Pioneer Receiver and Blue-ray player systems (current and forthcoming)

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

I am considering buying a Pioneer SC-LX AV Receiver and Pioneer BDP LX71 Blue-ray player and have a few questions in this respect:

Q 1 – I noticed that Pioneer are introducing a new range of AV Receivers in the summer, e.g. the VSX-919AH and VSX-1019AH in June 2009. Will this range replace the SC-LX range and is it of equivalent specification and cost, or is this a lower specification and cost range?

Q 2 – If Pioneer are releasing a new AV Receiver range, does this mean that they will also be launching a new Blue-ray player range with Profile 2.0 capability, to replace the likes of the BDP LX71 and other players in that range?

I don’t want to spend £2,200 and suddenly find the new ranges specification and/or performance is superior and all I had to do was wait a few weeks to invest in it. I, however, recognise that when a manufacturer introduces a new product range, even if it is intended to supersede an older range, the focus is often on improved or additional functions (invariably gimmicks), but the overall performance of the new equipment may not necessarily be an enhancement on the older models.

Q 3 – I have a Philips Cineos Flat LCD TV with Pixel Plus 2 HD, Ambilight 2, with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768p. (This is the last time I will believe any manufacturer when they say their products are “future proof!!”)

I would prefer to invest money on higher specification home cinema hi-fi equipment and continue using my existing TV, rather than upgrade my TV and have less funds to spend on the hi-fi gear.

Using the above Pioneer equipment, or that of comparable quality, is the difference in visual detail on a TV with a 1366 x 768p screen resolution, going to be appreciably superior on a TV with a 1920 x 1080p screen resolution?

Cheers, Sonic Dreamer.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The new VSX-919 and VSX-1019 will replace the VSX-918 and VSX-1018 respectively. I haven't heard of the LX (Elite) models being replaced yet.
Do a google for " Pioneer 2009 blu ray players CES " and a host of sites with news of the new players will come up. I had a look on WHF but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can point it out if it does exist in the News section. No Euro/UK news as far as though regarding our model numbers. The specs will be similar though.

All the Japanese manufacturers re-vamp their ranges at this time of year. Sony, Yamaha and Onkyo have also announced new models but only at the budget end. I have yet to hear of any mid-high end stuff from them. Denon didn't replace the 3808 or 4308, other than 'a' update which brought them line with the rest of the 2008/2009 lower models so they might be due for replacement but who knows?

When you hit the dealers to demo your prospective BD player and AV Receiver, I would also suggest looking a newer TVs. The resolution issue comes down to a number of factors inc. screen size, viewing distance and so on but ultimately if your BD player can output 1080p/24fps, why not get a big screen or projector to display it?!!

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, for the info. and advice. Having seen the "light-weight" build of the Pioneer AV receivers in some shops yesterday, I am now looking to go for a ONKYO TX-SR876 or Yamaha Receiver and a Pioneer BDP-LX91 Blu-ray.

Cheers, SonicD

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have an HD ready 'only' TV and I don't have the opinion that I am missing much not having a 1080P TV.

With an SD source I had the opinion that my picture was sharper than the equivalent 1080 model of the time and since 'ordinary' standard definition was the main source of viewing, I saw no need to buy the full HD set.

Now while there's more on offer now by means of SKY's HD system, most of my viewing is still SD and not HD. This is why all advice is usually to audition TV's with both SD and HD sources.

At 42" there's a common feeling that the difference is minimal anyway at normal viewing range.

I would get the best source equipment you can afford at present and when funds allow or the need arises, switch to a 1080 set if you feel the need.

There's very little in the AV market that is fully future proof. They're already working on different screens (OLED & 21:9) and higher resolutions (think it's 4 times the current resolution) so don't place too much emphasis on this. If it fits your current needs with allowances for one or two upgrades - you may have only one item with HDMI now, but before the amp or TV is replaced you may have 3 or 4 that need an HDMI connections for example.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sonic D,

is there any reason in particular you've gone for the Pioneer 'LX91 Blu-ray player? Also, what screen/projector and speakers will you be using with the amp?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sonic Dreamer: Thanks, for the info. and advice. Having seen the "light-weight" build of the Pioneer AV receivers in some shops yesterday,

Light-weight? Which receivers were you looking at? And more to the point, which shops did you find that actually had some in?

A

Anonymous

I certainly would not say light weight either - digital amps may lessen the load slightly in weight terms but at least you don't get any heat issues because you have not left 12" of space all round and above (yes onkyo amps do get that hot (have one in another room).

As for screens, well I believe that a good 'HD Ready' (720p / 768p) wipes the floor with many 'full HD' screens.

When you consider -

Sky HD is only 720p (forget the 1080i)

SD tv content only having to be upscaled to 720 line resolution

DVD the same

BluRay is the only exception (for non gamers) which I watch 1 or 2 a week (display is 24fps compatable)

If you are happy with your picture then, imo, stick with it for now and buy a good amp and blu ray and I would strongly recommend, if you can find one, the sc-lx 81 and the bdf 51 or lx71.

Obviously we all know as soon as you unpack any new piece of kit there's probably a new and improved 'a' or 'i' version. that's why we upgrade all the time, although with total honesty I can say that I plan to stick with my kit for as long as possible this time - very happy with it all.

Cheers.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I'm going for the Pioneer LX91 blue-ray because:

1. What H-Fi give it a 5 Star review and the content of the review convinced me it was worth the extra investment.

2. I have demoed one, which supported your review.

2. DB-Live ready, not Bonusview as per the LX71 and LX08.

3. Aluminum construction.

4. 48-bit deep colour.

As a Temporary solution i will be using KEF3005Se speakers (space restrictions).

Cheers,

SonicD.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I do not mean "light-weight" in the sense of the performance or component specification content. The box is not 100% aluminum and I believe has a plastic facia. The knobs are kind of "loose" when you turn them, unlike the taut calibration of the knobs on say a Yamaha RXV3900.

SonicD

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sonic D,

the only reason I ask is that the 'LX91 BD player is really more suited to Pioneer's super high-end SC-LX90 or, for example, the Arcam AVR600. The amps that you mention would fit better with the Pioneer BDP-LX71 and the Sony BDP-S5000ES BD players.

A speaker package such as KEF one that you mention is okay, but to make the most of your amp we'd recommend spending around double your amp's price on a speaker package. Of course, this is only a suggestion - i just thought that i'd throw a few options your way!

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Andy Madden:

Hi Sonic D,

the only reason I ask is that the 'LX91 BD player is really more suited to Pioneer's super high-end SC-LX90 or, for example, the Arcam AVR600. The amps that you mention would fit better with the Pioneer BDP-LX71 and the Sony BDP-S5000ES BD players.

A speaker package such as KEF one that you mention is okay, but to make the most of your amp we'd recommend spending around double your amp's price on a speaker package. Of course, this is only a suggestion - i just thought that i'd throw a few options your way!

Hi Andy, thanks again, I thoroughly understand the principle of what you are saying. My strategy is speculate to accumulate and am looking for long-term flexibility, i.e. I will upgrade the amp and speakers later on. I guess I like "detail" and am prepared to compromise on certain aspects of the system short-term. I have no moral objection to you funding the higher spec speaker package in the interim. ;--)

Cheers, SonicD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts