you can fit a csrtridge in about 10secs , Carbon is actually about $10 new from china
https://drewlustro.com/blog/rega-rp1-stock-cartridge-replacement

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8STonWhg4

Last edited:
You will never see a rega cartridge on any other deck & most rega owners have swapped out the cartridge for something better
rega cartridgres are 14mm deep & every other cartridge on the market is 18mm deep & fit any of the millions of TTs on the market
you will need 3-5mm headshell shims or VTA risers to get the VTA correct but extra tonearm height could mean you have to remove dust cover
Bias & Tracking weight are fixed so select cartridge of same weight & bias adjustment
https://drewlustro.com/blog/rega-rp1-stock-cartridge-replacement
Pretty sure the tracking weight is adjustable by moving the counterweight back a bit is it not?
As explained the Rega Carbon is based on the AT 91 so whatever the depth the AT 95 will be the same I believe so no shimmering should be required.
Admittedly this isn't the turntable that warrants upgrading.

Reactions: EricLeRouge

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the tracking weight is adjustable by moving the counterweight back a bit is it not?
As explained the Rega Carbon is based on the AT 91 so whatever the depth the AT 95 will be the same I believe so no shimmering should be required.
Admittedly this isn't the turntable that warrants upgrading.
Fitted the AT
Sounds great but the tracking weight was really hard to adjust
Once i pushed the counterweight full up the arm seemed to lower smoothly.
Just wondered with the 0.7 of a gram increase in cartridge weight whether that will be a problem.
As i say it sounds great at the moment

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Rega Elys would be my choice, and I would experiment using Baerwald or Sterenson alignment (either) with two screws only. My experience of the Rega 3-point alignment is great for starting safe and fool-proof, but far from ideal soundwise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts