Pioneer SC LX71 any good ?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It is an excellent amp, one of the very best at the price point. It is very good for music but if you are gettting a demonstration you should test it against the Yamaha RXV1900 as it is also very good with music but with a different tone.

Nice car - if that is your F40.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Hi Minigill,

I've just bought the SC-LX71 (upgraded from my old AX5i), and I've been very impressed so far. I'm using it with a BDP-LX71 Blu-ray. My old AX5i was not so good with music (though brilliant with DVD sound), but the SC-LX71 is! It still doesn't compete with a good hi-fi amp (my old circa £500 NAD 319 was better in stereo, with bass speed and definition being noticeably superior in particular), but it's good enough to get me playing my old CDs again using its pure direct mode. Its performance with HD sound, though, is very, very good indeed. That could, of course, be down to the audio feed its getting from Blu-ray. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I'm fairly sure that the way the Receiver amps are designed and from a post read in this forum, that they will not be able to compete with a standalone Stereo based system, the circuitry and complexity of it also affects how it will perfom. there are receivers that are better in a musical sense than others. Has to be a trade off somewhere I would think. If you search for the receiver in question I'm sure there will be posts that can provide more insight, IMHO from what I've read, this is one of the better performers.

sc00bie.

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate that there is a compromise, I am changing from Yam VX2600 so I am hoping for some improvement !

Went to my local Sevenoaks yesterday to at least see whats in the market, they mentioned the VX1900 but they reckon it would be about the same as mine and not a step up (apart from HD sound etc) They also highly recommended the Marantz SR8002, with the leaning towards the music side. I am not too worried about upscaling. I do not have Blu Ray yet, thats to follow mid year.

So the short list is Pio (not sure I can justify the LX81), VX1900 and Marantz. I don't like the Onks so they are discounted !

My system is B & W 685, LCR600, REL quake and 3 surround.

Keep the comments soming in, most helpful !

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
It is an excellent amp, one of the very best at the price point. It is very good for music but if you are gettting a demonstration you should test it against the Yamaha RXV1900 as it is also very good with music but with a different tone.

Nice car - if that is your F40.

Nick

The nearest I get to the F40 is my nice red mini - well its red ! The picture was taken by me though !!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Personally I would say the 1900 is a step up from the 2600. The Sr8002 is very good indeed and often overlooked. The LX81 is another step up again but for the extra money I would invest in a more powerful subwoofer and stick with the 71 or 1900, that would raise the system performance futrher than just the amp.

Nick

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Nick.

Upgrading sub not an option. I have to watch movies when the neighbours are out already ! Flats....

Why did it have to be Sunday, trying to demo the Pio's but no where is open ! How would you rate the Marantz against the 71 for music ?

I guess my listening is 60% TV, 40% music. My CD is Arcam, can't quite remember the model (£450). Is one of these say more suited to speakers.

Gill

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz would have the edge on music with your set up as it is slightly richer/fuller. If you listen to dance/rock music then the slightly forward balance on the 71 may suit but i would say the Marantz has the edge overall.

Nick

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I have read alot of HDMI issues with 71 & 81, with SKY HD (others inputs also), but this is the only one I would be connecting currently. Is this issue applicable to all machines, or is it lucky dip ?

I think I am leaning towards the Marantz.

Thanks again Nick.

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nick or anyone, yes another question ! Does the Marantz still suffer the audessy bug (ref subwoofer), and have read that some of the SR8002 need firmware upgrades ref DTS time bomb? I am hoping that buying new now, these may have been ironed out ?

Appreciate your comments.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Minigill, we are relatively new Marantz dealers - the last 6 months - so I am unaware of the bug you mention. We certainly have had no issues what so ever with any of the Marantz product we have installed or supplied. I will look into it though and can test out our model tomorrow.

I also have no news on the DTS update - we did have that with the older Yamahas - once again I will check and come back at some point tomorrow.

Nick

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nick

Really appreciate your help. I haven't found a really helpful dealer in my area, they tend to either give me every bit of tech info in the world so I haven't a clue what they are talking about, or discount me completely being female, more the latter to the point where they walk past me and I have to ask for help.

Gill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts