Pioneer A400 - too bright?

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Morning all.

In my quest to get back into vinyl again, I bought a Pioneer A400 to go with my Rega Planar 3 and B&W DM601 speakers.

The clarity but I'm finding the sound way too bright and trebly for my taste. Any suggestions?

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I would agree about that top end. It was always a problem with the A400.

A cartridge with a dull top end (Rega?) might be the way to go.

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Change your speakers? :)

What interconnects / cartridge are you using?

The connections between the TT and amp are the inbuilt Rega efforts. The cartridge is a Grado GT.

It's just as trebly with CD (if not more so). The CD player is a Pioneer PDR609 and the interconnects are the Klotz AC110/Neutrik Profi combo made by KaBL.

Are the B&W's known for being trebly, then?

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The A400 was always an analytical amp, but not very musical. It's Phono input was below par as well.

I owned one for 3 years and realised that it needs neutral and controlled sources and speakers. Plus it's handling of deep bass was wayward.

Saying that though the B&Ws are nor a great speaker. Lack control in the low end, plus the top end is exposed due to the recessed midrange. Changing the amp won't undo their disjointed sound.

I eventually paired some Mission 780SEs, then the Rega Kytes. Both had differing presentations but they both helped mask the A400s incisive sound.

Long term though you'd be better served (if you are looking at 2nd hand) with an old Creek 4040s2, Naim Nait 3, or Rega Brio 3 (all had good phono stages), as I think they can all still be serviced at some point (essential to maintain performance).

Plus change the B&Ws. They will always impart their character so much that equipment changes won't be as apparent as they would be through more musical speakers.

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
The A400 was always an analytical amp, but not very musical. It's Phono input was below par as well.

I owned one for 3 years and realised that it needs neutral and controlled sources and speakers. Plus it's handling of deep bass was wayward.

Saying that though the B&Ws are nor a great speaker. Lack control in the low end, plus the top end is exposed due to the recessed midrange. Changing the amp won't undo their disjointed sound.

I eventually paired some Mission 780SEs, then the Rega Kytes. Both had differing presentations but they both helped mask the A400s incisive sound.

Long term though you'd be better served (if you are looking at 2nd hand) with an old Creek 4040s2, Naim Nait 3, or Rega Brio 3 (all had good phono stages), as I think they can all still be serviced at some point (essential to maintain performance).

Plus change the B&Ws. They will always impart their character so much that equipment changes won't be as apparent as they would be through more musical speakers.

Great advice - thank you. I was thinking of floorstanders - any thoughts?

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Brentford Bob said:
nara said:
I would agree about that top end. It was always a problem with the A400.

Anything you'd recommend that's a bit smoother - in a similar s/h price bracket?
Marantz PM66KI is quite a bit smoother with a decent phono stage as well.

Ta muchly - I like the idea of the Marantz because of the remote. I didn't think I'd miss one but since I gave my old Onkyo "all in one" to my son and got the A400, I do!

I love this hi-fi "thing" - I don't know why I ever gave it up in the first place! :)

TRENDING THREADS