Upscaled DVD vs Blu-Ray 720p TV

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Blu-Ray is not worth the extra cost if you don't have a full 1080p TV let me explain, I have a 37" Panasonic plasma 720p TV and a Philips 3100 blu-ray player BUT I also have a Denon 1940 upscaling DVD player (one of the best) now I have oompared several blu-ray films with the DVD version and have found that there is little difference between blu-ray on the Philips and DVD played on the Denon upscaled to 720p, I can say that the Denon is much better at upscaling DVD's than the Philips, in fact I think I like the picture better from the DVD's through the Denon than the Blu-Ray's as it gives a more cinema look. Does anyone think I am wrong, views please.

nads

I am sure that this has been covered many times on here. But for me BD and HDDVD blow any upscaled DVD out if the water. not just in picture but also with the sound. Ok my screen is bigger than yours and was the best that could be got at the time but.....

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a 50" TV and its a samsung plasma - i also have a denon DVD 1930 and as good as upscaled DVD's look they are not even close to being even around 70% as good as blu-ray on my system - with Blu-Ray - the picture is far more crisp and i can clearly make out the difference

As has been suggested above the audio is also way different - DTS-HD(ma) is way beyond just regular DTS and i have enough blu-rays that i also own the DVD of to compare

Even the backups i do of my blurays onto Harddrive into MKV-HD format to play via my Nas onto my Mede8er media player look way better than any DVD by miles - and as i have said i dont have a 1080P TV - the thing is though my TV accepts a 1080p signal and the TV then downscales it to play onto the screen - but in the meantime i still get a superb picture from whatever HD source im playing and as i have said it is definitely way better than DVD as a source and with absolutely no exaggeration this is by huge margins

Two years ago i used to say that DVD playback was superb - but now i can see its limitations as i use Blu-ray more and more ....... all i can think of is that maybe your blu-ray player is not good enough and is probably limiting your experience

A

Anonymous

Upscaled DVD will in my eyes never be as good a Bluray, yes i have a better TV but even when i had my 42" Viera Plasma (only HD ready) i noticed the difference between an upscaled DVD on my old Pana DVD player via an HDMI to my PS3 playing a Bluray.

kitkat said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Blu-Ray is not worth the extra cost if you don't have a full 1080p TV let me explain, I have a 37" Panasonic plasma 720p TV and a Philips 3100 blu-ray player BUT I also have a Denon 1940 upscaling DVD player (one of the best) now I have oompared several blu-ray films with the DVD version and have found that there is little difference between blu-ray on the Philips and DVD played on the Denon upscaled to 720p, I can say that the Denon is much better at upscaling DVD's than the Philips, in fact I think I like the picture better from the DVD's through the Denon than the Blu-Ray's as it gives a more cinema look. Does anyone think I am wrong, views please.

In your case, things are a little different. As you've only got a 720p TV, DVDs have to upscale less compared to a 1080p TV, so the results will be better. Also, blu-ray discs have to downscale to 720p (so even blu ray pictures are processed) resulting in some degradation. That's why you can't notice much difference. Of course, not to forget that the difference is more pronounced in larger screens.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DVD can look excellent on a 37/40" screen, as long as the DVD itself has been decently mastered, and has been upscaled by a quality upscaler. But, however good the upscaling is, it can't match the detail level of Bluray, the contrast level, the black depth, or the sharpness. I have a 42" Panasonic at the girlfriend's house which isn't 1080p, and although some DVD's look really good, you can tell straight away when you're watching a Bluray. We can't see your set up, so it's hard to say why you might not be seeing much of a difference. Assuming everything is set up correctly, try watching a few scenes of films that show a landscape - Rogue is an excellent case in point - the views of the Australian forests and landscaping are awesome, as good as I've seen in any HD nature programme. Check out long shots of forests, buildings, landscapes etc, these will show big differences in resolving detail when compared to DVD - distance detail resolution isn't a strong point of DVD due to it's heavy compression.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts