Pink Floyd Reissues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
lambda said:
Also - what's your definition of igd?

Thanks!

Chris.

Whoops nearly forgot this part Chris.

Well exactly as it says on the tin, distorted,spitty,muddy,generaly rank.

99% of the way to ( audibly) eliminate it,imo, is all down to cart set up and cart/stylus type. Tbh ive never ever had any problems at all but ive heard it and sorted it out for a mate. Bad set up from day one.

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry if I was being a bit unclear. The distortion happens (and by definition of distortion, I mean exactly that: distorted sound that lacks any sense of clarity; muddled, distorted audio that just sounds terrible, crackly and mishapen) at the end of track 'eclipse' at about the last 30 seconds mark (always in the same place on the same record).

I think this is because the record is damaged (as other records don't do this), so my original post was about good replacements for that, but I guess it's gone down into the route of learning about igd, and checking my TT setup (which I haven't got round to yet, but I promise to do it!! :) )

So I'm finding this post to be very useful and insightful to me! :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Mornin Chris.

It really does read as though you somehow have some groove damage, which is a shame but these things happen. Maybe, just maybe, there is a stubborn piece of muck clinging on for dear life in the last few grooves , give it a damn good clean,you never know your luck, although its a long shot.

Dont boil your brain about igd , if you have had no problems with other records then forget about it and just enjoy your records.

:)

A

Anonymous

Hiya,

I am about to order a disco antistat cleaner, so looking forward to seeing how that will improve my records. Yes I think if it was true igd it would happen all the time and be really noticeable on all the records. So I'm hoping it's a bit of muck stuck on the grooves... :)

Thanks ever so much for all your help so far! :) :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Not a problem Chris. However, alongside the Disco and its supplied fluid , try to get hold of some isopropanol fluid and if you are in a hard water area get some pure distilled water. Mix it 3-1 or 4-1 ( in favour of the water !) dosnt really matter. After you have cleaned with the disco fluid go through the process again with the prope mix.

There used to be a prope seller on the bay of pigs.

As i said its a longshot but if there is something stuck down there, and it dosnt have to be much, then your stylus wont be tracking properly and just bouncing around like a good un.

It could also quite easily be a teeny bit of rubbish in the vinyl, that no way on this planet could you see. Record companys have a nasty habit of using re-grind vinyl which can contain ,well pretty much anything really. Bits of label, *** ends you name it.

So really there could be any number of reasons why the cart isnt tracking correctly but a record cleaner,of some form or other, is a good investment at the end of the day.

A

Anonymous

Disco Antistat ordered! :)

Thanks for tip regarding the bespoke solution, will certainly give that a go. Seems easy enough to make I think.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
oops,sory thought there were some floyd fans in here :wall:

the guys from home theater said that you hi-fi guys wa' a bit :shifty: lol

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
oops,sory thought there were some floyd fans in here :wall:
There's loads of Floyd fans on here...what he meant was, post your query about the CD remasters in the general HiFi section, not the turntable section :)

A

Anonymous

Ok, the 30th Anniversary CD (washing mouth out with soap as we speak) also has sibilance on the lead voice on Eclipse, it's in the mix, my Vinyl version is no different on that front.

I still need to dig out an old LP version from a box somewhere to compare it to.

-N-

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I bought the 2011 remaster of DSotM on CD and I was diappointed to find that it appeared by all accounts to be a 'remaster of a remaster', ie a remastering of the digital master from the 80s, not a re-recording from the analogue mastertape, which is what I wanted it to be. So to be honest, seeing that I already have a copy of the 80s DSotM which IMO is substandard, I felt cheated.

A

Anonymous

I'm still awaiting delivery of my antistat. Does anyone here know how good it is at removing general static/background hiss? I bought a copy of Meddle from the bay of pigs, claimed to be: Ex/Near Mint with:

"just a few seconds of very light static at the start of both sides... crystal clear audio...".

Turns out the light static extends throughout most of side 2. The audio is clear, but in the light passages of echoes the static comes through. I hope the antistat can eliminate it, otherwise I feel like complaining to this seller, who is a bit dishonest I feel.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
AntiStat does work, but if the record needs cleaning as well (most s/h recrds seem to) then it will only partially elliminate the issue.

The problem lies in the relative subjectivity of people's "EX/NM" gradings. What's "excellent" to one person is FUBAR'd to another. Some people think a record is worthy of 'excellent' if the damn thing just plays without skipping, and some sellers only judge visually.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
99% of pigbay sellers claiming ' Ex /Nr Mint' are liars.

99% of pigbay sellers claiming 'This cart only has 200 hrs on it' are liars.

Domestos kills 99% of household germs .... eh! what was the question again,lol.

Ah yes Disco anti stuff fluid. Yip taint too bad at ridding the static. Theres a clue in the brand name :p.

A

Anonymous

Well, the audio certainly is excellent quality: very clear. Just some background static creaping in the lighter passages. Visually the record is very clean to start with.

Where is a good place to get S/H records?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Try your local oxfam etc. At least you can inspect them and on the plus side you can take them back if goosed. Google discogs, register,then take out a second mortgage. Maybe im lucky but i have never had a bad result from discogs (kiss of death),lol.

Loads of s/h shoppies on tinterwebbie.

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone!

My antistat cleaner came so thought I'd update everyone on the progress.

So I cleaned 6 records, including Meddle and DSOTM. Meddle has vastly improved, the static before was annoying, but now it's barable (and in fact you tune out of the static now). The biggest improvement after the cleaning was the fact the sound has opened up massively! More detail and clarity, but the biggest difference is that the soundstage seems huge now.

On to dstom...

I played the record through last night and I have to say that it is the best audio experience I've ever gone through. The sound stage is now MASSIVE. If you close your eyes you can image a stage that must be 30 metres wide. My whole living room is alive with Pink Floyd. The clarity is razor sharp, dynamics are very musical and overall it just sounds wonderful. The cleaning made a huge difference to the sound, which is amazingly smooth and natural.

Now for Eclipse. This time the there was no distortion, in fact I could hear everything that was going on. The vocals were clear (but with siblance, I'll come back to that in a bit) and I could hear the backing vocals. It's a really really busy track and that is very obvious now. After the record I played the CD (the SACD version, but on a normal CD player). My first impression was "Wow, where has all the sound gone???" Seriously, it was like going from a 30 metre wide stage to a 2 metre wide stage. The vinyl just sounds incredible and the CD seems to have sucked the life out of the music. I never noticed this before but it's really true. Eclipse on the CD actually sounds worse now that the vinyl. The vocals are also with siblance, and I think because the record is so much more in terms of texture, it sounds more busier. BUt it's now perfectly listenable and enjoyable.

So in conclusion: there was probably some crud on the record. The antistat really opened up the sound. In fact I couldn't believe the difference!

A

Anonymous

Great news, your outcome seems to mirror my views of the 30th Anniversary Vinyl and CD (SACD) - glad you are enjoying it.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Nice result Lambda. Okey dokey, if you want to blitz dsotm in the mastering dept and put a huge silly grin on your face buy the following, unless you already have em then dont ,lol.

The Final Cut. Without a shadow of a doubt the best sq of all Floyd slabs, end of, i wont listen to any againsts,lol.

Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Just buy it . :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Very good indeed.

I have to fully agree with you: while I've only ever heard two CD issues of DSotM (the original 80s pressing and the 2011 remaster) I'm still waiting to hear one which comes remotely close to a good vinyl pressing. I don't know why creating a really good stereo CD of DSotM is so hard. I'd even wager that any vinyl pressings from the past ten to fifteen years have been sourced from digital archives in Abbey Road to start with, including the 30th Anniversary LP which I highly rate, so it's not a problem which can be pinpointed directly at digital per se. Yet somehow it just doesn't work well on CD. On CD it's clinical, narrow, cold and uninviting. Just about the polar opposite of the same album on vinyl.

A

Anonymous

"On CD it's clinical, narrow, cold and uninviting. "

Yes, that was *exactly* what I thought when I put the CD on. My friend has the new box set of all of Pink Floyd. Can't say I'm amazingly impressed by the SQ on there either.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The best version of DSotM I possess on CD is the CDR I made myself from the 30th Anniversary LP. This is despite the fact that, compared to the commercial CD, the potential SQ of my home-recorded CD has been compromised by my turntable/arm/cartridge, my amp, my audio interface, the limitations of the vinyl LP itself as an audio-carrying medium, and the limitations of the cutting/pressing processes behind its manufacture. Go figure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts