Pixar/Dreamworks CGI films - worth the upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on upgrading these type of films?

The only CGI film I have on BD is WALL-E, and while the picture is stunning, after watching Toy Story and Monsters Inc. on DVD today (on my Sony BDP-S350), I can't help thinking that the difference in quality is far less apparent than with 'normal' films.

Obviously with the BD versions there are HD soundtracks to consider, but purely from a picture perspective, to my eyes at least, it's hard to tell the difference - maybe I need to get to Specsavers!
emotion-15.gif

(I was watching them on a Panasonic TH-42PX80)

bigdigger

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
No need to go to specsavers, I agree. The first time I fired up my PS3, enhanced with monster HDMI and Russ Andrews power cables, running through my phillips 42" 7603 I first played Wallee and was decidedly underwhelmed. My Fiancee and her brother even remarked about the relative lack of "wow" factor. I then watched Apocalypto and was blown away by the difference in colours and skin tones. It does indeed seem that animation is less of a step up in terms of picture quality.

As you say sound is another matter. On my Onkyo 605 there is a noticable difference in the dynamic shifts, try to watch We Were Soldiers without a smug grin!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
By far the biggest advancement of Blu Ray is in the audio delivery IMO.

However dont forget that your Sony was upscaling the images also to 1080p so the difference visually will not be much.

Try plugging in an old DVD player via scart and watch one, you WILL see the difference!!

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:
By far the biggest advancement of Blu Ray is in the audio delivery IMO.

However dont forget that your Sony was upscaling the images also to 1080p so the difference visually will not be much.

Try plugging in an old DVD player via scart and watch one, you WILL see the difference!!

Yes i agree try watching 'cars' dvd via ps3 upscaled and the picture is superb..put it on pause and it looks like a polished photograph.

A

Anonymous

Have to say that watching Wall-e on dvd via hdmi into a sony rear projection set then a bdp-s550 via component into a projector you could really see the picture was better. especially the start where you see him from above going through the rubbish. in the first set up the dust looked like tracks where as you could tell it was dust rising on the blu-ray. I think the dvd wass upscaled also.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've said this before, but once you get to a certain level I don't really see how a 1% increase in picture quality can substantially enhance your enjoyment of a movie.

Music, well that's a completely different kettle of fish

ÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
bigdigger:
No need to go to specsavers, I agree. The first time I fired up my PS3, enhanced with monster HDMI and Russ Andrews power cables, running through my phillips 42" 7603 I first played Wallee and was decidedly underwhelmed. My Fiancee and her brother even remarked about the relative lack of "wow" factor. I then watched Apocalypto and was blown away by the difference in colours and skin tones. It does indeed seem that animation is less of a step up in terms of picture quality.

As you say sound is another matter. On my Onkyo 605 there is a noticable difference in the dynamic shifts, try to watch We Were Soldiers without a smug grin!

If Wall-E on Blu-ray doesn't look amazing then you need to check your settings!
emotion-2.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I note that the OP has (like me) an HD Ready TV. ÿThe blu-ray image isn't quite razor sharp - like on some of the best Full HD sets - but it's still quite a step up from DVD. ÿI decided to try blu-ray when the Sony BDP-350 price tumbled and I haven't regretted it. ÿThere's spectacular colour density, heightened contrast and lack of picture noise compared with DVD and it brings out all the best qualities of my Pioneer 8G.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts